• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
After a long time of not posting, here are my newest acquisitions (as usual, an odd list
biggrin.gif
) Black Will by Siva Six. Very nice. Verrrry nice. Hard but not unoriginal, like a combination of Combichrist, VNV Nation and Hypnoskull (with the vocalist somewhere between :wumpscut: and "trust no one" era N-17). Great stuff. Kraanerg - Iannis Xenakis (performed by Sinfonieorchester Basel with Alexander Wilkerson). Just started listening to it, got it from eMusic yesterday. Unclassifiable stuff but hey, no surprise there. I gravitate towards oddness. 1 hour 14 minutes long, single track. Urk! Anyone here a Nouvelle Vague fan, btw? Still planning to get their first album but I am unsure if it will degenerate to the level of interesting oddity over the long term. The wife really likes them so I may get the album anyway, though... P.s. saw haujobb a few weeks ago. Bloody hell was that a bloody good show.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

****, nevermind. Is this a new piece?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Kraanerg? Don't think so. I'll have to check the date - the recording itself may be recent though.

EditL:
The release is from 2003 (the first review mentions that the recording is from 2001). No info on CDDB. http://www.amazon.com/Iannis-Xenakis...9823412&sr=1-1

Ah, OK. I'm familiar with the DJ Spooky release but this was new to me. I'll probably get it off of eMusic also. Thanks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Ah, OK. I'm familiar with the DJ Spooky release but this was new to me. I'll probably get it off of eMusic also. Thanks.
emusic:
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Xenakis:
worship.gif
They have on emusic a CD of remixes of Persepolis, btw; one of the artists is Akita Masami (Merzbow)
wow.gif
P.s. if you prefer they have available one more performance of Kraanerg, somewhat older, that is split in to multiple tracks rather than this one that is a single huge track.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've been out of the loop as I dumped my entire music collection. Upon further listening to the new Animal Collective, I think it's their best. It's very structured and poppy, but I think it's also their most emotionally connected and resonant work. I love it. I know we have some AC fans on the board so...thoughts?

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Any one into Pernice Brothers? I can not get the "Cut the baby in two" song....
Yes........"bum leg" and "hundred dollar pocket" are beautiful songs. And Joe is also a fan of the tv show The Wire.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that a number of people here are in to underground Japanese music so, some questions:

Bleach 03's "Bleach 03" - worth getting or should I look for a different album? Granted, I don't listen to much of this stuff (most of what I listen to is either harder or poppier) but found that album on eMusic and it sparked my interest.

Zeni Geva's "Freedom Bondage" - impressions? As I like it (some of) the grindcore, it sounds interesting. Best album or should I again look for a different one?

Susumu Yokota's "Wonder Waltz". The previews on eMusic sound good to me but I noticed that their output can vary a lot.

Any opinions?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've been out of the loop as I dumped my entire music collection. Upon further listening to the new Animal Collective, I think it's their best. It's very structured and poppy, but I think it's also their most emotionally connected and resonant work. I love it. I know we have some AC fans on the board so...thoughts?

Gets better on every listen. "For Reverend Green" has become the sandout for me.

Now I think it's alright we're together
Now I think that's alright yeah
Now I think it's the best we've ever played it
Now I think it's alright to feel inhuman
Now I think it's alright to sing together

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Gets better on every listen. "For Reverend Green" has become the sandout for me.
I was roped into listening to some of this band's music last night by a female friend of mine. I was sorely tempted to sharpen a pencil and jam it in my ear. What horrible crap. Can anyone explain the popularity to me? Maybe I'm missing something.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
I was roped into listening to some of this band's music last night by a female friend of mine. I was sorely tempted to sharpen a pencil and jam it in my ear. What horrible crap. Can anyone explain the popularity to me? Maybe I'm missing something.

Check out "Winter's Love" off of Sung Tongs. It's probably AC's most accessible song.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Righto

Couple of things.

My band just released a record

www.dickprall.com
or dick prall on myspace. Listen to long play, its a beaut

Im the fiddle player.

I am totally obsessed with Midlake and the song Young Bride, that is a perfect song in my book.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have just finished first listen of Radiohead's new album, "In Rainbows". I think i like it, alot.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Why is everyone so impressed with the artists that are propped up for us to love? Most of the artists we hear and are provided to us by the big corporations, are "built" to impress us. Our current tastes are forced on us. Most mainstream artists don't possess great voices. Let's search out and find new and exciting talent for ourselves.

http://stylishsongstress.tumblr.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads