• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music recommendations

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to branch my musical tastes outward, but its hard when I don't know too many artists in the genres i'm starting to like. Can someone please recommend some:

- Jazz pianists
- Violinists
- Any good relaxing instrumental music...not elevator jazz or anything, but something cool and contemporary
- Any other 'different' artists you like, that you would wish to share.

Thank you.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my favorite pianist is thelonius monk. he was a genius.

others:
dave brubeck
keith jarrett - brilliant improvisationist
herbie hancock
the list goes on...just follow the trail of recommendations at amazon, listen to some clips.

violin:
stefan grapelli (sp?) is one of the most popular jazz violinists.

here's a few modern bands that play instrumental stuff that's great for just vegging:
tortoise
do make say think
explosions in the sky
four tet
brokeback
godspeed you black emperor
sigur ros (has vocals but you can't understand them)
rachel's <- particularly recommended by me. give them a listen at amazon.

/andrew - knows that words get in the way, sometimes

PeterMetro

Reaction score
my favorite pianist is thelonius monk. he was a genius. others: dave brubeck keith jarrett - brilliant improvisationist herbie hancock the list goes on...
He was indeed. Nobody can argue with this list. I will say that many of these artists had very different sounds throughout their careers, so I'm going to recommend specific albums. Thelonius Monk - Brilliant Corners. You could also pick up some of his compilations, but this album is widely considered a masterpiece. Dave Brubeck - Time Out. Another masterpiece; you'll recognize some of the tracks from commercials and whatnot. When you get it, pay attention to the meter. Some tracks are played in 5/4, some in 9/8 (I think). It's amazing how smooth it sounds, even with the strange meter. Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off. As a huge funk fan, it's difficult for me not to recommend some of his albums in the 70s, but this one is more in line with what I think you're looking for. With Freddie Hubbard on trumpet and Dexter Gordon on tenor, it's hard to go wrong. Caution - stay away from anything after 1980. Personally, I think Herbie's best work was with Miles, so... Miles Davis - Miles Smiles. Herbie's just great on this album. However, Miles's earlier quintet had some great piano work too, so... Miles Davis - Relaxin' (Steamin', Workin', Cookin&#39
wink.gif
with the Miles Davis Quintet. It's amazing how consistently good these four albums are. Red Garland is great and on tenor, the immortal John Coltrane. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. Had to mention it. Bill Evans - Tony Bennet Bill Evans Album. Bill Evans was a herion addict, a wife beater, and one of the most hauntingly beautiful pianists of our time. Coupled with Bennet, this album is silk. Art Tatum - 20th Century Piano Genius. A true virtuoso. Every time I listen to Art Tatum, I get the distinct feeling that he's ******* with me. He works melodies into songs you'd never think possible; he plays runs that you swear he'd have to cross his hands for. He was inventive, joyous and funny. OK, I'm done.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
- Any good relaxing instrumental music...not elevator jazz or anything, but something cool and contemporary
I'll second Faustian's recommendations (minus godspeed) and add a couple:
Blockhead
DJ Signify

Brian SD

Reaction score
VersaceMan, instrumental music: The Soft Machine - late 60s spacy psych-jazz. It has vocals, but it's VERY ahead of it's time. I mean VERY. Manitoba - one of my favorite bands. Up In Flames is unassailably awesome. It's upbeat, but definitely cool. Mogwai - inventors / gods of post-rock. Very emotionally arranged instrumentals. Minimal vocals. Very relaxing. Bardo Pond, Max Richter, Rachel's - other post rockers. Great bands. My Bloody Valentine - Inventors / gods of shoegaze. People started calling it shoegaze because guitarists for said genre would be using so many effect pedals they would practically be staring at their feet, messing with the effects. Subdued vocals on this one. * Kevin Shields, songwriter / singer of MBV arranged and wrote most of the Lost in Translation OST. Other shoegaze - M83, On.Air.Library. Four Tet - laid back, slightly jazzy electronic. Ulrich Schnauss - On the same label as Manitoba (DOMINO). Loud, relaxing electronic. Very downtempo, and very beautiful. Since you sound like you are looking for some relaxing music, I'll give you a nice list you can start hacking away at and find what you like. The Microphones - Experimental Lo-Fi Folk, very soothing, catchy, ambiguous pop music. Most songs are generally about being happy. Phil Elverum, singer/songwriter (it's a one-man band but other artists guest on nearly every song) is a genius. He is also the drummer for Old Time Relijun, a band which shares nearly no aspects with the Mics. I recommend Mt. Eerie, and The Blow, pt. 2. Mirah - Woman singer/songwriter who guests on most Microphones songs. Beautiful airy voice. If you are into this stuff, check out Liz Janes , Keren Ann and Cat Power as well. Brian Eno - specifically Another Green World. Very relaxing, full, ambient music recorded in the 70s. William Basinski - The Desintegration Loops I-IV. This guy made tapes of ambient noise loops in the 80s, and started putting them together on CDs at the same time that 9/11 occurred. He noticed his loops started to slowly die and deteriorate, and these albums are a beautiful metaphor for human life and the earth. You MUST listen to this, even if only once. Download it and listen to it. He is so undercredited for these albums. Cyann & Ben - folk group that is on the same label (GOOOM) as M83. Awesome stuff. Panda Bear - Young Prayer. Only if you're feeling adventurous and open minded should you listen to this. It's incredible, but you have to have an open mind to accept it. It's not as accessible as the other bands I've listed. If you want more, I would be more than happy to list you out great bands for you. You can even specify exactly what you want and I bet I can find you it. Say you want, "Really raunchy lo-fi punk, but slower paced, with more space in between instruments, preferrably from the 80s... and uh.. with a beat I can dance to." I'll hook you up.
wink.gif

pilgrim

Reaction score
Hey, great to see that some people are listening to good stuff. Mogwai, Explosions, Four Tet, Do Make Say Think; yowzers a good selection.

My Recommendations:

The Soft Boys
Neu.
De La Soul
Modest Mouse
Quickspace
Stereolab
Fridge
Boards Of Canada
Plaid
Aphex Twin
Felix Da Housecat
Joy Division
Lazyboy
Lemon Jelly
Monster Magnet
Gong
My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive
late Radiohead
Alfie
Belle and Sebastian
The Go. Team
Scratch Perverts
The Plump DJ's
Soulwax AND 2ManyDJ's
Laika
Kings of Convenience
Tindersticks
DJ Yoda
Folk Implosion
Hood
The Kills
and finally Syd Barrett.

If your going to have a party, I strongly recommended 2ManyDJ's - As Heard On Radio Soulwax (Part Two). It is a classic.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the recs, guys. I should have followed up my original post sooner, but I checked out many of the artists you all suggested, and most of 'em I like. Found a few new favorite artists thru this thread.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jazz pianists: Oscar Peterson, Oscar Levant, Art Tatum, Bill Evans, Jelly Roll Morton, Thelonius Monk

violinists: Grapelli (for jazz..he's amazing)
classical: Heifetz, Milstein, Kogan, Oistrakh, Rabin (oldies)
Josefewicz, Hahn, Shaham, Vengerov (new guys)
And if you want something truly 'different', check out Mr. Bungle.

koji

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classical violinists Would also suggest: Renaud Capucon--who, with his brother on cello, have made some outstanding recordings. Â Joshua Bell--plays with a nod to an older school of expression. Â Bell is one violinist who plays perfectly in tune. Â His playing is so clear. Go rent the DVD to "The Red Violin".

Eric

Reaction score
Spiritualized
Radiohead (Kid A)
Sigur Ros
Elliot Smith
Nick Drake

Eric

Nonk

Reaction score
For something beautiful and mellow try Morcheeba.

Try Birkenhead's finest "Half Man Half Biscuit" for something unusual, their output it is like a musical version of the Simpsons, packed with sometimes obscure cultural references which it is quite fun to spot. (The British members would find this more accessible, they cover everything from Trumpton and Kendo Nagasaki to Lev Yashin and CAMRA)

For something thought provoking try Roger Waters, especially "Amused to Death."

PHV

Reaction score
Classical violinists Would also suggest: Renaud Capucon--who, with his brother on cello, have made some outstanding recordings. Â Joshua Bell--plays with a nod to an older school of expression. Â Bell is one violinist who plays perfectly in tune. Â His playing is so clear. Go rent the DVD to "The Red Violin".
Joshua Bell plays like a girl. Also, just about every major concert violinist plays very well in tune, and on recordings nowadays, poor intonation just doesn't happen.

mnemonic

Reaction score
jazz piano: mingus

nice call on the brian eno, brianSD

relaxing contemporary: mum, sigur ros, mogwai, aphex twin's selected ambient works volume 2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads