Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Museum Calf Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Mar 15, 2014.

1. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Meermin dark brown MTO#1. The poor quality Ilcea leather unfortunately. Worn about 15 times now
    [​IMG]

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

3. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Of which ones?

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Hopefully get another sunny day tomorro and I'll try to get some decent shots. Fwiw I really like the new gold museum; I think it'll age beautifully

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

7. samiur

samiur New Member

Many thanks to wurger for posting the Navy museum calf shoes by Kent Wang, those are the exact shoes I am thinking of buying.

I own 2 pairs of museum calf shoes (pics to follow after the rainstorm): 1) used JL tan color - very rich mottled effect, visibly uneven pattern in room lightning, absolutely gorgeous under bright sunlight; 2) "Burgundy" Radica (which presumably refers to Ilcea's radica...but it can mean other things too) Gravati shoes (sold by Beren Shoes) - looks like black/dark brown in room condition. Under moderate sunlight there is a "hint" of burgundy here and there over the dark brown "body". I am not sure whether the difference in mottled effect is due to the JL being second hand and thus somewhat aged, or because JL uses better quality leather

My question to you, sir, is: do the navy shoes show the mottled in room lightning? Further, do they look navy under room lightning, or black (as I see from my monitor)?

Thank you

Samiur

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

The photos on Kent's site is very accurate, as when I first got them, there is no way you can tell that there is any mottling. I had to apply some renovateur, realised some polishing is coming off, to speed that up I washed the shoe with soap to remove any black/navy polish.

and reapply renovateur after the shoes are dry, reapply navy cream polish to get a mottled effect.

So mottling in room lighting, and it's navy when you have a pair of black shoes next to it, but it's pretty dark.

9. samiur

samiur New Member

Wurger, thanks for the detailed response. May I ask if you own any other pair of museum calf shoes? Do you regret buying the Kent Wang (since the Signature mottled effect is so diminished)?

Further, are you satisfied with the mottled effect after the Navy shoe cream?

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Kent Wang but it bugs me beyond words how they have dimmed down the mottled effect. It seems all their shoes have the flat smooth appearance (except the Sienna monk)

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

Hm, some what, but they did tell me via email that the photos on the site is accurate, so Kent's team is not to blame at all.

It would be better if the mottling is more obvious, but I appreciate my own labour.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

wurger - blue shoes now? You are really branching out colour-wise. These look very nice indeed. I have some navy museum on order from Vass - I sure hope the mottling is evident.

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Thanks Roger, I actually have a lot of non black shoes, it's just that I decided to document the black ones first.

13. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Closeups of dark brown ilcea by Meermin and gold museum by Vass as requested by @wurger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

15. Mark Lee Jin Yi

Mark Lee Jin Yi Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pair of parisian brown museum calf william II from JL!:) had to save a year for these!