• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My AE Park Avenue shoes are hurting my toes

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of them over a month ago from Nordstrom, so I don't think I can return them. I usually wear a size 10 but the salesperson put me in a 9.5E, which was okay in the store. Then I went on a trip and didn't get a chance to wear them for awhile. Basically, when I walk with them the crease pushes down on my toe (between the knuckle of the big toe and the foot itself and it hurts. I usually live with it, but I'd definitely prefer not to have to.

Someone one this forum said to use a quarter on my toe, but that didn't really work.

Will I get used to it? Will it stop after being worn in? Should I try and get an exchange (with no receipt and box, so I'll probably have to eBay)?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its nordstrom, so you have a good chance of getting an exchange

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
I got a pair of AE Burtons a couple months ago. Perfect fit except I had the same issue (only on right foot). I figured it was just a breaking-in issue. I don't wear them often enough to see if this is the case, though. I'm hopeful more wears and conditioner will soften the area out.

jmix1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I bought a pair of them over a month ago from Nordstrom, so I don't think I can return them.

Nordstrom has one of the most liberal return policies of any department store. As long as you have the receipt (and maybe the box too) they will take them back. I just returned a pair of AEs that I had worn once. They returned them and let me keep the AE box and shoe bags. The SA told me that he's seen people return shoes they have worn for 5 years for a full refund.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope that works then. Just to reiterate, I do not have the box nor the receipt. I only have the bag they came in. I guess I might as well try.

jmix1

Reaction score
I hope that works then. Just to reiterate, I do not have the box nor the receipt. I only have the bag they came in. I guess I might as well try.

Might still work. Tell them the SA put you in the wrong size if they balk. I wouldn't normally advocate returning shoes that have been worn nor taking advantage of Nordstrom's return policy, but in your case I think there are some grounds.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's just the crease, buy some double-thick moleskin and wear it on the offended toe for the next few times you wear the shoes.

Steggy

Reaction score
Hmm, might be tricky without a reciept, but it would be undeniably unfair to deny a return on a pair of shoes if you were misled by their sales rep putting you in a half a size lower than you should have been. Of course it wasn't intentional, but the customer should not pay for the mistake of the company that sells the product. He was told it would fit and when he had the chance to put that endorsement to the test he proved it wrong. Of course I would try to be cordial when explaining this to the customer service rep, but when it is a sizable purchase like that for unusable shoes, if they try to sneak out of it you can try to escalate while still being cordial. I dunno.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Go to norstrom, go exchange or return them explaining clearly your reason. If they give you some pushback, go to customer service and get someone to exhange or return for you there.
If you purchased with a credit card there is no need (although required by their written policy) to show a receipt or sku tag on box. They can simply look up your credit card activity and locate it that way.

I do not condone returning worn shoes after 5 years or any length of time if there's no problem without any just cause, but just to take advantage of their customer service.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steggy
Hmm, might be tricky without a reciept, but it would be undeniably unfair to deny a return on a pair of shoes if you were misled by their sales rep putting you in a half a size lower than you should have been. Of course it wasn't intentional, but the customer should not pay for the mistake of the company that sells the product. He was told it would fit and when he had the chance to put that endorsement to the test he proved it wrong. Of course I would try to be cordial when explaining this to the customer service rep, but when it is a sizable purchase like that for unusable shoes, if they try to sneak out of it you can try to escalate while still being cordial. I dunno.

In fairness to the sales rep, a lot of men do find that have to go a half-size shorter and perhaps one wider with the A-E #5 last. I don't, but many do.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
In fairness to the sales rep, a lot of men do find that have to go a half-size shorter and perhaps one wider with the A-E #5 last. I don't, but many do.

Do you think it could also be a width issue in addition to the length? I've never had shoes hurt me before (except at the ankles).

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There may be several variables involved here. I've seen many.
Do your shoes irritate both feet or only one?
If it's only one, it could be simply the way that shoe "falls" on your foot.
If it's both it could be a "fitting" issue.
When you tried on the shoes (in the store) were you walking on thick carpet or a harder surface such as tile or, hardwood? That will make a big difference in the real feel of the shoe.
Those can be innocent reasons for your problems.
I have also heard of other causes for such problems. A salesperson may be aware that their inventory may be low in size 10 but, they have several pairs of size 9-E. They may be inclined to move the 9-E. I'm not accusing the SP in this case but I've seen it happen.
It could be several other things.

If the problem exists on one shoe it's something innocent. Try bringing them back to Nord's. Explain the problem. Ask them to stretch (by raising) the area thats bothering you. They should be able to accommodate you and it opens the issue to them. If they refuse, offer to bring them to a local cobbler to have it done and ask if they will reimburse you for the service. Those are certainly reasonable requests. If they refuse them tell the manager that you will contact A.E. to make them aware of your treatment and ask for their advice.

ebern

Reaction score
You should have no problem exchanging them at least at Nordstroms, that would be a little more ethical

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think it could also be a width issue in addition to the length? I've never had shoes hurt me before (except at the ankles).

Possibly. The #5 last is both long and narrow.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've had this issue with a few shoes. Usually it will work itself out after the shoe and leather is broken in. If you don't want to / can't exchange them, then I would recommend the following:

1. Mink oil the shoes
2. Put in a pair of shoe trees
3. Wear the shoes and break them in with thicker cotton casual socks

For shoes made in decent leather, this has worked for me every time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads