• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must have shoe colors

sfo423

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the shoe collection and and purchasing three new pair now. Question is what are the three most flexible/staple colors?

I was going w/a dark brown wholecut, a black single monk (sorry) and an oxford in another brown-ish shade. Thoughts?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Burgundy. It goes with outfits intended for brown shoes, it goes with outfits intended for black shoes. I could only own burgundy/reddish toned shoes and be completely content and happy

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've been in your situation and sought out the advice of the likes of aportnoy and jcusey here. I think the most versatile color if you can only have a couple of shoes to start with is clearly dark brown. You might anchor your rotation around that color, then throw in the necessary formal black oxford and one less formal shoe. IMHO, it's easier to dress down shoes than it is to dress them up.

I would go with:

Slot 1: (very formal shoe) Black plain cap toe.

Slot 2: (still formal shoe) Dark brown medallion cap toe or wingtip

Slot 3: (another somewhat formal shoe, or something more fun) Another dark brown shoe like your wholecut, or something like a chestnut wingtip, or a dark brown or chestnut monk

Ultimately, you might aim for five shoes: black / dark brown / dark brown / chestnut (reddish) / tan (yellowish)

I think black monks are a pretty inflexible choice since they're not a formal style when you want to be formal. Still, black monks can look very sharp, especially when you go out at night, so it might depend on what you need for work. (I mean, they can't be less formal than black Gucci loafers, right?)

I also wouldn't get a wholecut until I got a black cap toe and a dark brown oxford.

Incidentally, I started my shoe collection by spending approx. $1,000 on a black medallion cap toe, a dark brown medallion cap toe in the same style, and a tan plain cap toe.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=13696&highlight="shoe+damage"

......0060415topview9uz.jpg

Good luck! Post photos.

sfo423

Reaction score
C&J Weymouth in dark brown, C&J Seville in black & the C&J Drummond in what they call "Beechnut." I have not found a true burgandy yet. Beechnut may be too light. As you can see, I like/look for the "semi-chiseled" sleek look w/classic styling.

sfo423

Reaction score
I have not found a black medallion cap (or brown) that is (a) semi/somewhat chiseled (b) <$500 and (c) quality of C&J.

Tips?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Burgundy. It goes with outfits intended for brown shoes, it goes with outfits intended for black shoes. I could only own burgundy/reddish toned shoes and be completely content and happy

Excellent suggestion
fing02[1].gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of work do you do and what clothes do you wear, to begin with? And any particular reason why you're looking only at C&J?

Your selection leans a bit too much towards casual, and you won't have anything for a very formal evening function requiring a suit. The Weymouth is C&J's trademark design and the Seville is a great monk, but I wouldn't buy either until I secured a black cap toe and a dark brown cap toe or wingtip.

You can try Polo's Benton cap toe, which is C&J. If you work fast, you may yet talk someone into giving it to you at the sale price (40% off).

sfo423

Reaction score
I tried the Stanton over the weekend; bad fit for me. Benton (from the web) looks very similar, maybe less rounded than the Stanton.

My attire:
Blazer / trousers 2x/weeks
Suit maybe 1x/every 2 weeks

I'm in real estate; renovate apartment bldgs & sell as TICs (its a San Fran thing, similar to a condo) and also have sales activity. Sometimes meeting w/investors, sometimes looking for new investors, often times selling.

pejsek

Reaction score
A well-worn copy of The Path Of Daggers and a bottle of Moet &amp; Chandon in plastic wrap?! I'm feeling a bit queasy.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfo423
I tried the Stanton over the weekend; bad fit for me. Benton (from the web) looks very similar, maybe less rounded than the Stanton.
If I have it right, the Stanton is from some Italian line and it's the Benton that's C&J handgrade. Note if the Benton doesn't fit you well, that might mean trouble with other C&J shoes.

Despite your attire, FWIW, I still wouldn't have monks for my first black shoe. I'd still get a black cap toe and a dark brown wingtip, then have fun with the rest. You're in a profession where you can have fun with lighter browns and more casual styles, a position many here would enjoy.

sfo423

Reaction score
Note if the Benton doesn't fit you well, that might mean trouble with other C&J shoes.[
I ordered a pair of Weymouths from T&A for sizing. Perfect fit in a 9E on the 337. I'll send them back tomorrow.

still get a black cap toe and a dark brown wingtip
Suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads