• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must haves for desk/office?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moved in a new office that has nothing in it but a ****** old Dell computer. Already got a nice keyboard and mouspad, working on finding a mouse I like. Next is a nice ergonomic chair, but I think that might take me a while to find.

What are some things that you couldn't live without on your desk or in your office? Anything from a type of pen, notebook, organizing bins to art work or headphones.

Anyone have any recommendations? (On chairs, too)

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally keep a gun on mine, I find it quite useful to use when people ask me to do things.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
memo pad to doodle on

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not on my desk but I really like having a networked sheet-feeding scanner (scans go to email/Evernote). I wish I had a ScanSnap though.

Last edited:

byau

Reaction score
A. USB hub with 10 ports
1) External hard drive
2) USB stick
3) USB stick
4) USB stick
5) USB handheld massager
6) Printer
7) Wired mouse (I just like how its more responsive)
8) Wired keyboard (I just like how its more responsive)
9) Open
10) Open

B. A stack of 8"x11" paper which has 9 PowerPoint-slide-dimensioned outlines printed on them... for slide doodling

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to get these, with a bunch of marketing/stats/general business/laws of power, win friends and influence people, the prince ect... books to put between:

il_fullxfull.369390132_8o26.jpg

Lamy multi-function pen/pencel and Field Notes steno pad:

hTb8j.jpg

Had this, they died out in about 4 weeks, best conversation piece so far. People loved this:

giant-ant-farm.jpg

On the walls I pin up my advertisements, ones from competitors, and pictures of idols of my profession.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get some sort of interesting plant for my desk. I'm thinking venus fly traps.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 2 litre bottle of water. My health improved dramatically after I started keeping water on-hand throughout the day. Its crazy easy to forget to stay hydrated and your work will suffer for it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't use bottles. I have a mug I keep on my desk. After my morning tea, I regularly refill it (after cleaning of course) with water. I probably drink at least four ~10 oz cups of water a day. Feel sorry for people who chug soda at their desks.

I have a lot of writing pads for notes, listmaking and doodling.

I have pens I enjoy writing with. One I have from this local hotel and another that's a gift but I seldom use.

I have a desk lamp.

Comfortable as hell Herman Miller chair.

Art - A map of South America and a Matisse (replica).

Keep your desk organized!

I really need a plant or two here.

Last edited:

Maximator

Reaction score
REALLY necessary items(aka things that affect performance) in no particular order.

1. Good pens and pencils. Get the mechanical kind and always have refills on hand. For every writing device that you have, have the exact same one as a backup. If they get lost/stolen etc, you'll be grateful
  2. A large selection of papers. I guess many of you will have to write things down and thus need note paper. Contrary to popular belief not all paper is created equal. Find a paper that you like and buy a lot of it. I recommend that you get paper that already has holes in it so that when you rip it out it's much easier to put in a folder.
  3. Ergonomically correct chair/desk.
  4. Non alcoholic/caffeinated drinks(aka tea/water). Try avoiding sodas as the sugar content dehydrates you and all the chemicals in the non sugar ones are cancerous(or so they say). Also, hydrate regularly. A 2% drop below optimal hydration will result in a 10+% drop in concentration power, on top of all the other bad things associated with dehydration.
  5. Something personal. Why is this essential? When people walk into your office they should be able to connect to you. The easiest way to facilitate that is having something interesting that you can talk about in your office.
  6. A fresh set of clothes. You never know what might happen. Coffee (or any other) stains are unacceptable.
  7. 2 USB hubs with as many connections as possible. .
  8. USB sticks. At least 2 high capacity ones for you that you NEVER EVER lend to anyone, and then maybe another 3 cheap low capacity ones that you can lend to other people or use to transfer files.
  9. A second screen if you have space. Most people would see this as a luxury item but it really improves productivity, especially if you do a lot of work with spreadsheets and word processors, etc.
  10. Breathmints/Toothpaste+Toothbrush. You never know, and even if it's 7pm, no one wants to smell your stinky breath.

- Maximator

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also forgot grooming supplies: I have floss, shoe horn, gum/breathmints, comb, cologne, lint roller and mouthwash. I also have these great wingman "bodywipes" that are great for getting refreshed if you live in a sweaty/muggy climate (http://www.groominglounge.com/wingman).

I also have a letter opener and scissors.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
human skull

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads