Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Apr 26, 2004.

1. tweedlesinpink

tweedlesinpink Senior member

Top 10 favorites, in no order:
    Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Pat Metheny
    Franz Ferdinand
    The Beatles
    Jamie Lidell
    Radiohead
    Bill Evans
    Jaco Pastorius
    Jimi Hendrix

Music I absolutely won't listen to:
    Metal, but i don't like to strike out any particular category. I never thought i'd get into any form of rock at all, but i've been enjoying broadening out my scope the past two years or so into electronic music and other things i wouldn't have touched in the past.

Guilty pleasure:
    Muzak--the easy bossa beats of Antonio Carlos Jobim, or the smooth jazz by all those terrible female jazz vocalists today. It's mind-numbingly inane, but it helps me when it's late at night and i've had a terrible day and all i need is something easy to listen to.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Today I discovered Jose Gonzalez (he had a track on the Ministry of Sound Chillout Sessions 2006). Really great acoustic artist, the song 'Heartbeats' is amazing.

3. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

In the car
    808 State

Which one are you listening to?

bob

4. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Anyone else heading to the Pitchfork Festival? I let my brother choose where he wanted to go (I'm accompanying him stateside...I'm not rich!) for his high school graduation present and he chose ChiTown and the Pitchfork Festival. Pfft...this will be the best present I've ever given. [​IMG]

5. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Just listened to Brahms 4, Bruno Walter/Columbia SO on Sony SACD.

A slice of heaven.

6. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

In the studio:

Secret Machines
    Eric Satie various remixes by modern artists
    Interpol

Various old stuff from the 80's i dig up like:
    Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark
    The Jam
    Police
    The Young Gods

7. minya

minya Senior member

Music I absolutely won't listen to: Metal, but i don't like to strike out any particular category. I never thought i'd get into any form of rock at all, but i've been enjoying broadening out my scope the past two years or so into electronic music and other things i wouldn't have touched in the past.
    I remember how I used to think exactly the same thing. Boy, how narrow-minded was I. Funny that some of the most creative, innovative, vital, and exciting experimental and avant-garde music of the past three or four years has been rooted in (or at least primarily inspired by) metal. I used to listen primarily to industrial and electronic music. Over the past couple of years I've branched out heavily into rock (indie, psychedelic, progressive, post-, stoner, noise-, etc.), and metal. I need to get into jazz.
    Anyone else heading to the Pitchfork Festival? I let my brother choose where he wanted to go (I'm accompanying him stateside...I'm not rich!) for his high school graduation present and he chose ChiTown and the Pitchfork Festival. Pfft...this will be the best present I've ever given. [​IMG]
    Ahh, Pitchfork! The conductor in the caboose of the hype-train. (I guess I'm an elitist)

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I made a thread here awhile ago about how I hate Pitchfork, and I got flamed. [​IMG]

9. keal

keal Senior member

Which one are you listening to? bob
    I have their Utd. State 90 album in my car right now, and I think I'm going to replace it with ex:el next week. Love to rotate their stuff [​IMG] I also pulled a few of my favorites from various singles, here's the five I listen to most: Azura (Mix by Dilinja) Cubik98 (Victor Calderone Remix) Cubik (Pan American Excursion) Lift (7" Mix) Ooops (Utsula Head Remix) That Azura remix is definitely my favorite. When that acid drum 'n bass kicks in at the 1:52 point, I get weak in the knees. I love how the song changes direction! Do you have a favorite song or album of theirs?

10. Manny Calavera

Ha! Um...welll...I like going to free shows and receiving press copies of albums, so that's all I'll say on the Pitchfork matter. [​IMG]

11. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I made a thread here awhile ago about how I hate Pitchfork, and I got flamed. [​IMG]
    I agree, members here on pitchfork staff notwithstanding.

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

That's a great song, originally by The Knife (of whom I believe LabelKing is a fan).

Gonzales also does vox on the new Zero 7 album, for all you Garden State fans out there.

Say of PF what you will, but their festival lineup is ridiculous. As many excuses as I want to make (festival sets are short and crappy, I hate paying a lot for bottled water, I like to think I hate pitchfork), I'm very jealous of my friends who are going. Those who went to Intonation last year say that Chicago does festivals exceedingly well.

Currently:

Decemberists live set from May 2005, 9:30 Club.

13. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Azura (Mix by Dilinja)
    Cubik98 (Victor Calderone Remix)
    Cubik (Pan American Excursion)
    Lift (7" Mix)
    Ooops (Utsula Head Remix)

That Azura remix is definitely my favorite.

Do you have a favorite song or album of theirs?

I used to be a HUGE 808state fan. I even had license plates that read "8080808".

Ex:el has always been my favorite. After that I was very pleasantly surprised by Outpost Transmission and have always had a place in my heart for a few tracks off Gorgeous (I know, I know, generally considered a very weak one). I love Time Bomb in particular.

As for mixes, yes, some of those mixes off Don Solaris are stunning. But I also really dig the mixes of 10X10.

bob

14. Manny Calavera

That's a great song, originally by The Knife (of whom I believe LabelKing is a fan).

Gonzales also does vox on the new Zero 7 album, for all you Garden State fans out there.

Say of PF what you will, but their festival lineup is ridiculous. As many excuses as I want to make (festival sets are short and crappy, I hate paying a lot for bottled water, I like to think I hate pitchfork), I'm very jealous of my friends who are going. Those who went to Intonation last year say that Chicago does festivals exceedingly well.

Currently:

Decemberists live set from May 2005, 9:30 Club.

I still find it amazing that artists like Jens Lekman, The Knife and Jose Gonzalez top the charts over yonder.

And for the 'fork haters: as a person in the industry, if a Pitchfork review can sell 30k more copies of a burgeoning bands records, then I'm all for it. All the Pitchfork news is swiped from the blog scene anyway. That's where all the hype starts for those in the know. Look at Beirut. Good, but definitely not the next NMH.

15. keal

keal Senior member

I used to be a HUGE 808state fan. I even had license plates that read "8080808".

Wow! Hahaha... I always liked the "8080808" title, and there was mass confusion when 808 State played a small night club here during their Utd. State 90 time. Since Hawaii's area code is 808, everyone, including me, thought they were island locals! I didn't get to see them perform at that time [​IMG]

Over the years I've tracked down most of the 808 State and Graham Massey CDs. I don't always listen to their stuff, but when I do, I binge [​IMG]