• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murray Hill area

Frigiliana

Reaction score
Staying at the Affinia Shelburne Hotel Murray Hill New York this coming May , can anybody recommend a nice restaurant in the area? , and recommendations for shopping? , this is our first visit to America . Staying for six nights lot to cram in.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
take a quick cab ride down to the Union Square/Grammercy Park area. Restaurants of note: Aldea, Maialino, Grammmercy Tavern, Eleven Madison Park, 15 East, Tocqueville, Num Pang sandwich shop, Te Adore.

Sazerac

Reaction score
I lived in this area for years. While you'll find quite a few neighborhood restaurants of middling to low quality (and a number of fun neighborhood pubs) along 3rd Avenue, you can easily access the rest of Manhattan by taxi.

Gramercy Park and Union Square are an easy walk from where you are, along with Chelsea and Flatiron. Search for restaurants that interest you in those neighborhoods. Sadly, I haven't lived there in a few years and so don't know if any of my haunts are still around.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the Shelburne is, but I've always enjoyed I Trulli on 27th (Puglian cuisine). There's a new spot wya east on 29th called Riverppark(?) that is good.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this is your first trip to America, I thought you should know, that Murray Hill is one of the most American parts of NYC. It's overrun with twentysomething bros from the heartland. This is not a good thing.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Since this is your first trip to America, I thought you should know, that Murray Hill is one of the most American parts of NYC. It's overrun with twentysomething bros from the heartland. This is not a good thing.

True, but that doesn't mean he'll be hitting up Mercury Bar...

K-Town is close by if you like Korean BBQ. There is some great dining down in the Madison Square Park area. Eataly is a cool place to check out when it's not jam packed full of people.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
True, but that doesn't mean he'll be hitting up Mercury Bar...

Ahh, I remember fondly the inexplicable shouts of "Whooooo!" and the stink of Jaegermeister vomit as I made my way home from the East Village.

Fun fact: 3rd Avenue, before they tore down the elevated tracks in the late 50's/ early 60's, was one long strip of gay bars, particularly in Midtown. Wonder how those junior financial advisors from Dubuque would react if they knew what their favorite tavern used to be fifty years ago.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Fun fact: 3rd Avenue, before they tore down the elevated tracks in the late 50's/ early 60's, was one long strip of gay bars

how, exactly, has the area changed since then?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
how, exactly, has the area changed since then?

hahahaha! Dylan's Candy bar has revamped the whole scene over there.

Frigiliana

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of the last few posts , but thanks for the recommendations

simplyj

Reaction score
A few suggestions (streets may be off by one block or so in either direction):

quick lunch:
- Defonte's sandwich shop around 21st and 3rd. Ridiculous roast beef sandwiches.
- Lamazou cheese shop on 27th and 3rd.
- Baoguette on 26th and lex - vietnamese sandwiches

Brunch:
- Barbounia on 19th and Park. Also has an aycd brunch for $15 on top of the entree price.

For dinner there aren't many notable places in the area but here's a few ideas:
- Wildwood on 18th and Park for some great bbq
- Novita on 22nd and Park for Italian
- BLT Prime across from Novita for some good steaks

Also check out Eataly next to Madison sq park. INcredible indoor market with some sit down "restaurants". It's a bit overpriced and touristy, but the foods are incredible.

Though I'd say to venture outside the area. Head downtown for some great food. I usually keep to the east side but have a few favorites:
- Kuma Inn in the Lower East Side for filipino fusion tapas (also byob)
- Goat Town is a new spot in the east village that was good enough for me to go back several times in the past few weeks.
- La Sirene in the southern west village for incredible, yet unpretentious, french food. also byob
- Taureau is the sister restaurant for La Sirene in the East Village
- In Vino in the East Village for great italian food and wine without breaking the bank
-

simplyj

Reaction score
Oh, I must have been zoning out a bit and didn't read everything. You are staying at the Shelbourne, which is actually in midtown really. I actually work about a block up Lexington. There isn't much of note in that area either, but Rare on the first floor of the hotel actually serves up some good burgers. Also may want to check out Zengo around 40th and 3rd. The food varies depending on what you get, but they have an excellent tequila selection. You are only a few blocks south of Grand Central which has some good restaurants on the fancier side.

Frigiliana

Reaction score
Just googled "In Vino" and "Goat town" they look great don't mind walking trying to link the sightseeing with places to eat . once again thanks

okwwq7802

Reaction score
OP, you will be on 34th Street. Head up to 43rd street (5 min walk) for Sushi Yasuda for, arguably, the best sushi in NYC. On 37th street (2 min walk) for a TexMex bar named Rio Grande - very "american" and great happy hour, particularly on Thursdays. For even more typical americana, a block from your hotel is a Jackson Hole burger joint (it's a chain for whatever its worth) - can't get more "american" than that. Virtually across the street from your hotel, I think there is a Philly Cheesesteak place for another slice of good old americana. These are all in your neighborhood. As others commented, you are but a short taxi ride away from other more notable NY eateries.

As for shopping, you are another 5 min walk west (staying on 34th street) to Macy's - the self-proclaimed World's Greatest (or is it Biggest?) Department Store. Check the other threads on NYC shopping (e.g. Century 21...)

Have fun in NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads