• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must shoes always be darker than blue jeans?

Eibeesee

Reaction score
I bought some brown loafers to go with my dark wash blue jeans. The jeans are a few shades darker than the shoes though. Is this ok?
What other alternative is there? The shoes are relatively dark. I dont like black loafers

unsuitable

Reaction score
I don't acknowledge any kind of rules seriously once jeans are involved. My logic is: I wear jeans because I don't want to be involved in a lot of style rules (jeans are my sweat pants I guess).

I wear jeans with tan oxfords often and I it works for me. I will say that jeans look "odd" to me with blue suede shoes that are lighter blue than the jeans in question.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Think of it this way: white tennis shoes are passable with jeans. That said, in footwear, dark blue generally doesn't go well with white, and any high-contrast pairing risks being distracting and, for shorter men, unflattering.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No they don't need to be darker. I wear natural CXL with dark jeans all the time and it works. Just about any shade of brown probably works.

Taverner.cohen

Reaction score
I believe Snuff Suede, Chesnut or cognac colors are great with jeans, no necessarily darker I am afraid

Jan Capek

Reaction score
My answer is "no", but avoid big contrast. For example, brown can go with dark indigo jeans, white is better with light color jeans etc. As with any rule, there are exceptions. In my own case, I think my turquoise textured leather hi-tops from Lanvin don't disturb neither dark nor light jeans.

Last edited:

Solverson

Reaction score
suede works really well with jeans in my opinion

amlemus

Reaction score
Go for contrast with blue jeans. Brown or tan shoes pair well with them in my opinion (as long as you stay with the tried and true rule of having them match your belt). I'd almost never wear black with them though. Black shoes with dark jeans doesn't create enough contrast, while light jeans with black shoes just looks like a clash of casual and serious styles to me.

Solverson

Reaction score
I think any shade of brown should work. It depends of the season and the clothes you are matching with those shoes

4skin

Reaction score
Light tan leather shoes go well with dark jeans that have gold seams, paired with same colour belt and watch strap.

JettStyle

Reaction score
I think the "rules" are really only there to guide you until you know how to break them properly.

For jeans, I have never heard that shoes shoe be darker. I would say, think of the place you are going wearing them. As long as the shoes are not more or less dressy than the occasion dictates, rock whatever shoes go with the look you are going for.

More than anything, style is about "selling it"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics