• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Music mixing / creating software?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
How are you planning to use it? Do you want to sequence loops? Sequence MIDI? Record raw audio? All of the above? I can probably help but just need a little more info.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
How are you planning to use it? Do you want to sequence loops? Sequence MIDI? Record raw audio? All of the above? I can probably help but just need a little more info.
This. That said, Ableton is a really well-rounded DAW and would suit any need most folks have outside of scoring.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken

Well, I'm learning but I want to have more features / learn more. So the more I have available, the more I can try.

Jon.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Well, I'm learning but I want to have more features / learn more. So the more I have available, the more I can try.

Jon.

If you don't know exactly what you want to do, I'd start with Sony Acid. It comes with loops and the interface is incredibly simple, so you can start making music right out of the box. The learning curve for some of the more advanced functions is a little steep, but you'll find that's true with any audio program.

Acid is a great sampler and an adequate DAW for beginners. I've been a Pro Tools user for years but still break it out whenever I'm dealing w/loops. It's a little pricey, though.

If you think you'll be solely recording audio,Reaper can't be beat for the price.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I used Acid back in the day, it's a little more complicated than Garage Band for basic functions, which is to say that it's not complicated at all.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a ton of personal experience, but everyone I know "in the industry" uses Reason, ProTools, or Ableton.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reason is available for Windoze and OS X. That is what my friends use, pricey though.

I've heard good things about Garageband, though not sure if it is on Windoze yet.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used acid for a short while, only really dabbling in loop sequencing. It's pretty intuitive, but from what I gather you'll want something more powerful if you're going to be doing other things.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.