• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I've recently developed a fascination for power ballads. I think it was inspired by a TV commercial. Regardless, I'm insatiable - I'll take anything I can get. I've even gone so far to sing some of it at kareoke. Journey, REO Speedwagon, Toto, Skid Row, Foreigner, Whitesnake, Nazareth, Scorpions, Def Leppard, GNR, Warrant, Kiss.

Seriously - I need help. Nazareth?.

Mitch D

Reaction score
artdeco73, I don't listen to much classical music -- I'm rarely patient enough to truly appreciate it -- but,in quieter moments,I do really enjoy piano jazz. My favorites include Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett,and a new discovery,the Tord Gustavsen Trio. Their new release,"Changing Places," is excellent. I also enjoy Philip Glass and Brian Eno (who is more of an electronic/ambient artist).

Mike

Reaction score
I'm a pretty eclectic music listeneer. I like everything. Recently, though, my buddies and I started playing GTA Vice City again. I've been downloading the 80s tunes ever since. I got about 65 of 'em now, from Hall & Oates to old(good) Madonna to new wave like The Human League and some Judas Priest. Not a lot of hair bands though. I was never a huge hair band fan, even when I grew up in the 80s.

F4iryder14

Reaction score
I certainly concur with your dislike of Nu Metal; the sooner that bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit go the way of the boy bands,the better. My one exception: Korn. They are one rap-metal band I consistently enjoy.
I agree with the Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park statements, but if you like Korn then I think one nu-metal band you might like is Disturbed.  I bought both of their cd's (some of the only ones I have bought in like a year) and that's all I have been listening to for the past 6 weeks.  They write and produce all their own stuff, and it is really very impressive.  Ozzy Osbourne (who I really don't care for because everybody says they like him just because it's the "cool" thing to say even though all his music sounds the same) called them the future of rock in an interview.  I have been on a rock/heavy metal  kick for like the past 3 years, so a couple of my other favorites are: Saliva, Godsmack (gonna be photographing their concert with Metallica in OKC May 14th, I'm stoked Â
biggrin.gif
), Mudvayne has some good stuff and even Trapt and Theory of a Dead Man have caught my ear. But my favorite band of all time is Led Zeppelin. It's their world, all other bands just pay rent...
tounge.gif
 I like most everything, but one genre I will never get into: reggae.  Just can't do it.  Sounds like crap to me. And I can dig some blues, but not feeling jazz music too much. Kevin

Mitch D

Reaction score
I agree with the Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park statements, but if you like Korn then I think one nu-metal band you might like is Disturbed...a couple of my other favorites are: Saliva, Godsmack...Mudvayne...but my favorite band of all time is Led Zeppelin. Â It's their world, all other bands just pay rent...
tounge.gif
  Â
Kevin, I did enjoy Disturbed's first CD,"The Sickness" (and almost wore it out,when I first got it),although I was less impressed with their follow up,"Believe." Mudvayne and Godsmack are cool (enjoy the show. I'm no Metallica fan,but Godsmack should rock.). I know you don't care for Ozzy,but check out Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society ("The Blessed Hellride"); Zakk used to be Ozzy's lead guitar. Good stuff. You ever check out KNAC.com? Music for headbangers,streamed 24-7. Led Zeppelin is one of my all-time favorites too. Amazing body of work. Too damn bad that John Bonham died; they were moving in a really interesting direction with "In Through The Out Door."

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Seriously - I need help.  Nazareth?.
"Hair of the Dog," baby.... haha, I completely sympathize with every band on your list.

artdeco,

Are you a fan of Ellis Marsalis (the jazz pianist)? I was lucky enough to see him in a small club last weekend. He was performing with his son Jason (on drums) and two other men (bass and saxophone). The show was absolutely incredible.

artdeco73

Reaction score
   artdeco,

Are you a fan of Ellis Marsalis (the jazz pianist)?  I was lucky enough to see him in a small club last weekend.  He was performing with his son Jason (on drums) and two other men (bass and saxophone).  The show was absolutely incredible.

I wouldn't call myself a fan, but with his son Wynton Marsalis being probably the most controversial jazz musician since Miles Davis, it's difficult not to have heard of him.  Very musical familty in general -- besides Wynton, Branford plays saxophone and Delfayeo plays trombone.  All Ellis's sons.  Ellis himself, I believe, is in semi-retirement in New Orleans, but still teaches occasionally.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself a fan, but with his son Wynton Marsalis being probably the most controversial jazz musician since Miles Davis, it's difficult not to have heard of him.
I'm not sure Wynton Marsalis is controversial - and if he is, it's only because he is so commercial. Anything even remotely involving jazz, and Wynton is there, pimping it out. He's made himself jazz's ambassador - self appointed. I'm not sure the giants (Coltrane, Gordon, Davis, Gillespe, Monk) would have elected him (or anyone, for that matter).

While people have mentioned some great jazz pianists like Evans, we're missing some legends. The aforementioned Thelonious Monk changed the game. Art Tatum could have been the most skilled of all of them. Herbie Hancock's stuff with the Miles Davis Quintet is outstanding (and he was something like 21 years old). Earl Hines. Go back even further can check out Willie "The Lion" Smith.

artdeco73

Reaction score
I'm not sure Wynton Marsalis is controversial

Wynton is controversial not because he is commercial, but because he claims to know what "true" jazz is, and, more importantly, what it isn't.  He proceeds to play only what he thinks is "true" jazz, and the logical, and obviously preposterous conclusion is, "unless it sounds like Wynton, it isn't jazz."  I'm overstating of course, but I think the point is clear.  But that alone would not necessarily have made him controversial.  His definition of jazz happens to lack the key element that has defined jazz throughout its history -- innovation.  By putting straight-ahead, blues- and standards-based jazz under a glass canopy like a museum piece and declaring it the only true form of jazz, he goes fundamentally against the genre's basic philosophy of innovation and experimentation.  That is why he is controversial.

There is another dimension that made him controversial -- racial.  For that, though, we have Wynton's ridiculous boosters like Stanley Crouch to thank, rather than Wynton himself.  Crouch and others have insinuated, without actually coming out and saying it, that because jazz was developed by African-Americans, they are somehow fundamentally better at playing it today than people of other backgrounds.

There was an excellent article in the March 2003 issue Atlantic Monthly on Wynton.  It's not available online for free, unfortunately, but if you have access to Atlantic back issues, I highly recommend it.

Regards,
artdeco73

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 Favorite artist:
Tupac
Biggie
Jay-Z
Nas
Mobb Deep
Carl Thomas
Mary J.Blidge
Buckshot of BlackMoon
Big Daddy Kane
Slick Rick
Rakim
(Diverse list isn't it)

Favorite Songs:
Godfather Part 3- Mobb Deep
I got you open- BlackMoon
Politics as Usual- Jay- Z
Hit em UP- Tupac
Hold your head- Tupac
MY downfall- Biggie
Victory- Puffy, Biggie ,Busta Rhymes

Brian SD

Reaction score
I also enjoy Philip Glass and Brian Eno (who is more of an electronic/ambient artist).
I am a huge Brian Eno fan, less for his actual own music but more for the tremendous leaps and bounds he's brought emerging music through since the 70s. My very favorite Various Artists CD is "No New York," which was done by Brian Eno. He also did a lot of work with the Talking Heads, who are also idols of mine. My other heroes of both music and production are Jim O'Rourke and Steve Albini. Anyone here a DEVO fan?
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seeing as I am listing to "The Maple Leaf Rag" by Scott Joplin, that pretty much gives you an idea of my music tastes.
biggrin.gif
Actually I listen to just about everything. The music selection through my day is a variable kaleidoscope of the different music genres. I can go from Schubert to Placebo to Cole Porter to Rage Against the Machine to Michael Nyman to Coldplay to Paul Oakenfold to The Beatles to Beethoven all in the span of one hour. I can pretty much listen (and like) most genres. Except for SKA (why?
confused.gif
confused.gif
?) and new pop-country music (also: WHY?
confused.gif
confused.gif
??). Those two I hate, with a passion. Jon.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been listening to Air a lot more over the last couple of days - good stuff. They do a wide mix of music, most of it is pretty mellow. They make use of the synthesizer and most of the music has an 'electronica' quality, yet is quite melodic and nice. Some of the songs are pure instrumental, and some have lyrics. If anyone has seen the film "The Virgin Suicides", Air composed the soundtrack for it. Great stuff for relaxing. Here's some highlight tracks:

Le Voyage De Penelope
Playground Love
Empty House
Talisman

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Air is awesome live. I went to see them when they came through Seattle, front row tickets, and the show was incredible. Sorry if this list is a little eclectic. I listen to a lot of different types of music.

The Stranglers
The Toadies
The Streets
Danzig
Prefuse 73
Frederick Chopin
Common (Common Sense)
Janis Joplin
Money Mark
Hum
The Cars
Outkast
Groove Armada
Fugees
Tool/A Perfect Circle
David Bowie
Fantomas
Sergei Rachmanonov
Al Green
The Pixies
Aesop Rock
Nine Inch Nails
The Fixx
Bjork
Dan The Automator
Franz Liszt
Deltron 3030
Atmosphere
Air
The Clash
Stone Temple Pilots
Elvis Presley
Deftones
Blondie
Claude Debussy
Dr. Dre
And of course, Johnny Cash.

It all makes perfect sense to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads