Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Apr 26, 2004.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

No no; I knew that, and intended my avatar to convey all the musical and cultural connotations that his homage implies. [​IMG]

Silent Shout is very good in its own right, but Deep Cuts is more listenable to my ears--I like my music accessible, for the most part. As far as albums I've really liked this year: Man Man, about half of the Jenny Lewis album, Eagles of Death Metal, and the new Morrissey. Looking forward to the new Phoenix.

Last ten:
    The Beatles - Norwegian Wood
    Clientele - I Can't Seem To Make You Mine
    Chicago Underground Duo - Falling Awake
    Ted Leo Rx - Come Baby Come
    Gogol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple
    Futureheads - Skip to the End (really good!)
    Cave In - Jupiter
    The Wrens - Safe and Comfortable
    Luna - Bewitched
    Tom Waits - Eggs and Sausage

2. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

Then they play a show in LA with LA rapper Subtitle opening for them, and during the last song while they do a drawn-out jamfest with a robotic santa clause, Subtitle starts free-styling over their beats, and thus, Th' Corn Gangg (I think thats how you spell it) is conceived. I was at that show. It was good times.

I was there too. That was a really fun show. I didnt like subtitle at the time, but I think his new album is amazing...

3. Garrett

Album of the year, already? [​IMG]

I do agree, Silent Shout is pretty killer, but Pink, IMO is the best of the best of the best. Although, technically I believe hte 2xLP was released in 2005 (and sold out almost instantly. I had my finger on the trigger and I dont think I've ever typed in my credit card info so fast).

To be honest I really haven't been paying enough attention to music so far this year. Im still stuck on Wolf Parade, which I have yet to get over.

Pink is an amazing album. That first song is just the perfect meeting of shoegaze and metal. Orgasmic. I think this is a sort of sound that we will be hearing a lot more of in the future (hopefully). Sure Isis is big into the shoegaze/metal thing, but they always seem to bore me (I actually like their older, more metal albums more...)...

Also, for anyone whose behind the curve here, I've also been listening to www.pandora.com nonstop lately. It's genious.

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I've been listening to a lot of:

Stars (all the albums are amazing)
    Fiona Apple (I may be late on this band wagon, but I just cant get over the beauty of her first 2 albums)
    The new Streets (not as good as the previous two, though)
    The new Mogwai
    Boris - Pink
    the new Appleseed Cast (this has really grown on me, I think I posted here that it wasn't as good as LLO, but I may have to take that back. It's really different, but really catchy and addictive)

Excellent taste.

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Pink is an amazing album. That first song is just the perfect meeting of shoegaze and metal. Orgasmic. I think this is a sort of sound that we will be hearing a lot more of in the future (hopefully). Sure Isis is big into the shoegaze/metal thing, but they always seem to bore me (I actually like their older, more metal albums more...)... Also, for anyone whose behind the curve here, I've also been listening to www.pandora.com nonstop lately. It's genious.
    Have you tried last.fm? Similar to Pandora but works off what other people who also listen to an artist listen to. SOmeone put together an ingenious script to pull Pandora data in to last.fm to get even better recommendations. http://www.real-ity.com/pandora/

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Also, for anyone whose behind the curve here, I've also been listening to www.pandora.com nonstop lately. It's genious.

How the hell did I miss this site? F*cking awesome. Thanks, Garrett.

7. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

No no; I knew that, and intended my avatar to convey all the musical and cultural connotations that his homage implies. [​IMG]

Silent Shout is very good in its own right, but Deep Cuts is more listenable to my ears--I like my music accessible, for the most part. As far as albums I've really liked this year: Man Man, about half of the Jenny Lewis album, Eagles of Death Metal, and the new Morrissey. Looking forward to the new Phoenix.

Last ten:
    The Beatles - Norwegian Wood
    Clientele - I Can't Seem To Make You Mine
    Chicago Underground Duo - Falling Awake
    Ted Leo Rx - Come Baby Come
    Gogol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple
    Futureheads - Skip to the End (really good!)
    Cave In - Jupiter
    The Wrens - Safe and Comfortable
    Luna - Bewitched
    Tom Waits - Eggs and Sausage

I've decided to wait until Six Demon Bag gets ripped to eMusic before purchasing it, and it's costing me dearly. I almost caved in yesterday, but here I am, $15 richer. Let's hope AceFu/eMusic get on the ball so I can get the album for $2. [​IMG]

Great to see the Boris love. I also think the shoegaze-metal sound is going to become more and more prevalent this year, and it's really exciting. I can't wait to see what the Sunn o)))/Boris collab sounds like. Also, not that this is really on topic, but if you guys like a more traditional shoegaze(ish) sound you should check out Belong's "October Language"; I think it came out in February? Maybe? Anyway, great album. Reminds me of something MBV would do if they were around at the moment. Only not as profound.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

Excellent choice, shoreman.

I have Miles Davis Kind of Blue in now.

9. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Also, not that this is really on topic, but if you guys like a more traditional shoegaze(ish) sound you should check out Belong's "October Language"; I think it came out in February? Maybe? Anyway, great album. Reminds me of something MBV would do if they were around at the moment. Only not as profound.

Sounds on topic to me! I'll go check out Belong right now.

Not coincidentally, currently listening to Loveless. Because it will never get old.

10. Manny Calavera

Sounds on topic to me! I'll go check out Belong right now. Not coincidentally, currently listening to Loveless. Because it will never get old.
    Indeed. Loveless is astounding. Also, I wanted to mention that I was veering off because I didn't want people thinking I lump everything into generi-shoegaze. [​IMG] Here's my obsession for the past two days: http://www.numerogroup.com/ I've gotten into the rare, retro-comps thanks to American Primitive II, and I've found that Numero is the master of this. If you like unheard, lost gems in a plethora of different genres check this label out. I want to see if it's not too late to get a subscription for this year (I have Cult Cargo and Yellow Pills, both from last year). *EDIT*: As I type I'm listening to Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" on iTunes. Yup.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I've seen all those bands as well, and I agree, Wolf Parade is the best live set. Although they don't play Grounds for Divorce live, I heard that some people in one of their earlier shows kept shouting for it and they got so annoyed that they refused to play it anymore.

12. Garrett

Not coincidentally, currently listening to Loveless. Because it will never get old.

amen

13. Manny Calavera

I've seen all those bands as well, and I agree, Wolf Parade is the best live set. Although they don't play Grounds for Divorce live, I heard that some people in one of their earlier shows kept shouting for it and they got so annoyed that they refused to play it anymore.
    Oh no! Bad luck on your part, as they definitely played it at the D.C. show. Best part is, they segued into "Modern World", and I actually thought that the keyboardist sang the song for some reason, so when the guitarist started immediately singing at the end of "Grounds for Divorce" (like, three beats after the keyboardist sang his last note) it blew my mind. My brother and I just looked at each other and smiled. [​IMG] By the way, I still can't figure out which one is supposedly from Arcade Fire. None of the names match up.

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Oh no! Bad luck on your part, as they definitely played it at the D.C. show. Best part is, they segued into "Modern World", and I actually thought that the keyboardist sang the song for some reason, so when the guitarist started immediately singing at the end of "Grounds for Divorce" (like, three beats after the keyboardist sang his last note) it blew my mind. My brother and I just looked at each other and smiled. [​IMG]

By the way, I still can't figure out which one is supposedly from Arcade Fire. None of the names match up.

I never heard that any of them are from Arcade Fire... Arcade Fire is from Washington, no? Not from Canada.

It's cool the set they played for us was still awesome. It was incredibly long. They played the full "Dinner Bells" and a three-song encore.

Though still, I think I was more impressed with Animal Collective's (almost) 2 hour set they played here recently. I was almost pleased to see all the little scene brats get pissed because they only played 1 or 2 songs from Feels, the rest being new stuff. Though they did play We Tigers, and it was zomfg awesome.

15. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

I never heard that any of them are from Arcade Fire... Arcade Fire is from Washington, no? Not from Canada.

The Arcade Fire reside in Montreal, Quebec

o_O