• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must See Documentaries

Seb91

Reaction score
I watched "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix recently and I have to be honest it really opened my eyes on how Social Media impact our lives not only in the "people are always on their phones, they don't know how to communicate anymore" but for political propaganda, financial gain, etc...
A lot darker than i had previously imagined. Plus it was easy to follow, even if some bits were pretty technical.

Trailer

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
night-stalker-netflix-richard-ramirez.jpg

The story of this serial killer can be found on several platforms.....but Netflix came out with their 4 part series earlier this month.

Back in the 1980's, a serial killer was terrorizing the LA/SF areas of California. Not only did he murder people, but he also sexually assaulted women and children.

Netflix focuses on the victims, victim's families and the law enforcement personnel who hunted him down during this time.

The 2 main cops who led the charge(with many others) do a pretty good job of letting the viewers know just how stressed and dedicated they were trying to catch him.

I have read that some of the crime scene photos shown....should not have been shown. I disagree. It was necessary, in my opinion, to view just how brutal the murders and crime scenes were. After all, this is an MA rated documentary.

I almost stopped it after appr 10 min of the first ep....solely because I felt that I could watch a 45 min Youtube vid that tells me all I want to know. I am glad I stuck with it.

3.9/5.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OIP.vQc3mo1uuJTaK3GRHXHukwHaEK

Finally saw this series after weeks of skipping past it on my Amazon Prime feed. Pretty good.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched a couple of decent docs recently. First was a short HBO series, The Lady And The Dale, about a 70s grift/entrepreneurial venture that was more complicated than it initially appeared. It used a lot of paper cut out animation (think South Park style, but with photos and news clippings). Thoughtful and worth a watch.
MV5BZTNhMDliZTEtZmMyMy00ODEyLTgxOWQtZjgxYjNmM2NhNzEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Second was Class Action Park, about the legendarily dangerous amusement park in New Jersey in the 80s. Some of the things they described are mind blowing, and it's no surprise that people died there. Fun watch.
Class_Action_Park_Digital_Poster.png

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watched this compelling series of shows about the British Secret Air Service during World War II. To me, it is better than any fiction that can be written about the war - it's like a mashup of Inglorious Basterds and Guns of Navarone.

One of Three:

Two of Three:

Three of Three:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bikes of Wrath is enjoyable. 5 young Australians ride their bikes from Tulsa to Bakersfield retracking the journey in Grapes of Wrath during the Dustbowl days. It has the joys and challenges of a long distance bike ride, meeting a variety of people and their humanity.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know about must see, but I will check it out.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MV5BMjAwNTM4ODE1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzk4NjYyMTI@._V1_.jpg

This multi-episode series shows a huge variety of archival footage from the earliest days to their massive fame and following in the 80's and later. Whether you like the Dead's music or not, this doc does an excellent job showing their growing appeal to a segment of society looking for something as well as capturing elements of the evolving social scene of the 60's and 70's.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
X-post...

AAAABeGzcS0T0BZzO9b-fxJm72wGSh4rCMDKw-KxQl1eW4D5xJcxYGEEoyvUeZtLFTTemsJzA1bZlBoSXk1cjnXEzX74nje2zE8OscrTXYDdOBxUfGB15FBjXSTPrG0GNQ.jpg

Also caught this today......

Back in 2004, 2 of the best teams in the Eastern Conference of the NBA squared off in Detroit at the Palace at Auburn Hills: the home team Detroit Pistons vs the Indiana Pacers. It was a Friday night in November and both of these teams were expected to compete for the NBA title...which the Pistons won the year before.

Indiana came in looking to set the tone and let everyone know that they were the team to beat. Detroit was looking to defend the title.

Well, Indiana came to play and put on a clinic....until the end of the game when some tussling took place.....and everyone knows what happened after!

This doc is basically told by Reggie M, Ron A, Jermaine O and Stephen J's viewpoint. It is very good.

As a Piston fan, I have seen docs about this in the past. This was very well done!

4/5.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1*0J__yhEFn4VPa3ovF8bb1g.jpeg

This documentary tells the story of the Knoedler art gallery in NYC and the $80 million dollars of fake artwork that it sold over several years.

The main characters are Ann Freedman, who was the director at the gallery, and Glafira Rosales, who approached the gallery/Freedman with a tall tale about how a client came to come into possession of many unknown works of art by some premier artists.

In reality, they were all top notch forgeries that Freedman was 100% sure were legit!

This is a fascinating look at forgery in the art world with commentary from the main players, attorneys, buyers and even the actual forger!

Definitely worth a watch!

4/5.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I watched this doc last night at an outdoor square in Mt Pleasant neighborhood of DC. Never knew about this riot despite living in DC for the past 13 years (born and raised in the suburbs).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads