• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mustache Help for a N00b

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started growing my beard out for no shave November and liked it so much I kept it. A week or two ago I noticed that my mustache was long enough to twirl and, being one of my life's goals of having a mustache, trimmed the rest of the beard down so the mustache is much more noticeable.

My first question is, is there anyone here that has a mustache that uses wax? I want to buy some mustache wax but don't know where to start. I don't want anything expensive, and would even be interested in making it myself (if the recipe is simple, most of the ones I've seen are complex).

Second question: I'm completely new to mustache culture, and recently found out that someone came up with the most ingenious invention ever - the mustache cup. I'm definitely planning on buying one, but what else is awesome in terms of mustaches and mustache culture that I've been missing out on?

165050_866423663138_26712641_45735475_2447384_n.jpg

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stache looks good, I think those frames are pretty unflattering for your face though.... :/

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Wax: Firehouse brand (the Wacky Tacky is great)

Other moustache accessories could include moustache combs, moustache snoods, moustache razors, and even moustache curlers (tiny curling irons popular back when handlebars were more common).

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The scruffy beard is detracting from the true beauty of your mo. What's this no shave November rubbish? Everyone knows it's called Movember.

cazzzidy

Reaction score
Nice stash pal! Shave that beard and work it.

I'm about your age and have been wearing one full time for two years. My advice: DON'T get involved in the culture. Don't EVER bring it up. When other people talk about it, accept the compliment and steer the conversation elsewhere. Do not be defined by your stash or let it become an affect. It must be a congruent part of your identity, else you'll be perceived as just another douchebag with a mustache.

With that said, I'd advise against mustache wax save for special occasions (like a party). A waxed stash draws such attention to your vanity that the style points are not worth the damage to your character. You can buy a cheap tube of mustache wax at most large drug stores though it doesn't work nearly as well as the firehouse brand which is hard to find.

Good luck. Please don't be a douchebag and ruin the mustache for the rest of us.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Congrats dude for the decision to do a handle bar. it was on my bucket list as well, but I must warn you its not for the faint of heart. your looking at 6 months minimum to get proper length and its hell letting it grow out. I must disagree with cazzzidy that wax IS important, otherwise you are going to be constantly pulling stache hairs out of your mouth and constantly sweeping your lip with your hand, and it will help you train your mustache to keep a shape. for wax, I just used Clubmans which is nice because its easy to find (walmart stocks it). as it gets longer, be prepared to alter your eating habits. I went for months without being able to eat a hamburger (which for reasons you'll find out later) and had to shave one of my staches off after an unfortunate incident with some awesome mac and cheese. keep the scruff until your confident in the stache. here was my last handlebar, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them as I've gone through the grow out several times. heres an early shot of a stage that I really liked and though worked really well. and just remember, this is something you are doing FOR YOU. this will ring very true.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP has a face that a mustache will work well with, even a flamboyant one. That said, given the frustration with finding a job, you should really think about doing it after you get your next job. Job interview time is not a period you want to be sporting a twirly stache'. Also, those glasses frames do not suit you, or any other member of the male population. You should also subscribe to The Chap. It's the go-to source for the latest mustache news. http://www.thechap.net/ Edit: I think MrGoodBytes's most recent one is more flattering than the second pic, though I would lose the soul patch. I've also read that you have to give up ice cream, since the smallest bit on the stache will become rancid and you will smell it for the rest of the day.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and just remember, this is something you are doing FOR YOU. this will ring very true.
Hah, I've heard it all before. Most people are actually really hyped on it. The occasional girl will be like "WHY?!" but I don't really care about them.

Also, I haven't been growing the middle out to the sides like you have, although I might start doing it now that you mention it. I've just been growing the ends out.

Originally Posted by Reggs
That said, given the frustration with finding a job, you should really think about doing it after you get your next job. Job interview time is not a period you want to be sporting a twirly stache'.

Hah I'm past that, but thanks for remembering. I'm still working the same job, but I have plans to get out of it ASAP, so that's not a problem.

Also, those glasses frames do not suit you, or any other member of the male population.
They actually look good on my friend, who owns them. But he looks like Shostakovich so it works.

393px-Dmitri1.jpg

joneeron

Reaction score
The frustration in finding a job, you really do after the next job. time for a job interview is when you want to be sporting twirly Stache. The tables do not suit you, or any other member of the male population.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The frustration in finding a job, you really do after the next job. time for a job interview is when you want to be sporting twirly Stache. The tables do not suit you, or any other member of the male population.
Oh okay

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I"ve been growing it out without trimming and it fucken SUCKS and looks terrible. Just ordered some Firehouse wax yesterday so I'll post some pics after I get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads