1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

my 1st pic on SF - opinions on fit pls!!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JoMak_NYC, Aug 3, 2006.

1. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

I don't understand why people pay $400 to look poor.

That's hilarious and true. I think that he means that you guys spend A LOT of money on clothes that simply dosen't look expensive. Example, Jap repos that look like thai fakes. You can rave about the quality all day but does anybody really need jeans that last 2 lifetimes when you are never going to wear it after 6 months? They fade and now look vintage, so you put it in the back of the closet and only use it to clean the house. $400 jeans...just to clean the house[​IMG] . Not to mention some simply don't fit as good as many "inferior" jeans. And since there's a fear of logos and designs or anything that looks a little out there, most of the clothes are just plain.

Plain jeans + plain shirt + chuck taylors = BORING...

ANYways...that's what i notice in NYC...bitch away. Prove me wrong [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Go on, tell us how you really feel.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

That's hilarious and true. I think that he means that you guys spend A LOT of money on clothes that simply dosen't look expensive. Example, Jap repos that look like thai fakes. You can rave about the quality all day but does anybody really need jeans that last 2 lifetimes when you are never going to wear it after 6 months? They fade and now look vintage, so you put it in the back of the closet and only use it to clean the house. $400 jeans...just to clean the house[​IMG] . Not to mention some simply don't fit as good as many "inferior" jeans. And since there's a fear of logos and designs or anything that looks a little out there, most of the clothes are just plain.

ANYways...that's what i notice in NYC...bitch away. Prove me wrong [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What I look for in a pair of jeans:

1)I like to wear slim to tight jeans, cheap jeans usually fit very bad (see Cheap Monday) for various construction reasons. In other words I enjoy the look of these expensive brands you dismiss. There are some exceptions to that rule, I quite enjoy wearing my Levi 514 black jeans and they cost me something like $50 (thanks getsmart).

2)Look of the fabric; higher quality fabric usually look better and that's an important factor. It also ages and fades beautifully which is important since I don't stop wearing them after 6 month, even though you might think otherwise. As for the cleaning the house part unless you've got a camera at my, or anyone else's place how could you know....

3)Secret luxury (the part you're criticizing). I like how sometimes I'm the only one knowing the quality of what I'm wearing and some small details, like the ultra comfortable pockets of Dior jeans, make me happy for some reason.

4)Just like everyone else, accept it or not, I use fashion as a way to send messages about myself, notably as a way to distinguish from the masses and at the same time to note belonging to a particular group. Everyone likes to meet another person who's like "cool selvedge jeans man, you've got a nice fade going on". And you then answer "hey that's a cloak hoodie, I love that brand" and you start raving about what kind of clothing you like and what it means to you, normally linked with something like "hey that jacket looks like what Dylan was wearing on that famous photo of him at the factory". Okay that sounded incredibly gay but you get my point.

5) as for the fear of logos and designs, logos usually suck and design is a whole different, all encompassing animal, but you obviously meant it as "graphics" or something similar and nobody here fears that...

6)You don't like tight jeans and chucks because of the messages it sends (see #4, think Ramones or whatever) some posters love them for the same reason, diversity is the spice of life.

47) In short, you're wrong [​IMG]

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Ok the camera phone pics are crappy but you guys get the idea. these are my 5ep on their 3rd wear. [​IMG]

Seems like a good fit but I can't say much because of the low quality picture...I must say 5EP jeans usually look very good on most wearers..

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

That's hilarious and true. I think that he means that you guys spend A LOT of money on clothes that simply dosen't look expensive. Example, Jap repos that look like thai fakes. You can rave about the quality all day but does anybody really need jeans that last 2 lifetimes when you are never going to wear it after 6 months? They fade and now look vintage, so you put it in the back of the closet and only use it to clean the house. $400 jeans...just to clean the house[​IMG] . Not to mention some simply don't fit as good as many "inferior" jeans. And since there's a fear of logos and designs or anything that looks a little out there, most of the clothes are just plain. Plain jeans + plain shirt + chuck taylors = BORING... ANYways...that's what i notice in NYC...bitch away. Prove me wrong [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is a much better look: Striped Shirt: [​IMG] Some Fly Jeans: [​IMG] Badass shoes: [​IMG] and you're ready for the club!

6. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

What I look for in a pair of jeans:

1)I like to wear slim to tight jeans, cheap jeans usually fit very bad (see Cheap Monday) for various construction reasons. In other words I enjoy the look of these expensive brands you dismiss. There are some exceptions to that rule, I quite enjoy wearing my Levi 514 black jeans and they cost me something like $50 (thanks getsmart).

2)Look of the fabric; higher quality fabric usually look better and that's an important factor. It also ages and fades beautifully which is important since I don't stop wearing them after 6 month, even though you might think otherwise. As for the cleaning the house part unless you've got a camera at my, or anyone else's place how could you know....

3)Secret luxury (the part you're criticizing). I like how sometimes I'm the only one knowing the quality of what I'm wearing and some small details, like the ultra comfortable pockets of Dior jeans, make me happy for some reason.

4)Just like everyone else, accept it or not, I use fashion as a way to send messages about myself, notably as a way to distinguish from the masses and at the same time to note belonging to a particular group. Everyone likes to meet another person who's like "cool selvedge jeans man, you've got a nice fade going on". And you then answer "hey that's a cloak hoodie, I love that brand" and you start raving about what kind of clothing you like and what it means to you, normally linked with something like "hey that jacket looks like what Dylan was wearing on that famous photo of him at the factory". Okay that sounded incredibly gay but you get my point.

5) as for the fear of logos and designs, logos usually suck and design is a whole different, all encompassing animal, but you obviously meant it as "graphics" or something similar and nobody here fears that...

6)You don't like tight jeans and chucks because of the messages it sends (see #4, think Ramones or whatever) some posters love them for the same reason, diversity is the spice of life.

47) In short, you're wrong [​IMG]

it wasen't really aim at you [​IMG]

but, yea it's always good to see somebody else's point of view. My point still stands. Im right.

7. kronik

kronik Senior member

drizzt,

that shirt/those shoes are f'ING hideous.

8. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Crack addicts, just like everyone else, have quite diverse ways of dressing, you watch too many movies and wander around too little my friend.

I've seen crackheads from Cape Town, London, Paris, Baltimore, NYC, New Haven, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and quite a few other cities. I've wandered plenty. Those shoes yell crack, to me.

I still don't understand this phenonemon of paying to look poor.

I suppose it's meant as an imitation of late seventies-early 80s punk rockers and grunge rockers from 10 years later. The irony of this is, they were broke and that personal style was partly due to not being able to wear nicer stuff.

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

Really nice fit

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

drizzt,

that shirt/those shoes are f'ING hideous.

You like it, the amjack?

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Actually, it has a fair bit to do with socio economic status, and extends beyond clothes, but Manton, for example, notes this in his book about clothing in particular. Because "rich" clothing is now attainable by the "poor", the "rich" (in the general sense of the word, take it as you will) wear styles that the poor (or formerly poor) dare not imitate, for fear of well, appearing poor (and having attained the signs of wealth, both the poor and the and newly rich do not want this). Thus you see the old rich wearing "American Trad" clothing, which is beat to hell, and kids from the Ghetto wearing everything looking fresh.

12. JoMak_NYC

JoMak_NYC Senior member

LA Guy you are definitely on to something here. (I mean my thread is jacked to shit so I may as well join in). I totally agree with you on this. 'Poor people' wanting to look 'rich' will go for the most expensive - HIGHLY RECOGNIZABLE - brands. It's bling - it's loud - it screams 'my clothes are expesive' (and you'll know exactly what brand it is cuz it's right smack in your face). PPL who used to rock the hype brands are drifting to the more obscure cuz it's less likely to become ghettofied.

I have always been that way - I try to stay far away from 'ghetto fab'.

13. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

LA Guy you are definitely on to something here. (I mean my thread is jacked to shit so I may as well join in). I totally agree with you on this. 'Poor people' wanting to look 'rich' will go for the most expensive - HIGHLY RECOGNIZABLE - brands. It's bling - it's loud - it screams 'my clothes are expesive' (and you'll know exactly what brand it is cuz it's right smack in your face). PPL who used to rock the hype brands are drifting to the more obscure cuz it's less likely to become ghettofied.

I have always been that way - I try to stay far away from 'ghetto fab'.

HAHAHAH Ghetto fab. Whenever I see someone with a 7XL tee and expensive trainers I want to knock the living shit out of them for offending my gaze.

14. Kid609

Kid609 Senior member

I dress like I'm poor.

Except my wardrobe is poor. My jeans cost me 17 bucks.

15. LA Guy

I dress like I'm poor.

Except my wardrobe is poor. My jeans cost me 17 bucks.

The telling thing would be whether you are, in fact, poor, and if so, whether you were born that way.

I am good friends with Gary Drinkwater, who owns Drinkwaters, a men's specialty clothing store in Cambridge, MA, and his customer, who is generally more affluent and established than the customer of, say, a Newbury Street Boutique (I exclude Alan Bilzerian and Louis Boston here, both of which have a customer base ranging far beyond Boston), is also more value and cost conscious. I always suggest great, understated jeans brands for his store, jeans that his customer, a slightly older guy who wants better quality than Levis, but doesn't want a "fashion jean" , might buy - 5EP, which has great washed jeans as well as less accessible "raw" jeans, was my latest suggestion - but I know that he wouldn't go for them, because the retail price would never fly with those guys. Instead, he has gone with Agave, which is both more accessible in price and in washes. Boston can support only one Louis and on Alan Bilzerian, which have a large fraction of out of town shoppers.

16. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

LA Guy

I tried looking up Manton, but no luck. First name? Titles?

Thanks, sounds interesting....

17. LA Guy

Manton is probably the most knowledgeable guy on the Mens Clothing section here, and on any one of the traditional men's clothing forums, when it comes to suits. He wrote a book, published recently, called "The Suit" about, well, suits, and based on the format and language used in the "The Prince." under a pseudonym "Nicolas Antogiovanni" or something like that. Very clever guy.

18. familyman

familyman Senior member