• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Multi Point fold or simple square fold?

Sixers_610

Reaction score
I noticed most of you like the regular square fold for your pocket square. I've always been a multiple point guy. Any thoughts? Also, I am a30 year old guy who provides investment consulting, often in rooms that have men of ages 55 and older. I don't want to look arrogant or obnoxious.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/fold-a...cketsquare.tem

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the pattern of the Square is more important than the way you fold it. I always use Square Fold - because I am lazy. But I don't recall ever being offended at someone wearing a different fold.

I live in L.A., Your Mileage May Vary.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sq fold!

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a goddamn mountain range in your pocket looks tryhard and foppish.

Sixers_610

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Wearing a goddamn mountain range in your pocket looks tryhard and foppish.

This is what I am trying to avoid

NiFTY

Reaction score
do as you feel, a square fold is more formal is you are teaming it with sober business wear, i personally perfer a haphazard mountainous pocket square if i am wearing casual attire. but don't allow rules to dictate how you dress too much, do as you like, gianni agnelli is a style icon and he broke every rule in the book.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For linen pocket squares I always use a simple TV fold. For silk I use the poof method. Grab the center, pull it up through your thumb and index finger in an 'O', stuff it in and fix it. The tri-tips or whatever you call it never looks good, imo.

If you're just starting wearing pocket squares, I would stick to a simple white linen square in a TV fold.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
For linen pocket squares I always use a simple TV fold. For silk I use the poof method. Grab the center, pull it up through your thumb and index finger in an 'O', stuff it in and fix it. The tri-tips or whatever you call it never looks good, imo.

If you're just starting wearing pocket squares, I would stick to a simple white linen square in a TV fold.

+1 on TV fold

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As life in general, simple is almost always better!!! Square fold for me.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen in a square fold, or silk in a puff, but points do tend to look a bit anachronistic.

Merlino

Reaction score
I don't wear a ps to work. In my free time I rock a puff, making sure the puffy part sticks out from the pocket to largely obscure the peaks.

BerryWall

Reaction score
I never use a square fold. While I think that it works quite well as part of a certain aesthetic, it has become the default method of deployment for too many. I think that this may be in part because the alternative ways of folding, stuffing, etc., may be intimidating to many; after all it is easier to use a square fold than it is to master a multi-point fold that does not look to studied or too conspicuous .
All of my sartorial models mastered the art of an elegantly presented linen or silk square. Not one used a square fold. The are many pictures in the archives of this forum for inspiration, as well as Flusser's book, etc., etc.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
For linen pocket squares I always use a simple TV fold. For silk I use the poof method. Grab the center, pull it up through your thumb and index finger in an 'O', stuff it in and fix it. The tri-tips or whatever you call it never looks good, imo. If you're just starting wearing pocket squares, I would stick to a simple white linen square in a TV fold.
This.

1up2down

Reaction score
You put it in your pocket any-given way and look in the mirror. If you like it, great. If you like it, but still feel uncomfortable with it, well, there is your answer. It doesn't matter what any of us think..

You could just keep it simple with the swatch and get wild ties... or socks.. The pocket square isn't by any means the only way to express yourself.. Especially if you are uncomfortable with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads