• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music to work too

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any good music that they enjoy doing work too? I really like writing while I'm listening to this CD by yo-yo MA:
http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Yo-Yo-Ma/...e=UTF8&s=music

I'm going to be buying some more CDs soon, so any recommendations people could make would be appreciated. Thanks,
Grad.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like some electronic/ambient/IDM-type selections.

Air makes for good music to listen to while you work or study.

Acoustic folk music also works for me. Iron & Wine, Elliot Smith, etc.

Sigur Ros as well.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im gonna agree with you on the ambient, I like ambient trance like Aphex Twin. Or Ill go straight trance with DJ Doboy or Jungle with Diesel Boy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I tend to play stuff that doesn't change too much in volume, etc. throughout the song.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Wilco) is my all-time best at-work album. It usually garners a few compliments too, such as, "Holy **** Brian, this is the first time you've ever listened to something that doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard" (I do listen to Arab on Radar sometimes on the job) Have to consider that other people can hear it, so this is a rarity.

It's funny how vehement I can be about my musical opinions, yet people still don't like (wtf?) the stuff I'm playing. Even stuff like Asobi Seksu which I feel like *everyone* should like. But then again my co-workers all listen to Thrice and ****.. so..

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put a playlist together on iTunes called "Mellowriffic" which I usually work/study to. A sampling:

Green Onions - Booker T and the MG's (helps you get into the groove)
The Girl From Back Then - Kings of Convenience
Brothers on a Hotel Bed - Death Cab for Cutie
16, Maybe Less - Iron & Wine and Calexico
Walking Out of Stride - Badly Drawn Boy
To Meet You - Teitur
Try - Sidsel Endresen & Bugge Wesseltoft
Hello City - Bare Naked Ladies
Take Off Your Cool - Andre 3000
In Space - Royskopp
Thug Style - September Sessions Band
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
Forbidden Colors - Ryuichi Sakamoto
SpottieOttieDopalicious - Outkast
Floating - Sun Kil Moon
Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez
etc.

I would also recommend Joao Gilberto "Live in Montreux." I could never just listen to it but as background it's excellent.

A.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instrumental of course.
Satie and Chopin mainly, and a wide range of chamber stuff

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I normally study/work to several days-worth of assorted classical music. It serves as a way to get me focused on what I have to do as it tends not to distract me as much as music with singing (choral pieces exempt). I also use it as a mnemonic device for exams: I only study while listening and then listen to a piece before an exam or remember one during it.

Confessions of a former psych major.

Reaction score
i have been listening to Brian Eno's Music for Airports and Discreet Music nearly every day for about three years at this job.

i occasionally put on the Conet Project box set.

but that's about it.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaron, solid mix. I listen to classical occasionally, but most classical I have is so quiet/loud, it gets lost on the low volume I use at work. Brian's advice is good--boring music gets the job done
smile.gif

M83, Four Tet, Thievery Corp/ESL, Beck's Sea Change, Kings of Convenience/Erlend Oye, Stereolab, St. Germain, the Books (sometimes distracting), Boards of Canada, Tortoise/Thrill Jockey stuff, etc. Pavement's Wowee Zowee, also.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Live music. Actually, anything with applause. Lots of applause. If I could play 8 hours of applause I would take it in a heartbeat.

Not only does it help my mood, but when others come in, it gets the confrontation off on a good foot. I tried Fanfare for the Common Man, but that takes too long to build up.

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
I like some electronic/ambient/IDM-type selections.

Air makes for good music to listen to while you work or study.

Acoustic folk music also works for me. Iron & Wine, Elliot Smith, etc.

Sigur Ros as well.

Is it just me , or does Sigur Ros make you feel emotionally high, almost to the point of tearing up?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I need to do a lot of work in a short time:

Zorn's Igneous Ejaculation and Blood Duster looped on itunes

with a quintuplet espresso for good measure.
eek.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads