• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musings on Gucci, Lacoste, and Ralph Lauren

Coral reef

Reaction score
I have a few Gucci dress shirts, slim fits, that run really slim. They're beautiful shirts--gorgeous MOP buttons, excellent cotton, etc. They run about $300.00 and up.

When I compared these to my Lacoste shirts, I noticed a few things.

With Lacoste, all of their shirts and polos have mother of pearl buttons; whereas companies, like Ralph Lauren, only use MOP buttons on their high end lines, black, purple, as far as I know.

The Lacoste "Club Collection" or "Black Collection," whatever Lacoste is going by now, is the high end line; I have a few of their club shirts that really feel like and resemble dress shirts, to a degree, minus the silver croc logo. But in comparing this to the Gucci, (I'm no fabric expert) on the surface there is little to no difference. Both Gucci and Lacoste Club use the same buttons (though the Lacoste are slightly bigger and shinier) and the quality of the cotton, the stitching, etc appear pretty equal. The Gucci fabric might have an edge but not by much.

When you consider the difference in price $300.00 to $150.00, it makes you wonder what you are paying for. And when you consider Lacoste goes nearly half off in their semi annual sale, you can pick up these shirts for around $80.00-$90.00, it really is a good deal.

Although I like the sliver croc on the shirts, I will say the one thing about Lacoste that I hate is the overuse of their logo. I'm not a fan of logos and prefer sweaters, shirts, etc without them, though on certain polos and sports shirts I enjoy them. Here are a few links to some new shirts of Lacoste:

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01...ages/cover.gif

Ralph Lauren only uses MOP buttons on their high end stuff. Having seen and worn their purple label dress shirts, I really don't believe the price is justified. The price you pay for these shirts you can get far better shirts from Loro Piana, Zegna, Brunello Cucinelli, Brioni, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of Ralph Lauren.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i personally dont care too much for Gucci. Quality is median compared to the price. I thknk you're paying for the name mostly. I do have a beautiful Gucci black dinner jacket that I love...fits great and quality is top notch. But I didnt pay the $2,250 price tag for it either. For the price, Id get borelli or kiton or the like. pay for quality and craftmanship, not name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads