• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My adventures in (DIY) shoemaking -- part 16: The Budapest Chapter

shoefan

Reaction score
So, this is a pair of shoes made during a 2 week visit to Marcel Mrsan's workshop (Koronya Shoes) in Budapest. First off, many, many thanks to Marcel and his team. I learned a ton, was very impressed by the training I received, and was humbled in observing the skill and speed with which Marcel works.

This is a pair of full-brogue (a.k.a. wingtip) derbies, made on my soft chisel toe last. The pattern for this pair was made by Marcel's pattern-maker, Audrey. I did the sewing/closing of the upper, under the supervision of Marcel's closer, Erika. And, finally, the 'making' was done under the supervision of, and with frequent assistance from, Marcel. I believe the leather is a crust leather, which I have burnished with various waxes since my return to the states.

Many small 'tricks' that Marcel demostrated to me have helped refine the appearance of these shoes relative to those which I have previously completed (for the most recent pair, see here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=241566).

budaderby0004.jpg

budaderby0002.jpg

budaderby0003.jpg

budaderby0001.jpg

gsgleason

Reaction score
Those look nice. What last did you use? Do you have a last that is molded from your own foot?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice last, they would look very nice with a bit of burnishing or antiquing, I would like to see some pics of them post burnishing.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in my opinion these are much better than the last pair.

excellent work

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are great.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could you describe the "tricks" Marcel taught you?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you. Duh.

shoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsgleason
Those look nice. What last did you use? Do you have a last that is molded from your own foot?
I have a pair of bespoke lasts that were made for my feet. FWIW, a last is not molded from your foot, it is carved based on the measurements and shape of your foot.

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Nice last, they would look very nice with a bit of burnishing or antiquing, I would like to see some pics of them post burnishing.

Well, these do have a fair amount of burnishing on the toes; I don't want to have too much/too dark burnishing on the toes, as it would contrast too much with the remainder of the shoes. However, I may darken the balance of the shoes a bit -- they are perhaps a bit pale for my taste --, which would then allow a bit more burnishing of the toes. Here are a couple more pics that show the burnishing a bit better.

budderby50001.jpg

budderby50002.jpg

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Lots of little things throughout the making process, such as preshaping the heel counter, ways to pull the insole to get it to sit better on the last, how to last the heel a bit better, preparing the toe puff to show the toe shape off, how to properly hammer the upper around the edge of the last to improve the welt's appearance, how to shape the first heel lift prior to applying it, how to do a better beveled waist, how to get the heel tight to the upper, etc., etc.. Really, just a lot of small techniques that lead to a better looking finished product.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As always, a beautiful and impressive job.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fantastic. Congratulations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads