Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Apr 26, 2004.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

[​IMG]

This will date me, but I'll throw out some stuff I listened to in art school, now that I'm going back and retrieving it digitally.

Sonic Youth
    Banshees
    Psychadelic furs
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Nick Cave
    The Gun Club
    OMD
    Joy Division
    New Order
    Einsturzende Neubauten
    Brian Eno

Anymore its alot of trip hop comin' out of my studio and a small but vital collection of Delta Blues.

And for the record, no Cyndi Lauper!

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

This will date me, but I'll throw out some stuff I listened to in art school, now that I'm going back and retrieving it digitally.

Sonic Youth
    Banshees
    Psychadelic furs
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Nick Cave
    The Gun Club
    OMD
    Joy Division
    New Order
    Einsturzende Neubauten
    Brian Eno

Anymore its alot of trip hop comin' out of my studio and a small but vital collection of Delta Blues.

And for the record, no Cyndi Lauper!

Wow, all those bads are great! Good taste!

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I'd like to go Islands, but I can't do too many weeknight concerts (unless there's only one opener). The next Black Cat show I'm hitting will probably be the Michael Showalter/Eugene Mirman thing, which should be interesting -- or Pinback, I dunno. The Wolfmother and Spinto Band/Dr. Dog shows are also intriguing.

I might pick up the Band of Horses stuff. I got the My Morning Jacket impression, too, and they're a favorite of mine. Z has really grown on me, though I wasn't too excited when I first heard it.

Using the sounds like approach, Wolfmother have a White Stripes/Sabbath thing going on, as most reviews will tell you. Not as bluesy as the former, with the keyboard angle of 70s stoner metal bands. I don't have the whole album yet.

4. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

I'd like to go Islands, but I can't do too many weeknight concerts (unless there's only one opener). The next Black Cat show I'm hitting will probably be the Michael Showalter/Eugene Mirman thing, which should be interesting -- or Pinback, I dunno. The Wolfmother and Spinto Band/Dr. Dog shows are also intriguing.

I might pick up the Band of Horses stuff. I got the My Morning Jacket impression, too, and they're a favorite of mine. Z has really grown on me, though I wasn't too excited when I first heard it.

Using the sounds like approach, Wolfmother have a White Stripes/Sabbath thing going on, as most reviews will tell you. Not as bluesy as the former, with the keyboard angle of 70s stoner metal bands. I don't have the whole album yet.

Yeah, I'm in a bit of a pickle myself with the Islands show because the headlight on my car is shot and I don't know if can get an appointment in time or not. Drinking and driving without a headlight is bad, folks. I'm really anxious for the show though as I'd say the Islands' album rivals The Unicorns' album. And "Rough Gem" is the single of the year thus far. Definitely get Band of Horses, it's fantastic.

5. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm in a bit of a pickle myself with the Islands show because the headlight on my car is shot and I don't know if can get an appointment in time or not. Drinking and driving without a headlight is bad, folks. I'm really anxious for the show though as I'd say the Islands' album rivals The Unicorns' album. And "Rough Gem" is the single of the year thus far. Definitely get Band of Horses, it's fantastic.

do you really think the islands compares? I have only listened to it about 3 times, but it doesn't really strike me as anything to great.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

do you really think the islands compares? I have only listened to it about 3 times, but it doesn't really strike me as anything to great.

I'm with Garrett. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong things, but Islands reminds me of the bad parts about the 2012 EP.

VMan, my friend played saxophone, I've known him since I was like 11 years old. He played in the band for their last album (with the blue blurry cover, I forgot the name). I don't think he tours with the band, but I'm pretty sure he either lives with them or hangs out with them a lot.

7. Manny Calavera

I think they compare as long as you don't compare.

8. Garrett

I think they compare as long as you don't compare.

I get your point here. They are meant to be taken as totally different pieces of work, essentially from different artists. But the thing that I always dug about the unicorns was their quirky catchiness. Islands is neither quirky or catchy in my mind. Dont get me wrong, there are some good songs on the album, but it lacks cohesion and consistancy. I feel like it's going to just be one of those albums I pop in to listen to 3 or 4 specific tracks then move on. Too bad really, I had high hopes.

9. Garrett

I've been listening to a lot of:

Stars (all the albums are amazing)
    Fiona Apple (I may be late on this band wagon, but I just cant get over the beauty of her first 2 albums)
    The new Streets (not as good as the previous two, though)
    The new Mogwai
    Boris - Pink
    the new Appleseed Cast (this has really grown on me, I think I posted here that it wasn't as good as LLO, but I may have to take that back. It's really different, but really catchy and addictive)

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I get your point here. They are meant to be taken as totally different pieces of work, essentially from different artists. But the thing that I always dug about the unicorns was their quirky catchiness. Islands is neither quirky or catchy in my mind. Dont get me wrong, there are some good songs on the album, but it lacks cohesion and consistancy. I feel like it's going to just be one of those albums I pop in to listen to 3 or 4 specific tracks then move on. Too bad really, I had high hopes.

To be honest, I didn't have high hopes. If you look at what the Unicorns were, they had these really slow semi-catchy pop songs that they had for a couple years. Then they get signed to Alien8 to release an album that was taken with a new producer with fresh ears, who turned the lethargic bore-athons into incredibly fun, quirky and creative pop songs. I give the Unicorns credit for the songs but I dont think they would be anywhere near what they are if they didn't have some fresh back-up behind them. They were just a "play for friends" band, and they admit to that. The result on their album is a kind of Deerhoof but with more of a Brian Wilson influence - established pop song structures and rhythms.

Then Unicorns gets an EP and they go back to randomly-layered songs that switch in and out of tempo and just kind of suck in general. Then they play a show in LA with LA rapper Subtitle opening for them, and during the last song while they do a drawn-out jamfest with a robotic santa clause, Subtitle starts free-styling over their beats, and thus, Th' Corn Gangg (I think thats how you spell it) is conceived. I was at that show. It was good times.

Anyway, so now, the band, who has been known to get a lot of negative attitude towards each other (as most bands who blow up from nothing do), and so the band splits here and there, 2/3 once forming Th' Corn Gangg, and then 1+1/3 forming Islands.

At this point, I was expecting (but hoping against) the same bore-athons mentioned earlier. I'm probably biased in this. I think they call it a self-affirming prophecy, where since I'm expecting a negative result, I take something that may or may not be perceived as negative and immediately equate it with my original negative prediction.

In either case, I'm not digging Islands all that much, so far. But it may take a few listens to appreciate, and of course I'm always willing to give an album 5+ before I call it bad stuff.

11. Manny Calavera

I've been listening to a lot of:

Stars (all the albums are amazing)
    Fiona Apple (I may be late on this band wagon, but I just cant get over the beauty of her first 2 albums)
    The new Streets (not as good as the previous two, though)
    The new Mogwai
    Boris - Pink
    the new Appleseed Cast (this has really grown on me, I think I posted here that it wasn't as good as LLO, but I may have to take that back. It's really different, but really catchy and addictive)

Hmm...shame that you and BrianSD aren't digging the Islands. I too don't think it's really cohesive, but rather a bunch of pop experiments. But I like it, what can I say? I really hate The Streets newest. It's the same grime, except the charm of Mike Skinner is his observationalist slant. This album is really inverted and it just isn't him. I don't like it because he isn't trying to do anything different, as to where I have to give the Islands the benefit of the doubt because it's a completely different beast. So yeah, different strokes for different folks.

Also: isn't "Pink" an amazing, amazing album? It's like this beautiful shoegaze/metal/industrial/drone/sex almagalm. In my mind, it's tied with The Knife's "Silent Shout" for album of the year at the moment.

As a sidenote, has anyone heard a bootleg version of Danielson's "Ships" yet? I'm just curious, as I've heard mumblings that he's finally lived up to his output on Sufjan's albums, so I'm actually really excited about it.

Good to see a lot of fantastic taste here. [​IMG]

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

This will date me, but I'll throw out some stuff I listened to in art school, now that I'm going back and retrieving it digitally. Sonic Youth Banshees Psychadelic furs Echo and the Bunnymen Nick Cave The Gun Club OMD Joy Division New Order Einsturzende Neubauten Brian Eno Anymore its alot of trip hop comin' out of my studio and a small but vital collection of Delta Blues. And for the record, no Cyndi Lauper!
    :thumbs: on EN and Nick Cave. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Blixa Bargeld is involved with both [​IMG] P.s. anyone who likes more complex electronic stuff with trip-hop tinge (without a direct connection to the Bristol sound, nonetheless), check out Collide ( http://www.collide.net ). This LA duo has been hammerring it out on their own for a few years now, their sound getting more of a trip-hop/post-EBM/electro sound (used to be more layered and noisier - which I liked). Their current album is still VERY good, very nice female vocals and good use of electronics. A cut above most of the ilk. Btw, the fact that they appear in goth scene magazines has more to do with the fact that they have been involved with several old masters in the post-industrial/EBM scene like cEvin Key, not their sound. I actually find it demeaning to compare them with "goth" (even older stuff including Siouxsie & the Banshees or Sisters of Mercy). They are also very nice people [​IMG] P.s. 2 Sorry if I offended any goths (or ex-goths) wrt above statement. Maybe because I never really had an affinity for the crap that came with the scene; rivetheads always seemed a little more down-to-earth (or should I say, above the earth? TEE HEE!!!!!!!). And I frequent places that have "goth" individuals and I make fun of my wife's old goth compilations [​IMG]

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Album of the year, already? [​IMG] I do agree, Silent Shout is pretty killer, but Pink, IMO is the best of the best of the best. Although, technically I believe hte 2xLP was released in 2005 (and sold out almost instantly. I had my finger on the trigger and I dont think I've ever typed in my credit card info so fast). To be honest I really haven't been paying enough attention to music so far this year. Im still stuck on Wolf Parade, which I have yet to get over.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I seem to be the first person to note the cover of Morrissey's Ringleader is an allusion to the Deutsch Grammophon logo and him likely portraying Herbert von Karajan.

15. Manny Calavera

Album of the year, already? [​IMG]

I do agree, Silent Shout is pretty killer, but Pink, IMO is the best of the best of the best. Although, technically I believe hte 2xLP was released in 2005 (and sold out almost instantly. I had my finger on the trigger and I dont think I've ever typed in my credit card info so fast).

To be honest I really haven't been paying enough attention to music so far this year. Im still stuck on Wolf Parade, which I have yet to get over.

Yeah, I missed the vinyl but got the CD. I'm curious as to what the Southern Lord rip sounds like in comparison. Have they released it stateside yet? I'm just considering it a 2006 release because...why not? [​IMG]

They're on tour now, so if you have the chance to, go see Wolf Parade live. Such a helter-skelter, high intensity show. Probably the best show I've seen this year (and I've seen Deerhoof, Clap Your Hands, The Go! Team and more).