Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My adventures in (DIY) shoemaking -- part 6

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoefan, Jun 3, 2009.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

^^^^
    +1.. you're an amateur working at something out of passion. Sure, they will not be perfect, but then again it is not your job to perfect them. Don't listen to the negative feedback. Like they sayy......
    [​IMG]

2. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Active Member

I hope it is picture's angles, but they look like orthopedic shoes for transgender tap-dancer.

f-ing idiot

3. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

I hope it is picture's angles, but they look like orthopedic shoes for transgender tap-dancer.

referring to goddess bunny??

4. mouseandcat

mouseandcat Senior member

looks great! fantastic! the thing that might be "throwing" it off a tad might be the "middle" space above the wing. not sure if the wings need made slightly longer or the moved slightly up the shoe.

last is interesting, made of narrow feet?

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

This is amazing. A guy teaches himself to make bespoke shoes from scratch, all by himself, and all some people can do is snipe. Maybe the shoes aren't perfect (though personally, I see nothing wrong with these and think the look great), but none of us could make a goddamned flip flop.

h8 on, losers.

+1

6. mouseandcat

mouseandcat Senior member

i hardly think it's "h8"ing. there are trolls and inane comments, to be sure.

perhaps i wrongly assumed that the OP wanted thoughts on the work that was posted. i assume this because, personally, when letting others know about my work i hope for some constructive feedback.

how does "i can't do this, so man this is awesome!" help? the OP most likely already knows that there isn't one single shoe (or anything for that matter) that will please everyone.

is this just a tacit understanding by most or am i just off the mark completely?

7. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

The only thing I would have done differently is waist the outside sole a bit more. Otherwise the shape is absolutely fabulous.

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

perhaps i wrongly assumed that the OP wanted thoughts on the work that was posted. i assume this because, personally, when letting others know about my work i hope for some constructive feedback.

how does "i can't do this, so man this is awesome!" help? the OP most likely already knows that there isn't one single shoe (or anything for that matter) that will please everyone.

is this just a tacit understanding by most or am i just off the mark completely?

There are ways to say certain things. You can say:

1) Say nothing
    2) Say "nice job but I dont like because of this that and the other reason."
    3) Say it's Beautiful
    4) Just be nasty.

If you want to constructively criticize you dont have to be nasty. DKZZZZ's comment was just nasty.

9. Sander

Sander Senior member

This is amazing. A guy teaches himself to make bespoke shoes from scratch, all by himself, and all some people can do is snipe. Maybe the shoes aren't perfect (though personally, I see nothing wrong with these and think the look great), but none of us could make a goddamned flip flop.

h8 on, losers.

I hope by "some people" you meant dkzzz, not me.

I think I have done the first; and I can only emphasize the second.

There are ways to say certain things. You can say:

1) Say nothing
    2) Say "nice job but I dont like because of this that and the other reason."
    3) Say it's Beautiful
    4) Just be nasty.

If you want to constructively criticize you dont have to be nasty. DKZZZZ's comment was just nasty.

Agreed.

10. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Wow great job. People are morons sometimes.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Very impressive, shoefan! You are certainly living up to your name.

12. camhard

camhard Member

Awesome job. I've been wanting to give making shoes a shot for a while, though I was planning on starting with some espadrilles, or perhaps a super simple and plain loafer, probably without a stacked sole, so this gives me hope.

To the poster who commented on someone tailoring their own suit: funny thing is I actually decided to try this myself last night. I expect it will be some time before I have anything to show, as I would like to do it right, so I'll be doing lots of research/practice before actually starting it.

Back to the thread though: they look really good (quality), though the last and sole do seem off to me. That said, shoes aren't my focus. To me though, they look quite high and to have a very aggressive last (lots of curve). Obviously, if you like them, then they are perfect... I'm just saying that I wouldn't choose them as my next shoe.

Oh, and I really like the colour.

13. The Contrarian

The Contrarian Well-Known Member

Wow great job. People are morons sometimes.

Actually, some people are morons all the time.

14. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Congratulations your work is awesome.
    Just a technical question what kind of tool do you use to make the little holes?

Fullb,

Shoefan answer it at last thread already

I made the brogue holes with a punch purchased from Goetz; they make a handle that accepts numerous different punches. The two small holes and one large hole are on the same die, so you just need to watch your spacing. A pretty expensive tool however (goetz PATENT-ORNAMENT-PUNCHER Item number: 79701000 -- http://www.goetz-service.com/ecshop/...9&el_id=10077).

15. randob300

randob300 Senior member

Those are fantastic. I love this color for the summer months with bright trousers.

I'd like to request a shot of the sole on your 'Project 7' (which I hope we get to enjoy soon!)