• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My adventures in (DIY) shoemaking -- part 12

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Really beautiful work. Everything about these are gorgeous and the sole thickness is perfect.
worship.gif
Thank you for sharing these with us.

+1 !!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

shoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
thats a list not a collage
eh.gif

I know, but if he wants to see my progression over time, the links will accomplish that. I don't want to create a monstrous post with, say, 20 photos in it. Perhaps in time I will set up an Imageshack page with examples of all my shoes.

Hannes

Reaction score
Terrific! I would love to know how to do that...

How did you learn?

shoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
awesome. how many man hours went into this pair?
I must admit that I am scared to actually keep track of this, since it would be way too big a number. I would guess approximately 50 to 60 hours, most likely something like 60. In reflecting on the tasks and the associated time, I come up with around 41 hours, but I know I am understating some tasks and likely omitting/forgetting some others. I keep thinking that I need to get a timer and actually keep track of this.

Originally Posted by Hannes
Terrific! I would love to know how to do that...

How did you learn?

I got to spend some time with people in the trade in London, then I've been working on it for the last 6 years as I've had a chance. For the last couple of years, I've spent a good deal of time on this. There are also books and a few discussion groups that cover some of this territory.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
There are also books and a few discussion groups that cover some of this territory.

Care to share the names of books & discussion boards? I am planning my first attempt in the near future. I know about the Vass book, but what other resources did you find most helpful?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Member DWII (not sure if the spelling's exactly right) moderates a shoe makers' forum.

Shoefan - those are beautiful. I'll take a pair in mid brown suede.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, are you self-taught I assume? Those are really very nice looking shoes, very impressive..

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
I must admit that I am scared to actually keep track of this, since it would be way too big a number. I would guess approximately 50 to 60 hours, most likely something like 60. In reflecting on the tasks and the associated time, I come up with around 41 hours, but I know I am understating some tasks and likely omitting/forgetting some others. I keep thinking that I need to get a timer and actually keep track of this.

I got to spend some time with people in the trade in London, then I've been working on it for the last 6 years as I've had a chance. For the last couple of years, I've spent a good deal of time on this. There are also books and a few discussion groups that cover some of this territory.

Snap - I was about to grab the nearest hunk of wood and start carving a last. That explains how you're so good at this.

shoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
shoe fan, where are you from if you don't mind me asking. I, too, undertook and apprenticeship in Italy and have made several pairs for myself. I love the navy monk straps that you did, those are great!! Keep up the good work!!

I am in New England. Alas, given my personal circumstances (i.e. family/children), I have not been in the position to do an apprenticeship or such. I have just been able to spend a bit of time -- days, not weeks -- with people in the trade, and then to try to build on what I've observed by doing things on my own.

Originally Posted by rebel222
Care to share the names of books & discussion boards? I am planning my first attempt in the near future. I know about the Vass book, but what other resources did you find most helpful?

The Crispin Colloquy/Honorable Company of Cordwainers (HCC): http://www.thehcc.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Also, there are some videos links on the Colloquy (see the 'Cinema Verite' section of the site), as well as some downloadable scans of old shoemaking books on the HCC homepage > The Guild Library

In terms of books, there are a few:

Tim Skyrne's Bespoke Shoemaking http://www.shoemakingbook.com/ [Also available in the USA here: http://www.walrusshoe.com/books_home.htm]

Tim also has some videos on his site that cover some aspects of shoemaking.

Pattern Cutting Step by Step Guide (available from Walrus or from http://www.shoetrades.com/dev/ftmanu.php)

Koleff lastmaking book (available from Walrus or Tim Skyrne?)

Hope that is of some help

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought ShoeFan was the guy that was apprenticing with Marcell in Hungary? Who is that guy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads