Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Apr 26, 2004.

1. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain. One of my favorites.

2. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

Forgot to mention Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles. Live.

Recorded live from Diamond Head January 0, 1972. Amazing.

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Since Seal's new love tryst, I have decided his music is not so bad.....booo.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

this weeks list:

Kaiser Chiefs - employment
    Bloc Party - debut full length (forgot title)
    The Briefs - homemade mix
    The Jam - live @ Wembly
    Legion of St George - In Defense of Realm
    Champion - promises kept

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Going to try to not sound like a know-it-all here, just offering up some advice if you're interested:

The new Spoon is just radcore. It's coming out sometime this year soon, although I forgot when. It's kind of throwback - they are more influenced by the Velvet Underground on Gimme Fiction than any other album, and they brought back the creativity and feel of the *amazing* rock hooks on their 1998 "Series of Sneaks." I highly recommend this album. I've got to listen to it more before I decide if it's a 10/10 to me.

The new Daft Punk is eh... I read some reviews that say that it's really great, but I think it's a bit below that. They sort of lost the Daft Punk feel, and it ends up being a bit... contemptuous? As impossible as it seems for DP to sound anything like contemptuous.. they really do. Most of the songs are pretty under developed, and the production is very raw and minimal. However, there are some sweet songs on there, including the opener/title track, "Human After All."

M.I.A. is getting so much hype, and deservedly so. Her stuff is creative and fun. Her attitude, voice and lyrical flow are endearing, and will get you moving quick, too. You need to listen to this if you are into the music scene, because virtually everyone has something to say about her (but mostly you should just listen because it's a totally new thing, and it's great).

Dead Meadow - Feathers is their like 8th album or something - its pretty catchy considering its psychadelic rock. I'm a big fan of psych so it hits home for me.

OutHud is cool. It's kind of coming in at the backlash of the dance-punk scene; everyone's saying it's dead (and it is) but the bands that lasted through all the critics and hipsters thrashing at the scene are starting to shine through.. Out Hud is definitely one of them.

The Evens debut LP is featuring two people - Ian McKaye (Fugazi), and some girl, Eva somethingorother, and the songs are all stripped down guitar/bass/drums pop songs with the both of them singing on them. Not up to Fugazi level but worth listening to.

I've been listening a lot to M. Ward's new one.. it's definitely something that most people will appreciate, but those that fit into the niche will love it. He's an amazing songwriter, and not one of those types that purposefully writes abstract lyrics just to sound arty - his songs are accessible to everyone and romantic at times, while always being incredibly accurate.

The Robot Ate Me is lo-fi pop, I'm still listening to it little by little, but I definitely like most of what I've heard.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I can't stop listening to Kaiser Chiefs. I really wish I had gone to see them the other week.

If anyone is hurting for new music to listen to, tune in to KEXP.org - they have streaming audio and a real-time playlist. This is just about all I ever listen to on the radio anymore (it's local).

8. Roy

Roy Senior member

the Doors - Best of the Doors.

Gotta love 'em.

9. Horace

Horace Senior member

Stooge's Fun House.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

saw them a couple weeks ago and it was a GREAT show. singer had an ankle cast and still managed to jump around at every moment, climb the rafters about 10' above the crowd, and overall play a phenomenal set.

listening to: The Bravery - s/t

didnt think i'd like this too much but it's really catchy good. very New Order+Cure+Duran Duran retro 80s sound. my eyes think they are douchebags but my ears think it's a solid record worth the $6.99 at best buy. i'm a sucker for 80s retro sounds since that is the era i grew up in.

11. VMan

VMan Senior member

Going to see The Shins tomorrow, I can't wait.

Yesterday I was listening to Pink Floyd's 'The Wall', Air - Moon Safari and Premiers Symptomes, a lot of Lennon...just a great experience...

I highly recommend downloading the video of Dave Matthews playing 'In My Life' as part of a John Lennon tribute special. Just amazing.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

V-Man, Moon Safari is an instant classic. I love "New Star in the Sky." Feels like that album is way older than it is.

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

My favorite track on that CD is Le Voyage de Penelope, but New Star in the Sky is making it's way up. I love listening to the tracks you normally skip over for some reason, and discovering how great they really are.

Talisman is another great track on that album.

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

A couple nights ago I loaded every mp3 in the whole house (4 computers) into one playlist and put it on shuffle... a very eclectic mix. Assuming I listen to it 24/7, it should start to repeat in approximately 47 days. [​IMG] I love Air. I saw them and it was a really amazing show. Surprisingly, though their music is often in the "mood" category, they cranked the bass. It was almost danceable at times. Listening to Moon Safari right now, and trying to decide whether I should be lusting after a Rhodes or a Wurli. Any opinions? I will probably be picking one of the two up after Japan.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Hmm. Rhodes is the more common of the two, but for a good reason, IMO. I would get a Rhodes, first. You can get a wurli later.