• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Museum Calf Appreciation Thread

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Renovateur should not remove finish from museum, maybe surface polish only. The dye is supposed to be tanned into the hides, IIRC. My tanning/dying vernacular may be off on this one.
I just received my pair of Vass Museum Cognac Double Monks(same as Renault78law) and asked Rezso about renovateur and polishing products. Here's his reply:

"I am using renovator rarely. Mostly wax polish. The matching one to each color. For museum calf brown I am using brown and each year once the neutral color. For gold I am using maroon, tan or light brown."

He also uses Bergol products that you can find here:

http://www.shoepassion.com/shoe-polish.html

He especially likes palm wax.

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score

First day with meermin dark brown museum double monks. Received 3 compliment by lunch time and 0 slips (though a couple of close calls). Win/win!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those experts in museum calf. Do you see much difference between the museum calf from Tannery Ilcea and the one from Tannery Bonaudo. It seems to me (from pics) that JL Parisean brown calf is very similar to Vass dark brown calf. Any inputs?. Thanks

rwtc

Reaction score
Vass Plum Museum Wingtip Derbies:

Meermin Linea Maestro Dark Brown Museum Calf Double Monks:

I use black polish on both shoes as per the recommendation from Leatherfoot and a post from the Shoesnob. Sorry for the poor angles
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeap, but not only boots, some other models too. Despite those efforts, I am still waiting for my JL WII from Nick (he send me one pair but I had to return it)

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

...come to think of it, do other tanneries besides ILCEA offer patina leathers similar to the museum kind?

yes another Italian tannery called Zonta basically made replicas of the Radica leather. Pretty sure that was not the only tannery I saw doing so when last at Lineapelle

Miguelu

Reaction score
Cross-post from the Meermin thread, but I just wanted to share a couple of initial shots from my Meermin single monks. These are a beautiful green museum calf (which I haven't really seen that much before this pair) on the Elton last from a GMTO back in late March - the green museum mottling is actually pretty subtle even in direct sunlight so it was pretty hard to capture on camera. Arrived earlier in June and I haven't had the opportunity to bust them out, so I'm making do with a few shots.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads