• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My AE Coltons turned into multicolor spectator

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I've been planning this for a while and I finally did it this past weekend. I knew the risk of a catastrophe a la josepidal and did a 3 hours on one day, and a 2 hour touch up the next day.
I used burgundy Kiwi wax polish on the captoe and the heel mirror polished, and used navy shoe cream to create a green hue on the quarters leather piece. Tan polish to even out the original chestnut color for the vamp.

IMGP2114.jpg

IMGP2113.jpg

The photos are as close as it is in person. The colors are contrasting enough to maybe qualify as a spectator. When worn outside in the sunlight, the contrast really is differentiable, it really looks reddish, greenish, and chestnut.
Any opinions?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. Certainly distinctive! How deeply did the pigment get in the hide? Think it will stay?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
holy crap indeed. that was what i said too.
smile.gif
the thing is, i left the vamp area the original chestnut because of the flexing and creasing in that area will just discolor the antiquing from my past experience. but i know that if the creamed green quarters was to be left like that for a long period of time, maybe several months, even after cleaning with alcohol, the green hue will remain. the toe cap can be cleaned back to chestnut though.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They didn't turn into multi colored spectators, you made them that way!

That sounds pretty accusatory, but basically what I'm trying to say it that, if you like them, then they are fine!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like them. You can further accentuate the colors by polishing each part with a different color of polish. I think Lincoln makes green wax polish.

When I get a chance I will post pics of my random AE specs.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, here..

resizeofdscn1223dy8.jpg

resizeofdscn1217ql6.jpg

Let's all take random chemicals to our AEs!
smile.gif
Post pics.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
j, those look sweet too. those look like coltons as well, or are they sanfords?
anyways, it gives it a little more character to a rather straight bland chestnut color.

Mine are Sanfords, spiced up via (haha) the Sanford Sharpie, among other things. I colored in the toes and heels with different markers as a test. One has red Sharpie over the whole thing, which seems to have indelibly dyed it, another has red Prismacolor with black edges (I was trying for a black cherry effect), another has red Sharpie with black Sharpie, IIRC, etc... whatever I could dig up. I've never worn them since doing this - they are a kind of display in my living room. Everyone who's seen them seems to really like them.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. That's pretty crazy, dude! Dior, your shoes sort of remind me of some shoes Dexter made in the late sixties and early seventies and, unfortunately, revived in huge numbers in the mid-nineties. They were called the Diplomat. They were captoes with square toes, and they had red, green, and blue hues on different panels of leather. Hugely popular during their initial lifetime, a huge flop in 1996 (no shocker there). Yours are better looking. What will you wear them with?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
are those the original shoes in your avatar?

I really like the captoe contrast....not feeling the green on the quarters. overall it's ... 'interesting'

well-kept

Reaction score
The trick in all such things - exempting true spectators, which these aren't - is to incorporate touches, even very slight, of each tone or color into all the parts. This way the eye has a pathway to travel over the entire object and unite the separately colored or toned areas. So, a touch of the green on the toecap and the faintest hint of it on the vamp near the quarters. An area of almost untouched chestnut on the darker toe. A flash of burgundy in the green areas. You get my drift. Trust me, it will make all the difference.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very impressive. If you hired out, I would send you a pair I would love to do that to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads