• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My $5.99 hand tailored suit from Hong Kong

GMF

Reaction score
Some times you roll the dice on ebay and come up with a winner. This suit was listed on ebay with a BIN price of $5.99 and just one picture (shown below). It was listed as being a custom made suit and based on the measurements given I decided it should fit me quite well. And for $5.99 (plus shipping)...why not? So I pulled the trigger.

Well, it arrived today and I was quite pleased. It's actually a very nice--and very old--suit that shows absolutely no signs that it's ever been worn. It was custom made in HK for a gentleman whose name is embroidered on the label inside, and the tag inside the pocket gives the date of delivery as March, 1978. The tailor is Sonella. Lots of handwork is evident, and nice touches (like the heel pads sewn inside the back of the pants cuffs). The material is a poly/wool blend. It's very British/Savile Row in style, but since that style is timeless it doesn't look out of place even though the suit is 28 years old. And, best of all, the seller's measurements were right on the money. Even the pants fit me with no alterations required.

It's at the cleaners but I'll post some pics when I get it back.

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GMF
Some times you roll the dice on ebay and come up with a winner. This suit was listed on ebay with a BIN price of $5.99 and just one picture (shown below). It was listed as being a custom made suit and based on the measurements given I decided it should fit me quite well. And for $5.99 (plus shipping)...why not? So I pulled the trigger.

Well, it arrived today and I was quite pleased. It's actually a very nice--and very old--suit that shows absolutely no signs that it's ever been worn. It was custom made in HK for a gentleman whose name is embroidered on the label inside, and the tag inside the pocket gives the date of delivery as March, 1978. The tailor is Sonella. Lots of handwork is evident, and nice touches (like the heel pads sewn inside the back of the pants cuffs). The material is a poly/wool blend. It's very British/Savile Row in style, but since that style is timeless it doesn't look out of place even though the suit is 28 years old. And, best of all, the seller's measurements were right on the money. Even the pants fit me with no alterations required.

It's at the cleaners but I'll post some pics when I get it back.

Congrats; nice pick-up.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the question is, is it "bespoke"?!? Haha, j/k

Wear it in good health and congratulations on the find.

GMF

Reaction score
Yes, I'd say this suit was indeed bespoke. It's full canvas, and nothing about it looks OTR. (I couldn't imagine the wild pattern silk lining ever being put in an OTR suit.)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
nice! from the pic it doesnt appear to have a "70s" cut...looks more sixties which is always the bees knees.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GMF
Yes, I'd say this suit was indeed bespoke. It's full canvas, and nothing about it looks OTR. (I couldn't imagine the wild pattern silk lining ever being put in an OTR suit.)

Bespoke rather than MTM I think was the question not OTR.

Reaction score
is it possible to tell that after the fact?

how would one tell 30 years after the last fitting if it was made to a set pattern of a long-gone tailoring house, or if a pattern was specially made?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.