• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must haves for desk/office?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a plant for my office.

I have southern exposure and a large windowsill. The amount of sunlight is limited by buildings, but I do have have direct sunlight for part of the day. Haven't been in this office through a winter yet, so I don't know how cold it gets by the window.

Top of my list right now is a rosemary plant. I think I've got the conditions for it, it smells nice, and then I can always snip fresh rosemary to take home and cook with.

Any other suggestions?

dexterhaven

Reaction score

Headphones to tune out ur annoying co workers

Word

I am thinking about getting a plant for my office.

I have southern exposure and a large windowsill. The amount of sunlight is limited by buildings, but I do have have direct sunlight for part of the day. Haven't been in this office through a winter yet, so I don't know how cold it gets by the window.

Top of my list right now is a rosemary plant. I think I've got the conditions for it, it smells nice, and then I can always snip fresh rosemary to take home and cook with.

Any other suggestions?

I have a snake plant in my office. Don't know if I'm secure enough to rock a rosemary plant.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently discovered bolt-action pens and they are fantastic to play with while doing monotonous office tasks. I've been using a fountain pen for years (Pelikan M215) but have just started using these TiBolt and Maxmadco bolt-action pens just recently. There are some decent writing Parker style refills out there and the bolt-action is just a great thing to fiddle with during the day.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went on a weekend trip to TX. On the flight back I got some Mexican jumping beans. These things are absolutely amazing and the most fun I've had in years. I got two boxes of beans. Everyone in the office was interested in them. When I purchased the beans I got a paper that detailed bean care, and on the reverse side had a bean race grid.

Each player picks a lucky bean. There is an inner circle where all the player's beans are placed, then an outer circle broken up into quadrants of 1 to 4. Whatever bean jumps to the outer circle quadrant, everyone has to pay him that amount of dollars. My colleagues and I placed out lucky beans and stepped away for the stampede to begin. Everyone was crowded around. It took a good 20 mins for the finish, but during that time if anyone got up to get water, they all stopped by to watch the bean race. In the end, one of our product developers won $6. I hope to plan another race tomorrow.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I went on a weekend trip to TX. On the flight back I got some Mexican jumping beans. These things are absolutely amazing and the most fun I've had in years. I got two boxes of beans. Everyone in the office was interested in them. When I purchased the beans I got a paper that detailed bean care, and on the reverse side had a bean race grid.

Each player picks a lucky bean. There is an inner circle where all the player's beans are placed, then an outer circle broken up into quadrants of 1 to 4. Whatever bean jumps to the outer circle quadrant, everyone has to pay him that amount of dollars. My colleagues and I placed out lucky beans and stepped away for the stampede to begin. Everyone was crowded around. It took a good 20 mins for the finish, but during that time if anyone got up to get water, they all stopped by to watch the bean race. In the end, one of our product developers won $6. I hope to plan another race tomorrow.

You should YouTube that.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of fun ever since I got this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012DNFP6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a neodymium magnet. The pull force is 140 lbs(pure iron). No one in the office guessed how powerful it was. I would show them the magnet, then motion to the filing cabinet and tell them see how strong it is. Everyone is very surprised and scared when the magnet slams into the cabinet. I do it whenever we get a new employee too. I keep the magnet on top of some books when I'm not having fun with it. So far my computer and cell phone have been safe from it.

What do you do Reggs?

Director of marketing for a B2B tech company.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.marital aid.com/

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Google Cardboard might be fun to have...
Looks like some funky cardboard viewmaster...and then you stick your phone in it and let your guest have a little virtual reality experience.

fiagucale

Reaction score
normally keep a gun on mine, I find it quite useful to use when people ask me to do things.
32.gif

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread; will take some of these ideas as I recently transitioned into an investigative job desk job in the public sector.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads