1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Muscle-building without access to a gym

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by fatherseanfan, Jul 15, 2006.

1. itsmeJT

itsmeJT Active Member

Do they tone pecs, triceps, glutes and quads then?

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Do they tone pecs, triceps, glutes and quads then?
    + cardio = my experience. not bad for one exercise huh?

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

what do burpees actually do?
    according the guy that wrote the prison workout thing...
    That one movement works pretty much the entire body from head to toe by combining a squat with a pushup. Because you're constantly switching from squats to pushups you're teaching your body to use the arms and legs simultaneously, like in a fight. Because you're moving the body from a vertical plane to a horizontal plane continuously, you're learning balance, agility, and the ability to maneuver while lying on the ground and on your feet. Because of the constant alternating use of the arms and legs, your heart has to work twice as hard as if you just did continuous squats or pushups. This movement will give you great endurance as well as upper and lower body strength. You'll notice that you use jumping movements with the legs, back, abs, and arms in this exercise. This will give you speed and explosiveness throughout the whole body.
    make of that what you will, but I like them.

4. uNotAzFreshAzImIz

uNotAzFreshAzImIz Well-Known Member

iso-kinetics .. To keep toned and use the muscles .. [​IMG]

5. sonteq

sonteq Member

There are many burpee variants and some people add pushups, tuck jumps and if you do them near a pullup bar u can jump up and do pull ups [​IMG] Anyone who hasn't done them should really give it a try

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

yeah when i get better tuck jumps is my next challenge.

will take me a while though.

7. sonteq

sonteq Member

yeah when i get better tuck jumps is my next challenge.

will take me a while though.

very true, normal burpees are hard enough!

8. Buddy Love

Buddy Love Well-Known Member

remember you burn off fat before muscle.

Nice. Then I should stop training altogether to get ripped. [​IMG]

9. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

I really have been looking at the workout web sites.
    Fabulous quanties of information - some in conflict.

However, this site seems to have a pretty balanced approach to workouts and fitness for endurance:
    http://www.crossfit.com/
    Go to the forums and read the posts.

Quite a bit of emphasis on body wieght and gymnastic types of exercises. Combined with some Iron and running.
    For an example of the results for a somehat "normal" guy, read this thread from another message board:
    http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/339150/

At this site they have the exercises scaled for more normal people - and for kids, where I probably should think of starting:
    http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/

Lots of additional info on body weight exercises:
    http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthrea...23/an/0/page/0

10. mizanation

mizanation Well-Known Member

good suggestions.

however, hundreds of reps of bodyweight exercises can become boring.

here's an old catch-wrestling game that keeps things interesting.

take a pack of cards and shuffle them.

take one card and flip it over.

if it is a red card, you do a hindu pushup, and you do the number of reps on the card. if it is a face card, you do 15 (or 20 if you are in good shape).

if it is a black card, you do a hindu squat.

do this until you go through the entire deck. don't stop between sets.

the nice thing about this is that it randomizes the number of reps and the exercises, so your body will always keep guessing.

11. Houndstooth

Houndstooth Well-Known Member

12. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

Check out Kettle Bell training. Its great and you can do it at home or any where. http://www.mikemahler.com/exercises_page.html

I don't get it -- what's the advantage over dumbells?

Google-ing around, I found this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler55.htm

I can't do them. But a pretty good example of how the body weight exercises can be leveraged.

Holy crap, does here anyone do these? Never heard of this before, but it sounds amazing.

13. familyman

familyman Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the body weight links. Burpee drop sets ans some of the gymnastics stuff is a great change of pace. Handstand pushups here I come!

14. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Quirk,
    Dragondoor is probably the best site to get kettlebell info. I'm not a trainer and do not use them. The general idea, as I understand it, is that the "floppyness" of the kettlebell swinging at the end of your arm causes you to use more of the small stabalizer muscles. The purpose of the Kettlebell stuff seems more along the fitness line of conditioning than the bodybuilding line. No doubt that the Kettlebell exercises will increase strength.

At the Dragondoor site, look down the page to the left side for links to many articles. Pretty good info and ideas. The forums are also pretty worthwhile. This one article is darned good. Try to do one of those Planches.
    Building an Olympic Body. This is a pretty good thread where a person posted his results doing the Planches. Note that he only claims to be doing this stuff 2 minutes a day. Bodyweight Conditioning Progress thread.

Go to the forums and read posts and threads by Sommer - the author of the above article. He is a gymnastics coach, of course, and is very big on the body weight exercises. And also look for posts by Ethan Reeve, the strength coach at Wake Forest.

And I agree with your assessment that a lot of the exercises that these folks are doing seem pretty amazing. Heck, I'm trying to do a few pullups and squats. Pistols or Handstand Pushups - maybe in a year.

BTW, if you thought THAT Glute/Hamstring exercise you posted was difficult, this comes from one of the posts in that Progress thread.
    "...For hamstring strength utilizing body weight exercise, the glute/ham raise is one of the best. There are several variations. The easiest to master and requires no equipment, is the following. Kneel on a foam pad or cushion to protect the knees. Anchor your feet and ankles under a heavy piece of furniture like a sofa or dresser. Keep your body completely erect and back arched slightly, knees at about ninety degrees.Place the hands on your waist. Slowly bend at the waist while keeping the back arched and touch the forehead to the floor. Now contratct the hamstrings and glutes and straighten back up to the erect position. It is important to lean forward slightly during the entire movement to keep the hamstrings engaged. The tendency is to allow the butt to drift back, thus unloading the hammies. If this seems to easy, fold the arms over the chest to increase resistence with the weight of the arms. Work up to several sets with the hands clasped behind the neck. You can hold a barbell plate behind the head as well.This will thouroughly thrash the hamstrings.
    Combine the body weight glute/ham raise with pistols, one leg pelvic bridges and one leg back extensions for a complete hamstring, hip and low back workout.
    Steve Maxwell"

Oh, Yeah. Let me rip off a few sets of those.

15. mizanation

^^^ i've seen kettlebells used in russia quite effectively--over 10 years ago, long before the big hype in the states. then again, i've seen regular weights used just as effectively. i've also seen no-weights used effectively.

16. familyman

familyman Well-Known Member

This bodyweight stuff is fun. I'm back to working on my pullups which I suck at. I also decided that I should try and learn how to do a handstand pushup. Working on the handstand but I have a long way to go. I was suprised to find out that I could do a pushup against the wall first go at it. It's just head to the ground, not full range of motion on bars but I was still shocked that it worked. I'm really enjoying learning the first steps of body controll to do planches. This is way way more fun than weights and I can do it in my living room while watching TV. I'm a convert.

17. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Well-Known Member

Im really glad I posed this question. There's a wealth of info here! I am going home this week but having been making use of some of the suggestions and I feel pretty good. Thanks to all.

18. Aureus

Aureus Well-Known Member

The truest, best, and definitive work, FM 21-20

19. denarii

denarii Active Member

Im really glad I posed this question. There's a wealth of info here! I am going home this week but having been making use of some of the suggestions and I feel pretty good. Thanks to all.

Take a look at the following as well: http://www.navysealteams.com/warning.htm. It'll tone your muscles and develop strength with relatively little bulk. I preferred it to any of the gym workouts I've done (although, I am still a little partial to the erg machine).

20. mizanation

This bodyweight stuff is fun. I'm back to working on my pullups which I suck at. I also decided that I should try and learn how to do a handstand pushup. Working on the handstand but I have a long way to go. I was suprised to find out that I could do a pushup against the wall first go at it. It's just head to the ground, not full range of motion on bars but I was still shocked that it worked. I'm really enjoying learning the first steps of body controll to do planches. This is way way more fun than weights and I can do it in my living room while watching TV. I'm a convert.

if you want more range of motion, stack up a couple telephone books, or use those pushup stands. or use a couple chairs (be careful!)