• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music in your fav. shops

kanye3000

Reaction score
What type of music if any do you like to hear or would LIKE to hear in your favorite shops. More specifically a shop with a similar style to a Barneys co-op

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The live pianist at Nordstrom.

b

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it when a store will "mix it up" on different days but not randomly song after song. So, if I go in there and late 50's jazz is playing one day, then on another visit Euro lounge music, then on yet another visit classic Sinatra. But it has to reflect the aesthetic of the store.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the local hole-in-the-wall stores that let their employees choose the music. The music itself usually sounds fresh and, most importantly, reflects the "local flava" of the people working there, an effect you will not get if some distant and static force (corporate headquarters) controls the music selection. Of course there are copyright issues, but there are ways...

I think my favorite music-in-store moment was walking into a coffee shop in Martha's Vineyard and hearing Fennesz play in the background. It was playing loud, just as Fennesz needs to be played, and it worked surprisingly well.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DJs at Bloomingdales are always cool. Just as long as its not the makeup counter fashion rocks events or whatever. `

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
The live pianist at Nordstrom.

b

i like the pianist at our SC nordstrom who plays i think Friday or thursday nite. he's not technically better than the other ones, but he plays in such a solemn and melancholy way, it is so touching.

i asked him to play Clair de lune, he obliged, and when he played it i couldnt help buying a coffee from the nordstrom cafe and sit and ponder about my life.
now everytime i walk by him, he asks, "Clair de lune?"
i nod and smile. he smiles back and in a couple of minutes the sweet melody lingers through the bustling store.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
i like the pianist at our SC nordstrom who plays i think Friday or thursday nite. he's not technically better than the other ones, but he plays in such a solemn and melancholy way, it is so touching. i asked him to play Clair de lune, he obliged, and when he played it i couldnt help buying a coffee from the nordstrom cafe and sit and ponder about my life. now everytime i walk by him, he asks, "Clair de lune?" i nod and smile. he smiles back and in a couple of minutes the sweet melody lingers through the bustling store.
You spoke to a stranger?!?!?!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he's not a stranger anymore.
But he was initially...
confused.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i asked him to play Clair de lune, he obliged,

That's cool. I never asked the guy to play (I live in DC now, where I've never seen a liver player, but grew up in Seattle where there was always someone playing).

b

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
That's cool. I never asked the guy to play (I live in DC now, where I've never seen a liver player, but grew up in Seattle where there was always someone playing).

b

yes, but it doesnt always work. some will not oblige as they have only their list of playable songs and they may not be able to play your request.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
I love the local hole-in-the-wall stores that let their employees choose the music. The music itself usually sounds fresh and, most importantly, reflects the "local flava" of the people working there, an effect you will not get if some distant and static force (corporate headquarters) controls the music selection. Of course there are copyright issues, but there are ways...

I am a fan of this as well. The only drawback is when you get a bunch of people working who all have similar taste(s). My old coffee shop did this, and all the girls who worked there played the same kind of neo-hippy adult alternative, which isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but not exactly the thing people need large doses of. But yeah, back in the day when I worked at a local bookstore that's how we decided on the music. Each person got to put a CD in the player and it was set to random.

I think my favorite music-in-store moment was walking into a coffee shop in Martha's Vineyard and hearing Fennesz play in the background. It was playing loud, just as Fennesz needs to be played, and it worked surprisingly well.
This would have instantly become my favorite place to get coffee. I used to love listening to Fennesz on my iPod when I sat and drank coffee at the place around the corner from my old apartment.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, but it doesnt always work. some will not oblige as they have only their list of playable songs and they may not be able to play your request.

And worse still, they are getting rid of the live pianist in many of their stores, last I heard.

b

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I was in the Cucinelli showroom yesterday and they were playing some wierd New Wave-Industrial stuff...did not channel images of Solemeo as it should have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads