1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Music rant

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by countdemoney, May 6, 2006.

1. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I heard two bands last night. The first was one of these faux metal acts. Maybe it's just that I'm older, but the new goth or angst metal, or whatever all these metallica, limp bizkit, nickelback, staind wannabes are playing is just so mindless and empty to me. They act all tough and angry but its really restlessness, and to me, lacking in passion. It's the new hair metal, complete with prancing cinderellas in their lame tats and goatees. Lemmings of Glory, redolent in their unwashed, OC Chopper garb.

And then a three man punk band started up. They rocked the house. I asked if they did a Janie Jones cover, because they were good enough that they could pull it off. The passion and energy, the ennobling spirit. Both myself and a friend who's been a professional musician were impressed.

Punk, at its best, is a coalescence of ideas, will and passion that consumes. For a brief period last night, so it was.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Where was the show?

If you make it down to Riverwest, you can catch some great punk shows, as well as some other pretty good 'roots' rock bands. There's some shitty bands, of course, but talk to the right people and you're in for a good show.

Onopa and Mad Planet get some great acts. Riverwest Commons has some good local talent as well.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just be glad the opening act wasn't a second-rate emo band!

(But I agree about the nu-metal too.)

4. ATM

ATM Senior member

I heard two bands last night. The first was one of these faux metal acts. Maybe it's just that I'm older, but the new goth or angst metal, or whatever all these metallica, limp bizkit, nickelback, staind wannabes are playing is just so mindless and empty to me. They act all tough and angry but its really restlessness, and to me, lacking in passion. It's the new hair metal, complete with prancing cinderellas in their lame tats and goatees. Lemmings of Glory, redolent in their unwashed, OC Chopper garb.
    There are plenty of these guys in the Rock and Roll Confidential Hall of Douchebags.

5. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Maybe I'm getting old, but I'd throw limp bizkit, nickelback, and staind in with the rest of the wannabes.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Nu-metal...ugh, my biggest music pet peeve. You hit the nail on the head with its pretension of angst and anger.

And there is still a lot of good punk, you just won't find it thru ticketmaster.

7. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

Nu-metal...ugh, my biggest music pet peeve. You hit the nail on the head with its pretension of angst and anger.

And there is still a lot of good punk, you just won't find it thru ticketmaster.

muahahahahah.
    so when i told this dude i listened to metal he was like "oh, like avenged sevenfold?" and i was like "uhm..............................not really."