• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music, clothes...are they related?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I'm at the Dior Homme boutique, they play a lot of Indy music and it puts me in the mood to buy their clothes. I think fashion and music are related or get their inspiration from. Of course, there are also other factors that influence fashion/ clothing like the economy and geographic location.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear mostly Yohji and listen to mostly hip hop...a loose association perhaps, but in my head the two bridge together.

oh yeah gotta remember and love Yohji's horrendously hilarious collection as an homage to hip hop with the satirical BLING pimp rings and jewelry.

but to answer the OP question in a more general sense, yes i think music and clothes are just as intertwined as books and clothes, or cinema and clothes, or any form of culture and clothes for that part.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did this thread on sufu http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34980 And the answer pretty much is no, but music used to have a huge impact on what I wore(street-hiphop), but not really any more. The music I listen to somewhat goes hand in hand with my clothes, but I have no problem listening to wu-tang while wearing and ocbd and a chore coat.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
The music I listen to somewhat goes hand in hand with my clothes, but I have no problem listening to wu-tang while wearing and ocbd and a chore coat.

yeah gotta love that stylistic dissonance. Like was pretty surprised/impressed when I saw edmorel knowing so much about hip hop, dressing the way he does.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite style of dress is TNSIL/Trad or whatever you like and I listen to mostly Hip Hop, though I do listen to a lot of Jazz also.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd imagine that the correlation for most people would be that music influences how you feel, and how you feel influences how you dress.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I listen to all kinds of different music, and dress in several different styles, and have noticed that on certain kicks, I'll be listening to music and dressing in a similar style.

If I'm going through a San Francisco folk kick, I'll be dressing in a more Bohemian style and listening to lots of Jana Hunter, Devendra Banhart, Vetiver, etc. Sometimes I dress to match the music, sometimes I listen to music that matches how I dress.

It's not coincidental, but its not entirely conscious, either.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the extent to which you want the lifestyle associated with the music. I'm really into punk and have been for the past 10 years and as a teenager I wanted to "live it" moreso than I do now. It also has to do with identifying with a subculture and displaying it.

I don't really feel a need now to be part of a group like that, but there are subtle influences in the way I currently dress. Also, there are a lot of clothes that I like that are associated with punk that I don't think I could pull off because they require too much attitude, and I'm a pretty quiet guy. A leather jacket, ripped black jeans and combat boots is a good look if you've got the right sneer.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it did up through college. i listen to way too many different types of music to have my clothes associate with it and i don't really identify with any one group anymore. i suppose a t-shirt and jeans works with everything. i do have a tendency to tweak what i'm wearing when i go to live shows to get into the spirit of things.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that the music I listen to changes my outfit on a day-to-day basis, but I certainly go through phases. When I was younger, there was this all-or-nothing attitude which dominated both my music and clothing choice. Punk rock, oi, etc. in high school, where I would wear the boots and tight jeans/shirts. This changed around college. My clothing and music style began to slack into a more laidback, reggae vibe. Towards the end of college, I started gravitating back towards metal and hardcore, along with tighter pants and band shirts. Now, I'm listening to more hardcore, but everything is mish-moshing into this weird combination. I'm certainly trying to bring back some of the edge with more clothing related to hardcore, but it doesn't necessarily depend on how I feel in the morning.

So to answer the question, yes and no.

entropy kid

Reaction score
Reading this thread I started to wonder how much different youth cultures influence their ... followers ... later in their life. I can't really imagine adults in baggy pants, triple oversized basketball shirts and flashy hats worn at weird angles but I see quite a lot of people still wearing remnants of their punk rock uniform they used to wear in the early eighties...
On a side note, I still wear a lot of band tees today but I tend to wear them on days when my overall feelings somehow match the style of the band.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Not so much. I listen to a lot of rap, and dress like a skinny white kid.
lulz. same here.
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I listen to all kinds of different music, and dress in several different styles, and have noticed that on certain kicks, I'll be listening to music and dressing in a similar style. If I'm going through a San Francisco folk kick, I'll be dressing in a more Bohemian style and listening to lots of Jana Hunter, Devendra Banhart, Vetiver, etc. Sometimes I dress to match the music, sometimes I listen to music that matches how I dress. It's not coincidental, but its not entirely conscious, either.
Though I have been known to put on some Cocorosie or Wooden Wand and throw on a loose thrift store oxford and a crown of daisies. Nice to see some "freak folk" love on here.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
They aren't really related for me. Aren't related at all, actually. But I can see and respect that they are for some people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads