• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Adventures in (DIY) Shoemaking - Part 21

shoefan

Reaction score
Here is a pair of loafers, the first I've made.

Loafers are made on lasts that differ from those for lace-up shoes and boots, so this is the first pair I've made on these lasts. The lasts were made during a visit to the UK, where I've spent time working with a UK lastmaker. The toes on the last are a slightly wide square toe, which is what my lastmaking friend recommended for a loafer last.

These shoes are modeled on an E Green model; the apron and toe seams are hand-sewn with a boar's bristle (like Green do with their Dover and other similar models).

I was pretty pleased with the results, although there are some areas that definitely could stand improvement.

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we book an appointment?

Seriously I love those high cuban heels...

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The heel is a little high and dainty for my taste, and I worry that the shoes would be pretty painful to wear for much longer than five hours at a time, especially with any significant walking in the interim.

That being said, the last looks smart, and the construction is getting better and cleaner on your successive efforts. I have appreciated all of your posts on this topic, and will appreciate the more to come. Great stuff!

emptym

Reaction score
Beautiful, particularly the arch. You keep getting better and better.

Xenon

Reaction score
Very well done! Quite elegant . I liked your previous shoes but you keep on improving

I really like the heels as well-not too dainty for me. Sole pictures if you may please.

How is the last for a loafer different from a laced shoe?

Last edited:

shoefan

Reaction score

The heel is a little high and dainty for my taste, and I worry that the shoes would be pretty painful to wear for much longer than five hours at a time, especially with any significant walking in the interim.
That being said, the last looks smart, and the construction is getting better and cleaner on your successive efforts. I have appreciated all of your posts on this topic, and will appreciate the more to come. Great stuff!

Thanks. I'm not sure why you feel the shoes would be uncomfortable? If it is due to the heel size, the heel is about the same size as most mens' shoes' heels. My heel is quite narrow, so the narrowness of the heel reflects my foot, and the length of the heel is pretty standard.

Very well done! Quite elegant . I liked your previous shoes but you keep on improving
I really like the heels as well-not too dainty for me. Sole pictures if you may please.
How is the last for a loafer different from a laced shoe?

A loafer last has different measurements than a lace-up last, as well as a different profile along the sides. In terms of the measurements, the last is smaller at the joint and larger at the instep than a lace-up last.

Because it doesn't have lacing to hold the shoe on, and because the opening of the loafer is longer and lower than that of a lace-up, the loafer needs to really 'clip' onto the side of the foot in order to stay in place; as such, the bulges along the sides of last tend to be lower, and above the bulge the last gets narrower faster.

Here is a bottom pic:

IMG_1041.jpg

facet

Reaction score
Wow, that is so cool. Well done. How long does it take you to make a pair, on average?

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. It's been a while since I have seen anything that you are working on.

-LR

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heel does look quite high. I would also widen the lake (if I'm remembering the term correctly, the part inside the forefoot stitching on a loafer like this) and move the stitching lower, which would also force you to widen the strap.

To be perfectly honest, with the high, narrow heel and narrowness of the lake (which makes the entire forefoot look narrow), it looks like a women's shoe. The construction and finishing are both great as always, but to my eyes, the proportions just look awkward.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads