1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Must replace my Florence Knoll sofa

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Wow, that does suck. You went with Spinneybeck Sabrina right? Ours has held up really well. On the other hand, it does have a light coating, unlike, e.g., Spinneybeck Arizona, and if the first guy removed that there is little that could be done to replace it in-situ.

Yeah, it's Sabrina. Yours is holding up well? What color did you get? We're less disappointed with the durability, and more with the shoddy quality control.

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Cappellini Elan.

Never would have guessed. [​IMG]

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

All that anxiety, and now this.

I would have gotten a mustard tweed.

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Cappellini Elan. Quality is good. The sofa is really modern looking in person, and goes well with mid-century stuff. The designer, Jasper Morrison, is somebody you will either love or hate, but I think he is one of the very best around, and certainly worth checking out.
    I own this sofa and seconds Iammatt comments. It's definitely slim and low profile. I have the two seaters 2,10m long version though, only two large cushions and the armrests are not as large as they appear on this picture.

!luc

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I like this

I like the Autoban collection by De La Espada. The Box Sofa is particularly cool - clear MCM influence but has a more contemporary feel.

[​IMG]

6. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I'm shocked by the shoddy service and product quality, so we are happy to take our money elsewhere. Still, the Florence Knoll is our favorite design. For that reason, we may try to re-order the sofa, but in a different fabric or leather--probably fabric, because we're scared of the leather now.

Thanks!

1. Use your awesome lawyery skillz to sue them out of business ,finally. Their gimmiky junk should cease to exist.

2. Don't be surprised by shoddy or flat out dishonest services. We in US fancy ourselves to be a developed world's nation while living in a 3rd world country in fact.

7. mafoofan

I would have gotten a mustard tweed.

That would be very pretty, but it doesn't quite fit into our living room scheme.

I own this sofa and seconds Iammatt comments. It's definitely slim and low profile. I have the two seaters 2,10m long version though, only two large cushions and the armrests are not as large as they appear on this picture.

Does it feel solid? The two cushion setup might be preferable anyway; the smaller center cushion looks a little funny. What's this thing cost?

I like this

Eh. Very neat looking piece, but I have a hard time imagining it with other things.

1. Use your awesome lawyery skillz to sue them out of business ,finally. Their gimmiky junk should cease to exist.

I have none. Anyway, they already offered a full refund.

If we do another Florence Knoll, we're looking at this fabric:

[​IMG]

It's 96% wool and 4% cashmere. Martindale rating of 27,500.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Eh. Very neat looking piece, but I have a hard time imagining it with other things.

What about now?

[​IMG]

9. mafoofan

What about now?

[​IMG]

They look like friends in a children's cartoon where objects that are inanimate in real life have personalities and can talk.

10. robin

robin Senior member

They look like friends in a children's cartoon where objects that are inanimate in real life have personalities and can talk.
    Like Mafoofan's brave little toaster!

[​IMG]

11. spertia

spertia Senior member

Given your tastes and interests in furniture, I'm sure you have already considered this obvious possibility, but what about the Eames Sofa Compact? Not as substantial as your current sofa, but given your bad experience with Knoll, perhaps you should give Herman Miller a try.

12. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Does it feel solid? The two cushion setup might be preferable anyway; the smaller center cushion looks a little funny. What's this thing cost?
    cushions are feathers, made by Cassina. Removable cushions are great for cleaning and let you swap/return them weekly easily.
    I have diffculties lifting it, that's how solid it is [​IMG]
    Cost will vary with the fabric. As I have two small kids, I didn't chose anything fancy: heavy duty moka trevira. This kind of setup will take you close to $6,000.

!luc

13. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

Mafoo, just ask this forum, or Iammat for a shortcut, what the best of the best is and then buy it. Just like the rest of your stuff.

14. mafoofan

Mafoo, just ask this forum, or Iammat for a shortcut, what the best of the best is and then buy it. Just like the rest of your stuff.

Do you really think I'd dress the way I do if I picked what the forum liked?

15. summej2

summej2 Senior member

Yeah, it's Sabrina. Yours is holding up well? What color did you get? We're less disappointed with the durability, and more with the shoddy quality control.

Our is a dark brown. I have a swatch with number somewhere, but don't recall off hand.

The down side with leathers like these I think is that if the surface coating is abraded off, there isn't anything that can be done. The plus side is that it won't abrade or stain easily.