• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My AE McGraws arrived !!!

Sperry

Reaction score
I've been shoe-hunting for a few months, for the perfect dressy yet casual work shoe.
Here in the States, the McGraw is perhaps not as widely distributed;
at least, that's what I was told.

So trusting on pictures, I ordered the shoes from the local guy, and Wow!, am I impressed!

I like the last, with that particular toe profile. Double-stitched strap [not a full strap, either].
A rich brown that will match 95% of my trousers!

Next is another set, in black, this time.

Newkickers.jpg

Dburr

Reaction score
I like your shoes but I don't know how they can be called dressy.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dburr

He's in Pennsylvania.

Anything non-sneaker is considered "dressy"
facepalm.gif

KPO89

Reaction score

Well they aren't tennis shoes or boat shoes....I would consider loafers on the dressy-er side of casual-dressy.

What do you think of as dressy? Are Park Avenues the only dressy shoe they sell? lol

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice business casual loafer. Would love to see them in a cigar shell
cheers.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those look nice, I hope you didn't pay $325 for them though
foo.gif

zacattacks

Reaction score
Wow people are downers. I think those look amazing, and are exactly what I've been looking for (as in a nice true-brown calfskin penny loafer that can hold a shine.) Have you worn them yet? If so can you comment on the fit, feel?

Dburr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
Well they aren't tennis shoes or boat shoes....I would consider loafers on the dressy-er side of casual-dressy.

What do you think of as dressy? Are Park Avenues the only dressy shoe they sell? lol

Well if you think psuedo penny loafers are "dressy' I guess we don't really have a way to agree on this. Is it because they cost 300+? As i said, I like these shoes - with jeans or casual wear - but dressy? You need educating!

Dburr

Reaction score
In the interest of clarity, I'll admit I don't have the slightest idea what "casual dressy" is. Nor do I want to.

Sperry

Reaction score
Wow! This is a tough room!

OK, one at a time. The shoes are just about the best-built shoe I've yet seen.

Guaranteed for life and craft-able, it is wiser to own these shoes than buy a cheaper shoe that will be discarded after a year.

I'm in my shoes 14 hours a day, sometimes 16 or 17. These are the most comfortable shoes I've yet bought. The only better shoes are the Aldan cordovan loafers, which give better support. At twice the price? Not yet, for me.

Dressy, in that compared to the other sales reps, I'm way ahead. Dressy in the quality. Casual, in that I'm not over-doing it.

I sometimes have to remove shoes in a client's house. Especially in the winter. Now, that is easier.

I paid $260. There is not a single other brown loafer available for half that price that felt anywhere near decent on the foot; in addition, all the other cheaper footwear is abominably-made, with inferior leather. Since I've already done the cheaper route, I figured it was time for a step up.

My last shoe is/was a Polo lace-up. Very durable, but they would require $80 or so to bring into spec, and the side leather is stretched a bit too much to ever give real support.

lee_44106 - Ha-ha. My other coat is a flour sack. If you've toured small town Pennsylvania, you'd see where "Old Money" in America really came from. Coal, timber, textiles [water power made Pennsylvania an economic powerhouse in Colonial America].

NH_Clark - I, too. I'm probably going to get another pair of McGraws in black. My pair after that would be the shell cordovan, in the traditional burgundy.

Tarmac - Thanks, T-man! Yes, they look nice. I particularly love the simplicity. As an artist and musician, I know how hard it is to have understated quality. Too many people substitute quantity and embellishment for substance of form. It is even better to hold one and marvel at the perfect workmanship. I got 20% off these, and am waiting for a particular sale to get 20% + 20% off my next pair [in black]. BTW, factory seconds are only 20%~25% off; I prefer to buy 1st run shoes, and give the business to the local guy.

zacattacks They feel very nice, and will feel better in a few weeks. The Aldan shell cordovan was, however, a perfect-feeling, firm but not tight, solid-wearing shoe. If money is no object, I'd have spent another $250 for the better leather.

Wah-hoo
over priced boring shoe!
PaoloM - Don't I wish I was you, with obviously better taste and available selection.

In the interest of clarity, I'll admit I don't have the slightest idea what "casual dressy" is. Nor do I want to.
Dburr - Thank you, sir. I'll keep in mind you have no interest in my opinions and speculations. At the beginning of all future posts, I'll probably include a short note for you to disregard the following communications.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes. I love the color. My compliments. A very nice last for AE too.

markbao

Reaction score
Those look fantastic! Love the style.

KPO89

Reaction score
Well if you think psuedo penny loafers are "dressy' I guess we don't really have a way to agree on this. Is it because they cost 300+? As i said, I like these shoes - with jeans or casual wear - but dressy? You need educating!

Oh come on man....I said the were on the dressier side of dressy-casual....not that they were dressy....I would never wear them with a suit. I don't even own a pair of loafers...its all oxfords for me.

Give me a break...I was trying to congratulate this guy because he was satisfied with his new shoes! Trying not to rain on his parade like everyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads