• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my $30 RLPL find

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
So I went on an adventure to the local outlets in search of a suit. Most of the stores were rather lackluster and dissapointing. The Barney's outlet had 90% house label at hardly appetizing prices. Off 5th was mostly the same, very few choices and hardly great prices. The Brooks outlet was full of their 346 value trash. I even looked at the Hugo Boss store, where the prices could be reasonable but selection was terrible; I'd probably bite at a $200-250 Boss suit even if they aren't very good. Woe to my 38/40 frame
tongue.gif
. Then I came to the polo outlet. At first it seemed to be full of nothing but Lauren crap. But then I spotted the tiny little rack of blue,black, and purple label. Most of it was garish, like an orange - yes bright orange - sportcoat. But i stumbled across this little beauty that I could not possibly pass up.

It's a Purple Label white linen DB peak lapel sportcoat. I was shocked at the price... original MSRP $1095.... "our price" $69.99... AND a 50% off sale. It was too good to pass up. Now The double breasted thing throws me off a bit, as its not something I'd normaly wear. I was thinking it could be a fun tropical coat. I was also pondering making it a suit by going down to Banana or something and buying a pair of their white linen pants.

10017930ki.jpg

Sorry about the pictures, testing my camera and imageshack
smile.gif

I also found this fantastic deal. A grey Blue label suit for $150. The problem is it is too big. The shoulders and chest seem to fit well, but the gut area is just huge. Im gonna take it to a tailor and see if he can perform a small miracle... if not I'll try to give it a good home to one of you guys.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Awesome pick ups. Polo outlets are generally trash now but when Purple Label came out, it was not uncommon to find heavily discounted RLPL suits at the outlets. If you are a "Lauren" fan, though, they got you covered real well
dozingoff.gif

If you ever need to find a home for the linen db jacket, let me know
smile.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the jacket, but it looks to me like it may be too big in the shoulders and the chest as well.

Also, as far as making a suit, you'll probably have a hard time finding an identical linen off the rack at another store. You could try polo, though.

Ed355

Reaction score
I think the same white linen jacket is on sale for $159 on the selling and buying section.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curiously, I just had a similar experience, though not nearly as profitable as yours. I had almost given up on RL outlets, as the one I've visited most often is a wasteland. Almost exclusively the same Lauren junk; maybe five or six Polo ties on a good day. But I stopped in at one over the weekend that had a nice selection of Polo stuff, and all on the clearance racks. There were several jackets, some trousers, and a large selection of ties and pocket squares.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
It's quite possible its a wee bit big, its a 40R and I'm usually between a 38 and 40. But its hard to tell cause the pictures are so bad; raising my arm with the camera really screwed up the coat and I just threw it over a tshirt. Anyhow it feels pretty good to me, so I dunno.

How would some of you guys wear a coat like this? Dark pants / light pants? Would anyone rock a DB with jeans
lookaround.gif
?

Ed: if you're near camarillo they had 2 more, another 40 and a 44
tongue.gif

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in Los Angeles? Through the search I've found enzo caruso in santa monica and charles on wilshire... any other ideas?

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Hey! why do women get black label on the website? Hah... well I have no idea how the womens line breaks down. Seems like their purple.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, that 44R sounds tempting! Oh so tempting!!

As for trousers, these would be great with dove gray worsted, blue cotton, pale yellows and greens...

Oh, the thought of the 44 is haunting me...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrojanGarb
It's quite possible its a wee bit big, its a 40R and I'm usually between a 38 and 40. But its hard to tell cause the pictures are so bad; raising my arm with the camera really screwed up the coat and I just threw it over a tshirt. Anyhow it feels pretty good to me, so I dunno.

How would some of you guys wear a coat like this? Dark pants / light pants? Would anyone rock a DB with jeans
lookaround.gif
?

Ed: if you're near camarillo they had 2 more, another 40 and a 44
tongue.gif

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in Los Angeles? Through the search I've found enzo caruso in santa monica and charles on wilshire... any other ideas?

I would wear it with jeans. If you can't get it to fit you, I will take it off your hands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads