• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My age is 30 but I want to dress younger.

BullionBro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was wearing chinos and my aunt said I look older and more mature...Several people tell me similar things.

I want to stop wearing chinos for a while and go with nice jeans. Can you please post some high quality jeans and a shirt that goes well with the jeans but does not look too old...

I hope this makes sense. I know 30 is not old but it feels bad knowing you are getting older. I just want to dress young! :)

apparition

Reaction score
What kind of build do you have?

Ideally, you want to go for a fitted look. Personally, I go with a pair of Dior 19cms and a BoO shirt. APC denim is also good. So is Gitman Brothers Vintage for shirts.

Better start reading

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, chinos by themselves do not make you look older. However, the cut of the chinos and how they fit your body type might. Anything in a slimmer, more modern cut will make you look more youthful. People on these forums will likely say Nudie, APC, and the like. Personally they aren't my favorite (due to their fit, not their quality).

On the more expensive side: AG Jeans (the softest I have ever found) is my favorite brand

Cheaper Side: Levis, they have a plethora of fits and styles.

In regards to shirts, just about any shirt can be paired with jeans. Again, it may be the fit, baggy shirts flatter just about no one. Look into tailored fit shirts, probably something (but not necessarily) with a button-down collar.

BullionBro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is the body type I have. Its not me but i searched for jeans:

BullionBro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What kind of build do you have?
Ideally, you want to go for a fitted look. Personally, I go with a pair of Dior 19cms and a BoO shirt. APC denim is also good. So is Gitman Brothers Vintage for shirts.
Better start reading

I am new to the denim section. What is a boO shirt?

I was not able to find them

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again I think APC or Dior will be too tight on you personally, but you are welcome to try them. The APC Rescue might be OK. BoO is not cheap, but it makes nice stuff. For $220, I would just get a custom tailored shirt. If you want to spend less, try J. Crew or better yet, Kent Wang. Only problem with Kent is his styles are pretty limited.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider buying jeans from Uniqlo. Their jeans are cheap as dirt, and there is a wide range of cuts. Their shirts may work for you as well.

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can still wear chinos, just tapered and cropped everything.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 28 and all I wear are various styles of Levi's. Once you nail down your size, it makes it so easy to buy different styles.

I have and recommend the following:

514 Jeans

513 Blue

511 Commuter Chinos

Here are some ****** pics of me wearing:

I've never felt the need to purchase anything beyond simple $50 Levi's as I don't find much, if any, improvement in durability or comfort in the +$200 pants offerings. Further, fit is everything, and it's often a crapshoot if purchasing various brands and styles online.

Another option I haven't personally tried, but has been recommended to me by friends, are pants from http://www.bonobos.com/

Last edited:

lckychrmsbboy

Reaction score
walk into hollister or abercrombie and grab a bunch of stuff...there ya go!!!

but seriously, there have been some good points posted. why don't you post up a fit pic of what you would normally wear? It may just be the cut of the chinos. I'm 27 and need to start dressing a little better. I mainly wear jeans and a tshirt or woven. Surf through this site and you can get some great ideas specially in the "what are you wearing today" thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads