Muscular or skinny?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kookydooky, May 13, 2010.

1. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

i'm 5'11" and 143 pounds, but still hit the gym and have muscles, it's not an either/or thing

2. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

yea i look like taeyang. pretty waesome build imo.

3. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

As in all things, there's alot more latitude when you're tall. Tall-and-skinny and tall-and-ripped can both work for the individual. Shorter guys really need to bulk up to avoid being completely physically insubstantial. And unlike tall skinny guys who can successfully experiment with silouettes, those of us who are squattier in stature have to wear fitted clothes head-to-toe.

5. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

As in all things, there's alot more latitude when you're tall. Tall-and-skinny and tall-and-ripped can both work for the individual. Shorter guys really need to bulk up to avoid being completely physically insubstantial. And unlike tall skinny guys who can successfully experiment with silouettes, those of us who are squattier in stature have to wear fitted clothes head-to-toe.

+100 Short, skinny guys just look...frail. I'm 5'7" and 160: call it "short man syndrome" if you want, but I feel as if I have to bulk to to be physically confident. So of course my vote is muscular, which is highly relative according to your perspective.

6. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Shorter guys really need to bulk up to avoid being completely physically insubstantial. And unlike tall skinny guys who can successfully experiment with silouettes, those of us who are squattier in stature have to wear fitted clothes head-to-toe.
    Not trying to be a dick but when I see short guys look beefy as anything this is the exact thought that comes to my mind, but not in a good way. I find it projects insecurity about their body and a longing to be 'normal', rather than an acceptance of who they are. Granted there are the exceptions that carry an air of modesty about them which suggests that this isn't the reason they are built, the majority of bulky short guys do not come across this way at least to me. Just my $0.02

7. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

As a tall guy who used to be skinny (6'5", 185), who "filled out" through aging and excercise (but mostly aging) now 210, I'm probably going to lean towards slim. While most people who see me would probably discribe my built as athletic, I still have a really hard time fitting into some of the brands I like. While my waist is still in the 33/34 range, and my chest is 42, my thight are simply too big for a lot of pants. I've always had a hard time finding length, but I never expected to be too big for clothes.

8. Listi

Listi Senior member

Anorexic.

Yes.

Be as skinny as you can possibly be, because it's fabulous.

Apparently I've been gaining weight though... last time I weighed myself I was almost at 130 [​IMG]

9. DLester

DLester Senior member

excessively bulging muscles are freakish and suggest that you have nothing more important to do than hit the gym, which is not a good message to send. very jersey shore.

athletic or slim are good.

10. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

the level of delusion in this thread is mind blowing

11. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

thank god i'm not short is all i'm saying

+1, if it was the case I'd have to follow all these nice rules tagutcow made.

13. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

i'm 5'11" and 143 pounds, but still hit the gym and have muscles, it's not an either/or thing

Manorexic fo sho.

14. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Everyone has a different idea on what is muscular and skinny on here. I think no matter how much anyone on here considers muscular, having a low (10% or less) bodyfat is good to have. I'm 6'1 175 lbs and some of my friends think I'm skinny.

15. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

The problem lies in the fact that people view things from two perspectives; American Fat and Fashion skinny.

I think suit size is a pretty good guideline. If the average chest-to-waist drop is about 6 inches, anyone with a drop of more than 8 or less than 4 would be enterring slim/large territory respectively.