• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Muscle Milk

brazboy

Reaction score
I heard great things about Muscle Milk, but I have some doubts about when should I take. Is it a proper post-workout shake, or should I take ir before bed/during the day? I'm currently taking whey after working out, and I was wondering if I could replace it by Muscle Milk.

Do you guys take Muscle Milk post-workout? Or it would it be better if I take whey post-workout and MM before bed?

Thank's

mikej77

Reaction score
It has protein, carbs and essential fats, I like it after a workout more for the convenience factor than anything else. I like having a premixed drink instead of having to make a shake.

brazboy

Reaction score
another question: should I take Muscle Milk with maltodextrin/dextrose post-workout? Or only Muscle Milk?

metal_wear

Reaction score
hey man i was also wondering as to when i should take it. I have bought it but has not yet started taking it as was a bit confused about when to take it! If some one knows then can you please help us out, thanks!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Muscle Milk is a good marketing drink that also tastes good. I'm not saying its not good, but it is expensive for what you get. Some would argue that because of the amount of casein in it, that it is not optimal for post-workout, I personally prefer whey post-workout. It also doesn't have enough carbs for a good recovery. The only time I drink muscle milk is occasionally before bed, for the casein.

I would not recommend it pre-workout. The amount of carbs and junk are not sufficient to sustain a good workout IMO.

Muscle milk appeals to people because it tastes good, and also doesn't have a lot of carbs, which seems to be a trend in generic fitness land, removing carbs from meals.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Muscle Milk is not ideal for PWO shakes because it contains fat. A proper PWO shake has simple sugars and fast-absorbing (whey) protein in a ratio of 2:1 grams.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
Muscle Milk is not ideal for PWO shakes because it contains fat. A proper PWO shake has simple sugars and fast-absorbing (whey) protein in a ratio of 2:1 grams.

but muscle milk doesn't specify how much protein is whey or casein? does it?

skunkworks

Reaction score
It's a blend of whey and casein with some other stuff thrown in. As to the exact ratio, who knows. A lot of companies like to do this trickery where they say their protein powders contain expensive whey protein isolates, hydrolized whey protein, etc. but really they use a drop of the good stuff and fill the rest up with whey protein concentrate (the cheap but still effective stuff).

That's why when you read the ingredients list of these products, they like to list the first ingredient as "SO AND SO COMPANY'S PATENTED PROTEIN BLEND (hydrolized whey protein, whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, micellar casein, soy protein)." Technically, they could fill 99% of that protein blend with soy protein (which is garbage btw) and put a drop of the other stuff, and to us we can never tell how much of each is in there. They do this since ingredients labels have to list ingredients in order from greatest to least.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Just buy a bag of Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey and some dextrose or maltodextrin. One scoop of each is approx 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. If you're too lazy to do this, just take a whole bunch of each and premix it for easy scooping.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must take it at 12 minute intervals measured out to 2.7oz for each serving precisely 1 hour after working out. Drink it sitting instead of standing as standing requires more energy and may confuse your body into thinking it's still working out. It must also only be taken on days without cloud cover or nights without a new moon.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not just mix some whey and skim milk for a PWO drink?

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You must take it at 12 minute intervals measured out to 2.7oz for each serving precisely 1 hour after working out. Drink it sitting instead of standing as standing requires more energy and may confuse your body into thinking it's still working out. It must also only be taken on days without cloud cover or nights without a new moon.

laugh.gif

Just eat a lot of food and lift heavy weight. Use compound movements. And that's it. Really.

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

lol +1 for overthinkers!

I wouldn't use MM post workout unless you have nothing else available. Its profile is better for pre-bed.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i work out at end of day so it's my post workout/pre-bed drink. 2 birds, 1 stone, 1 lazy ass, and some blueberries

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who read the title of this thread and thought it was a euphemism for something else?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads