• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Multiple workouts per day vs. one

AB01

Reaction score
I used to have to drive to get to the gym, so I would spend over 30 min, and often 45 min to an hour working out to make the trip worth it. Sometimes longer.

I'm at some place for a few weeks with a gym right downstairs! Should I do an afternoon and an evening workout, but for shorter periods of time?

I don't like those long workouts that make me sick, so I really hope it isn't required that I spend a whole hour at a time in a gym.

I'm working out on weight-lifting machines both upper and lower body if that helps in getting an answer. Maybe I should do lower body and then upper body at night? Is it a waste if I don't push to tearing each time?

Illuminate07

Reaction score
To be honest, if you spend less than 30 mins to work your entire upperbody or lower body, your routine is ****.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Illuminate07
To be honest, if you spend less than 30 mins to work your entire upperbody or lower body, your routine is ****.

LOL. Depends on what his needs are.

Yes you can split up your body for twice a day. Or weights in the morning and cardio at night. Or same workout twice a day.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not even remotely true.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My workouts rarely take longer than 30 minutes and that includes "cardio". Often I do Crossfit, but I've been mixing it up lately. I go balls to wall and when I'm finished, I'm huffin & puffin and sweatin like a pig. I do my thing and leave. I just returned from my workout.

3 X 5 Front Squat
3 X 5 Press
1 X 5 Deadlift
13 minutes of Intervals - 1 minute hard, 1 minute slow

There was a meathead talking on his cellphone when I got there and he was talking on his cell phone when I left. 30 minutes is pushing it, but if you eliminate the fluff, you can get a helluva workout in...unless of course, you're trying to bring out striations in your medial deltoid.
laugh.gif

Deluks917

Reaction score
^Lots of guys on similar programs prefer to take long rests between sets on a program like that.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

False. Too many people wrongly equate time spent in the weight room to quality of workout regiment. What matters is the intensity of workout.

As for the original question, I'd only do two-a-days if you're lifting in the morning and doing a cardio session later on. I wouldn't lift twice in one day, even if you're doing different lifts.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
False. Too many people wrongly equate time spent in the weight room to quality of workout regiment. What matters is the intensity of workout.

As for the original question, I'd only do two-a-days if you're lifting in the morning and doing a cardio session later on. I wouldn't lift twice in one day, even if you're doing different lifts.

Nope. Wrong!

Jay, the once and future King does train twice a day. The secret is to train intense in the day and less intense at nights. He trains 2 days in a row and rest 1 day and repeat.

I find it is essential to rest up to 6 hours between sessions, after a proper meal and protein shakes. You have to sleep.

The result is good. Try it.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
My workouts (in this location) are circuit. From machine to machine. Very short breaks between machines.

yea it was funny switching between the YMCA gym and the LA fitness gym.

At LA fitness I joined with 5-6 people. Slowly dwindled down to me and another. And now since im in college hes the only one that still goes there. Anyway, I found myself taking 2.5+ hours a day at LA fitness having to wait for people to finish the machines or weights (talking about my friends not random people) and still having to do my workout. I was easily there from 8:15 to 11 M-Th.

Then when it went down to me and my friend, he knew alot of people that went there. I foud it taking about 2 hours just to comeplete the routines.

At the YMCA I would go in alone, only talk to a select few people, no more than 2-3 minutes. Was in out in no more than 45 mins to an hour. Including 30 mins of cardio.
I rarely ofund myself taking any more than a minute break inbetween sets, and any more than 1.5 mins inbetween the routine (going from 1 machine/free weight to another.)
In other words,
1) Work out by yourself
2) Dont be distracted
3) You can definately do a good workout in under an hour

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Not even remotely true.

+1. My weights ruitine takes 20 minutes -

squat
lat pulldown
incline barbell press
barbell snatch and military press

all 3X8

pdeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK

Can't stress that enough. If you're spending more than an hour in the gym you're wasting your time and doing too much (or dawdling about). I'd try to do a 3/4 day split with you working out different muscle groups every day.

M: Chest/Tris/Shoulder
W: Back/Biceps
F: Legs

Something like that would be effective. You don't want to push to your limit each time too. Go at like 70% your max weight if you're going to be doing sets and save maxing out to like a thing you do every two weeks or something. Also in my experience it helps a lot to have one buddy lift with you (someone who wants to lift) as motivation. Working out alone is kind of boring and for myself I tend to lose focus.

rbny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
+1. My weights ruitine takes 20 minutes -

squat
lat pulldown
incline barbell press
barbell snatch and military press

all 3X8

That routine s very similar to my old standby except that I did weighted pullups instead of lat pulldowns and finished in about 25 minutes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics