• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My adventures in (DIY) shoemaking -- part 10

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of these at all. Sorry, I don't mean to be the spoiler here.
A sleeker last and more stylish variation of this strap design would look much nicer and preferrably in scotchgrain. imo.
Thank you for sharing the photos. I've certainly enjoyed your other work very much.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
A sleeker last and more stylish variation of this strap design would look much nicer and preferrably in scotchgrain. imo.

I'm afraid, I can't agree with you.

I think the last is stunning (I believe. I know the last maker); after all, this is a bespoke last for a particular person (in this case "˜shoefan') and not a commercial last, let alone a last to show off a sample. A last for a real person must take their anatomical irregularities into account. A good last maker, just like a good tailor, cannot make you taller, slimmer, whatever: but he can make you look it.

I always loved that particular EG design (can't remember it's name), much more than it's follow-up the "˜Oundle':

eg_oundle_808_black_1.jpg

I never had that EG style, but I've seen it on a friend and the way the underlay was cut, in wear, there could open a gap where over- and underlay met. Hence the "˜Oundle', which had the overlay extended. I presume "˜shoefan' did keep the underlay generous, that should have solved the problem.

I'm not a great fan of (any) embossed leathers, but I think (corrected grain) Scotch grain is the worst of them all. That shoe style is rather dandified, I can't believe an extremely rustic Scotch grain would have worked. (Possible a willow bark pattern could have gone well with the style).

"˜shoefan', I think you've done an amazing job.
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

shoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Wow! Lance, you are so great!
Few questions:
How does the leather response? I think I bought the same leather but didn't do anything yet.
The pics are too small, I can't see it clear enough to know for sure, Is it a folded edge? and why you choose folded not other method is so?
Is the upper thread white?

Anyhow, Great work! Keep up!
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Thanks.

I think the leather is okay -- certainly for the price, it is good to practice with. I don't know that I would make a pair of shoes for a paying customer out of it, it may be a bit too soft. Of course, I am no leather expert.

The edge is not folded; I made a 'collar' of skived and folded leather, as I have done for all my shoes. One of these days I'll do a folded edge, but the London standard is a collar, so generally I do that. Plus, the thought of trying to do a folded edge along the strap is rather daunting.

The thread is dark blue; I think it looks white in some of the pics due to the thread reflecting the flash.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
Thanks.

I think the leather is okay -- certainly for the price, it is good to practice with. I don't know that I would make a pair of shoes for a paying customer out of it, it may be a bit too soft. Of course, I am no leather expert.

The edge is not folded; I made a 'collar' of skived and folded leather, as I have done for all my shoes. One of these days I'll do a folded edge, but the London standard is a collar, so generally I do that. Plus, the thought of trying to do a folded edge along the strap is rather daunting.

The thread is dark blue; I think it looks white in some of the pics due to the thread reflecting the flash.

Shoefan,

Thanks for the answers.
BTW, how are your DIY shoes wear? May we have some pics to look at?
Will you consider the JL Vale design? I think it look better than Oundle, but may be not easy the get the pattern right.

TurboBruce

Reaction score
Wow, 3rd time I see one of your shoe threads and tell myself that it's a brilliant hobby which I should try to learn myself. Then, I end up re-watching shoe making videos on youtube and it reminds me why I'm not doing it...

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish i could do that purely to use the chat up line .....

"Hi Sweetcheeks i made my own shoes!!"

Amazing Shoefan Bloody Amazing Well Done !!
worship.gif

Xenon

Reaction score
Shoefan that is simply awesome!!

That you are self taught!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually being able to make your own shoes is beyond awesome.

I want to try my hand ( as hobby) as well and have these questions if you don't mind:

How do you sew the uppers - where did you purchases the machine to do so?
Where do you source your leathers for uppers and soles
What about thread needles, glues(for stiffenners) ect

thanks

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Excellent. Congrads on your evolving skills!

Alway good to see.
Congrads on your evolving skills.
worship.gif

ajv

Reaction score
I admire every piece you make and can see that you are improving each time.
Congrats and wear them in good health.
worship.gif

Adrian

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I'm afraid, I can't agree with you.

I think the last is stunning (I believe. I know the last maker); after all, this is a bespoke last for a particular person (in this case "˜shoefan') and not a commercial last, let alone a last to show off a sample. A last for a real person must take their anatomical irregularities into account. A good last maker, just like a good tailor, cannot make you taller, slimmer, whatever: but he can make you look it.

Good points I hadn't considered and thank you for pointing that out.
The OP's he skills are quite good and I do love his attention on the construction of all the shoes he has made to date. Ofcourse he gets a high pass
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nice leather

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads