1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

My recent listenings have been very dude-heavy. Anyone have any female-fronted outfits to recommend?

From seeing what bands you listen to, these are my chick picks:

I think you'd like Sahara Hotnights from Sweden. All chick punkish rocknroll...really f'ing great band. Start with "Jenny Bomb" then get "Kiss and Tell". They are working on the next album right now.

Also look into the Detroit Cobras. They only do covers of obscure 50s/60s soul/R&B songs rocknroll style. Singer has a great throaty voice and you can't go wrong with any record.

For something harder/more punk, Deadline from UK is an awesome band. The singer can actually sing, not just scream. Like Vice Squad but with better musicians and songs.

*btw, all those bands are on myspace to check out

2. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Just got two great records that slipped under my radar when first released (in all fairness, they came out in March and April, respectively, so I didn't miss the boat or anything): Gregor Samsa's "55:12". Amazing shoegaze(ish) post-rock with oodles of melody. Apparently the band is Richmond-based so I'm definitely hunting them down. The other records is "Diadem of 12 Stars" from Wolves In the Throne Room. Death metal by way of freak folk. Good stuff.

Got lots of records recently (Herbert, Evangelicals, El Perro del Mar, etc.), and while those two might not be the best, they definitely stand out as something new and wonderful.

And shoreman: check out El Perro del Mar. As "female" as it gets.

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

Speaking of shoegazers... I just picked up the 180g vinyl of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless during my lunch break. A "deaf" buy for me. Can't wait to give it a spin when I get home.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Speaking of shoegazers... I just picked up the 180g vinyl of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless during my lunch break. A "deaf" buy for me. Can't wait to give it a spin when I get home.

Wow... I had that years ago.. ended up selling it as I never listened to it.

5. sonick

sonick Senior member

Wow... I had that years ago.. ended up selling it as I never listened to it.
    Yeah I know, I'm about a decade and a half late.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Yeah I know, I'm about a decade and a half late.
    I did not mean to be insulting [​IMG] - I had forgotten all about it I literally would just start listening to the CD and lose interest...

7. sonick

sonick Senior member

Hah no biggie, there should be a [​IMG] at the end of that post.

8. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Been on a clash kick lately and I just think that this should be someone else's sig.

Working for a rise, better my station, Take my baby to sophistication

Also: 3rd eye blind. One really great album.

9. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Has anyone else here picked up the new Zero 7 album, The Garden? It's been on heavy rotation for me in the past couple days.

While I don't think it's as good as either of their previous two, Simple Things and When it Falls, - I also love their "this is who we think are cool" album, Another Late Night - it's a pretty good album. There are a few really catchy tunes on it.

10. flashback

flashback Senior member

Top _ favorite bands:
    New Order
    Bauhaus
    Deadsy
    Durutti Column
    Eno
    Echo
    Bowie
    Elton John
    Rod Stewart
    John Martyn
    ...and many more

Music I absolutely won't listen to:
    Country, rap, whine rock

Favorite Punk album:
    The Bouncing Souls - the good, the bad, and the argyle

Favorite Hip-Hop album:
    nas - illmatic

Favorite Electronic album:
    Idol Tryouts 2

Favorite Pop album:
    Roxette - Look Sharp!

Best Dance Party album:
    Best of New Order

Most overrated band:
    The Beatles, Radiohead

Guilty pleasure:
    I don't believe in "guilty pleasures" but I will say the Bee Gees

Favorite New Bands
    White Rose Movement
    Radio 4
    outputmessage
    kill memory crash
    editors
    mobius band

11. phaedrus

phaedrus Senior member

People currently down under in Oz-land: i've just heard the Cat Empire play live here in Singapore, they groove so hard it's funky. Melbournians, apparently. Very tight ensemble playing and they sure know how to set a crowd on fire.

I am a fan of the Cat Empire, saw them on their last national tour in 05, one of the best concerts I have ever attended. They are fantastic live, big band, energetic and get the crowd dancing all the way through.
    They've released a "cities" album a great collection of tracks, have a listen if you can.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG] Don't you just love the name? It's like Dario Argento. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Depeche Mode - Policy of Truth
    The The - This Is the Day (makes me want to wear Dockers)
    High Dials - Our Time Is Coming Soon
    Cap'n Jazz - Oh Messy Life
    Of Montreal - Starry Night
    Tortoise - Speakeasy
    Les Savy Fav - The Slip
    Lifetime - Bobby Truck Tricks
    Sergio Mendes - Mas Que Nada
    Walkmen - Tenleytown

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

Excellent taste, my friend. I have been a Bauhaus fanatic since I was 13.

Now listening to the Pain Teens - Beast of Dreams

15. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

does anyone have knowledge of a couple groups called Isan and Gravenhurst? I saw them mentioned in the wikipedia article on Four Tet, just wondered what they're like. s'posed to be similar to Four Tet's 'folktronica' sound.

16. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

does anyone have knowledge of a couple groups called Isan and Gravenhurst? I saw them mentioned in the wikipedia article on Four Tet, just wondered what they're like. s'posed to be similar to Four Tet's 'folktronica' sound.

No but sounds interesting. Check Pandora or Last.fm

17. VMan

VMan Senior member

Excellent taste, my friend. I have been a Bauhaus fanatic since I was 13.

Bauhaus is playing a show tonight in my city. Unfortunately they are only one of the opening bands, and all my friends who are going to the headliner (Nine Inch Nails) haven't even heard of Bauhaus before.

I wish I was going, I'd catch Bauhaus and Peaches (the other opener) and walk out of NIN.

18. javyn

javyn Senior member

Call me crazy...but I do believe Bauhaus broke up back in 83. Is this a reunion deal or some such?

19. VMan

VMan Senior member

Call me crazy...but I do believe Bauhaus broke up back in 83. Is this a reunion deal or some such?

Yep, reunion. They also have at least two brand new songs, though I haven't heard them.

20. javyn

javyn Senior member

Wow thanks for the heads up, I gotta check this out. Haven't been this excited since the Peel Sessions were released