• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musings on Spring Wear

november

Reaction score
Maybe because the temperature has been above the freezing point for the past few days in Montreal but I am feeling very spring-minded these days.
It doesn't help that stores are now offering spring clothes already when we could amange to reach -40 degrees at any moment in the next few weeks.
Has this always been the case? or it is just a marketing ploy?
I would assume clothing lines make most of their money on fall season clothing yet they seem to push their spring season earlier and earlier.

How does someone from LA, Miami, or SF feels about that as they don't have to endure harsh winters. Do stores on the West Coast offer Spring clothes all year long?
Does this Spring/Fall distinction still make any sense in this day and age?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you saying that stores do or do not have spring clothes yet? I know spring lines are appearing on-line.

Admittedly, my experience is colored by where I've lived (from Chicago/New York, now in London), but I think consumers--especially women--buy more summer specific clothing and spread the rest of their wardrobe across the other seasons. So you'd wear summer clothes from, say, May to August/September, or 4/5 months. It's really those peak-heat summer days where you can't wear everything else.

But after post-Christmas sales, it has to be incredibly difficult for retailers to make money on cold-weather clothing. Who wants to buy a sweater in February? That is unless it's at 80% off.

So they rush out the spring clothes, attract those taking mid-winter holidays to sunny destinations, as well as those dreaming of warmer days.

I think the spring/fall distinction does make sense, but the retail world is increasingly divided down into smaller windows. Segments of seasons and all that. This encourages you to buy something when you see it. If it's there in May, you can pretty much guarantee it won't be in July.

november

Reaction score
thank you, i hadn't notice my mistake in my original post.
It's true that many escape winter for a week under the sun.
I forgot that these people might be the target for such an early push of Spring clothes.  High-end stores especially are pushing swimsuits,  sandals, short-sleeved shirts,etc...
I guess there was a demand and it has been filled.

When I used to live in Calgary, it was always funny to see spring clothes in front of the stores when there was snow on the ground in May.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
How does someone from LA, Miami, or SF feels about that as they don't have to endure harsh winters. Do stores on the West Coast offer Spring clothes all year long?
Does this Spring/Fall distinction still make any sense in this day and age?
We just finished a seminar in the Bay Area, with people from different parts of the country, and all remarked, "Does it ever snow here?"

Yes, we do offer seasonal clothing here, having just finished the last season and now on to Spring Selection. Lots of interesting colors and patterns in Sportswear. Love the silk affect in sweater vests. Never thought I would be looking at coral sportscoat in my closet, but there it is.

Oh, the last time it snow here was about 30 years ago. The uneventful wheather, after several decades, is just that. Uneventful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads