Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I still find it amazing that artists like Jens Lekman, The Knife and Jose Gonzalez top the charts over yonder.

And for the 'fork haters: as a person in the industry, if a Pitchfork review can sell 30k more copies of a burgeoning bands records, then I'm all for it. All the Pitchfork news is swiped from the blog scene anyway. That's where all the hype starts for those in the know. Look at Beirut. Good, but definitely not the next NMH.

I think it's more like this:

Blog: "I saw this band live, they're one of my favorites now."

Pitchfork: "This band kicks fucking ass. 9.11873. Now after we've covered it, all the bloggers are starting to hype it."

Blog: "Wow this new band I just saw today, was awesome."

2. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Nah. Case in point: Tapes 'n Tapes, Clap Your Hands, Beirut, etc. Don't know what you're talking about.

3. minya

minya Senior member

Pitchfork ruined Boris.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Wow... 808 State.. I have some vinyl back home in Limassol... good stuff; I got in to them around the UK/EU old skool rave days... what are they doing these days?

5. minya

minya Senior member

I think 808 State is pretty much dormant. electronic music is dead [​IMG]

6. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I think 808 State is pretty much dormant.

electronic music is dead [​IMG]

I'm not a huge fan of electronic music anymore, but I think it's far from dead. It just never hit those heights that people were expecting.

For 808state updates you can always check out http://www.808state.com

bob

7. Manny Calavera

Pitchfork ruined Boris.
    Ha. Nothing could ruin Boris. [​IMG] And I don't mind Pitchfork hate, as there's a lot of hate on the internet as it seems, I just don't like when people not involved in the scene talk about the Pitchfork hype machine. Trust me, I'm there for its inception. All Pitchfork does is deliver it to the (not quite) indie-mainstream. I don't know what blogs are feeding off Pitchfork hype but they're of no matter in the grand scheme of things. The only problem is the important clubs like Bowery and Black Cat. They definitely suckle from the PF teet. And electronic music dead? Oh noes. Don't tell my label that. Look at the stuff labels like Ghostly International, Rune Grammofon and Bpitch Control are putting out. Really progressive stuff. It's far from dead. I think the mainstream hype just fizzled out. We haven't had a Fatboy Slim or a Chemical Brothers in a good long while. *EDIT*: Oh, also look at Motomichi. One of the most progressive, important artists right now. He wouldn't be a whole without his music.

8. keal

keal Senior member

I think 808 State is pretty much dormant.

electronic music is dead [​IMG]

I always thought 808 State was kind of on the ::yawn:: side. Majority of their songs, there's like a small section where it's good, then it wierds out. But when they have a great song, I get hypnotized. It's a strangely comforting feeling to nurture my passion for a group that I enjoy but don't like all of the time.

I think trance and dj culture pretty much homogenized techno. More like laid a thin, milky coating on top of the whole thing and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I also love metal, classical, jazz etc... anything except modern country and hawaiian music - but everything seems to dip into electronic in one way or another, and it brings me back to the pure stuff [​IMG]

I just got off my Lacuna Coil kick. And secretly I've been dipping into the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

My dark passion is an album by Tetsu Inoue and Taylor Deupree called Active/Freeze. It'll drive you nuts until about the tenth listen, then it's very relaxing [​IMG]

9. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I just picked up the new Ditty Bops album. Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

bob

10. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I always thought 808 State was kind of on the ::yawn:: side. Majority of their songs, there's like a small section where it's good, then it wierds out. But when they have a great song, I get hypnotized. It's a strangely comforting feeling to nurture my passion for a group that I enjoy but don't like all of the time.

I think trance and dj culture pretty much homogenized techno. More like laid a thin, milky coating on top of the whole thing and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I also love metal, classical, jazz etc... anything except modern country and hawaiian music - but everything seems to dip into electronic in one way or another, and it brings me back to the pure stuff [​IMG]

I just got off my Lacuna Coil kick. And secretly I've been dipping into the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

My dark passion is an album by Tetsu Inoue and Taylor Deupree called Active/Freeze. It'll drive you nuts until about the tenth listen, then it's very relaxing [​IMG]

Lacuna Coil's good, but I always was a bigger Theatre of Tragedy fan. And I did actually like Musique [​IMG]
    Liv Kristine has a very very nice voice (check out her first solo album).

As for the whole trance thing... you may be right. But I am mostly in to the side genres anyway so I don't know what the current state of those things is at the moment....

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Nah. Case in point: Tapes 'n Tapes, Clap Your Hands, Beirut, etc. Don't know what you're talking about.

Heh not at all. The NY bloggers were raving about those bands long before Pitchfork reviewed them. I read on several blogs about how great CYHSY is, and then a week or so later, P'fork reviews "In This Home On Ice"

If there is one thing truly annoying about P'fork, it's their bravado. Half of Ryan Schreiber's interviews are just him talking about himself.

12. Manny Calavera

Heh not at all. The NY bloggers were raving about those bands long before Pitchfork reviewed them. I read on several blogs about how great CYHSY is, and then a week or so later, P'fork reviews "In This Home On Ice"

If there is one thing truly annoying about P'fork, it's their bravado. Half of Ryan Schreiber's interviews are just him talking about himself.

I think we're saying the same thing, pretty much. Pitchfork swipes from the blogs and Pitchfork delivers it to the masses. I just don't have a problem with this as it sells records.

Yeah, and Ryan is full of himself. Pet Sounds review? "Blah blah I could see where someone could think this is the greatest albums ever. But not me".

That said, I'm glad Pitchfork is around so I can go to free shows and labels like Numero Group get some hype behind them.

That's all I'm going to say on that matters. Again, I can see where someone could not like Pitchfork, however the hype machine is definitely a necessary and totally intentional evil.

13. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Hmm... just checked out Pitchfork for the first time (seriously). Other than the more "famous" (ie commercial) names I don't really recognise many of the ones they review (not my scene it seems [​IMG] ). Then again, the last actual music magazine I bought was (unfortunately low circulation) Industrial Nation maybe 5 years ago, before they went through their temporary shutdown... Frankly I hear of a lot of my stuff from the two DJs at a club my wife and I frequent, things like Last.FM, online radio stations and the like. How long has Pitchfork been around? Has it really contributed to the success of any of those bands, and if so, is it really a force to be reckoned with nowadays?

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I think we're saying the same thing, pretty much. Pitchfork swipes from the blogs and Pitchfork delivers it to the masses. I just don't have a problem with this as it sells records.

Yeah, and Ryan is full of himself. Pet Sounds review? "Blah blah I could see where someone could think this is the greatest albums ever. But not me".

That said, I'm glad Pitchfork is around so I can go to free shows and labels like Numero Group get some hype behind them.

That's all I'm going to say on that matters. Again, I can see where someone could not like Pitchfork, however the hype machine is definitely a necessary and totally intentional evil.

Ahh yes, we completely agree. I went back and re-read your posts. I'm with you there.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

How long has Pitchfork been around? Has it really contributed to the success of any of those bands, and if so, is it really a force to be reckoned with nowadays?

At least 6 or 7 years, but I can't be sure exactly.

They definitely contribute to the success, if not create the success of many bands. Pitchfork pretty much created the Unicorns. They are a force to be reckoned with - many people, including my roommate and friends - read it religiously.