1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Must you wear a burgundy belt if you wear burgundy shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cataan, Dec 12, 2012.

1. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

Seems to me you'd have to but I'd like opinions. I don't have such a belt and am thinking of buying burgundy colored shoes.

Thanks!

2. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

Yeah. Brown doesn't cut it IMO.

The way I see it is that a belt can last many years and is a safe investment in the sense that it is one less color you have to worry about matching with in the future.

I just keep three colors: black, brown and burgundy. No white, merlot or anything silly.

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Get a burgundy belt. Doesn't have to match exactly, but needs to be in the burgundy family in general.

I think you need 4 basic colors of belts at a minimum.

Tan, Brown, Black, Burgundy.

With those four basics you can accomodate almost an endless variety of shoes.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Depends on your burgundy and your brown. They can pair well enough, for sure.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I would agree with this. Burgundy is just a redder shade of brown- if your brown belt is red enough and your burgundy shoes aren't too red a shade, they pair fine. If your brown belt is low on the red and you have a pair of shoes that are pretty close to the red end of the spectrum, it could very well look pretty off.

6. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

Here they are, gentlemen

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

Brown would be OK save if you meet the Belt Taliban who will undoubtedly hang you with the thing.

The vast number of people will not even notice,but having now asked here and benefited (?) by theoretical advice you will doubtless worry.

8. jcarlson08

jcarlson08 New Member

I think it depends on your outfit as well. A solid calfskin black or brown belt would look odd with burgundy shoes but there are other colors and styles that would work with more casual dress.

Thinking about it, I'd venture to say that the reason a brown or black leather belt would look odd is because if a belt like that doesn't match your shoes, it's probably not going to match any other part of your outfit and will look out of place. But if you can find a belt that compliments some other piece you're wearing I think it would be fine.

9. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

You need eight - each of those above with nickel/silver and gold/brass trim to watch different watches and eyeglasses. MINIMUM.

10. jmills

jmills Senior member

I'm so glad I get my trousers with side tabs, because I am spared from these conundrums. [​IMG]

11. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

For a European, recommendations on a source for Burgundy belts?

And second question, what about suede? Do you need a suede belt to match suede shoes?

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1 to both comments.
    Additionally, with a sportcoat ensemble you can get away with the belt colour branching away from the shoes somewhat more than with a suit proper.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  13. BaileyShanks

BaileyShanks Member

I think you need a non-suede belt to match suede shoes. Otherwise it gets matchy-matchy. Though a suede belt is nice to have.

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

The buckle on your belt does not have to match your watch.

15. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

Isnt the purpose to be matchy-matchy?

16. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

I always buy a belt made out of the same leather as any non-black shoes I buy so that I have a perfectly matching belt. Most shoemakers sell belts, making it easier.

17. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The more casual you get, the less matchy belt/shoes have to be. Since suede shoes are already pretty casual, you can be a bit more adventurous with the belt.

18. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I prefer a textured/grained leather belt with suede shoes - more casual than a smooth calf leather belt - but not exactly matchy matchy to the suede either.

Most here would tell you that exactly matching the shoes and belt is less sophisticated than having belt and shoes which are 'complementary'. However, IMO, if you are unsure of your choices you can't really go 'wrong' with a close match between the two.

19. NORE

NORE Senior member

Belt must match shoes which must match watch strap and briefcase. In both material and color.

20. BaileyShanks

BaileyShanks Member

If you want to come across as someone who has a very studied look, it could be. I guess it all depends on the desired effect. Personally, I would choose a hard-finish leather or fabric (like surcingle) belt to complement my suede shoes rather than wearing the exact same finish. To me, suede with same color suede feels akin to a tie and matching pocket square.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012