Mulberry bags

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fuji, Apr 4, 2009.

1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Im thinking about getting a mulberry messanger bag this summer during their sale and I was woundering what the quality is like? Ill probably get a leather one, not a canvas one.

2. bonobono_k

bonobono_k Senior member

pretty good...but too expensive...it will be another option with its price

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I had a briefcase by them and it always used to break. Their customer service is shoddy, taking up to six weeks for repairs &c. and with a charge too. So much for an 'investment'. I'd save up a little more and get one from a decent producer such as Swaine Adeney Brigg.

4. Avebury

Avebury Senior member

I considered Mulberry when I was looking for a briefcase. I think the one I looked at on New Bond Street was something like £700. Tag inside: 'Made in Turkey'. You must be joking!

You could try Tusting. I had a look at the "Melchbourne" in The Natural Shoe Store in Covent Garden. Better quality than Mulberry and at a fraction of the price.

If you're prepared to spend £700 + on a bag, I would look at Papworth. Swaine Adeney Brigg is probably top end, so you can double that figure. If you buy one don't leave it on the train!

The other possibility is bespoke. £700 would get you a bespoke article.

5. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

I entered their Bond St store twice and didn't like anything there except a few of their cloths. You can find much better stuff for same prices.

6. NKT

NKT Member

I had been searching for a new laptop/shoulder bag for months, until I read about Glaser designs on this forum. I placed an order a week ago, and am now eagerly awaiting the arrival of their A4 flaptop bag in chestnut color. Will post pics when i get it! [​IMG]

http://www.glaserdesigns.com

Nico

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

I looked at papworth, but the only SAB bags they have are fuisha. I considered it, because they were only 250 GBP, but the colour was off putting. Would a Mulberry messenger be worth it at 300 GBP? Ill take a look at the Tusting bags. Where would I go for a bespoke bag?

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Should also add that I only need the bag to last me a few years as it is only for school.

9. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Should also add that I only need the bag to last me a few years as it is only for school.

you might want to check www.pickett.co.uk

10. Avebury

Avebury Senior member

I think it all depends if you want a 'bag for life'. The appeal of good quality leather is in seeing it age and develop patina, but that take time, due care and attention. If you anticipate having your bag only for "a few years", I'd buy something that you like the look of, but is not too expensive, at least not over £100. That way you'll know if you want to get a better bag at some point in the future and the styles you really like. Have you considered a good canvas bag - light, smart, practical? I have one made for Ducker and Son - a beautiful thing. All canvas, brass and leather. Just over £80 new. If you want leather, Tusting make satchel style bags, which are excellent. Personally, I can't stand the traditional bulky briefcase - it's like hauling coal with you wherever you go. A satchel style bag can be worn formally or casually. It's really a 'country bag' style.

http://www.duckerandson.co.uk/

http://www.tusting.co.uk/1_lev2_Leather_Briefcases.asp

Bespoke is tricky. There are various makers on the web.

I considered making one myself - master the saddle stitch and you are there. You can buy patterns, brass locks, buckles and fittings fairly easily. However, tis' expensive to do.

11. Avebury

Avebury Senior member

Ducker are a tad 'old fashioned'. Can't buy online. I bought this one ages ago - not on website now. Hopefully, they still make it. Handmade in Wales.
    [​IMG]

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I think it all depends if you want a 'bag for life'. The appeal of good quality leather is in seeing it age and develop patina, but that take time, due care and attention. If you anticipate having your bag only for "a few years", I'd buy something that you like the look of, but is not too expensive, at least not over £100. That way you'll know if you want to get a better bag at some point in the future and the styles you really like. Have you considered a good canvas bag - light, smart, practical? I have one made for Ducker and Son - a beautiful thing. All canvas, brass and leather. Just over £80 new. If you want leather, Tusting make satchel style bags, which are excellent. Personally, I can't stand the traditional bulky briefcase - it's like hauling coal with you wherever you go. A satchel style bag can be worn formally or casually. It's really a 'country bag' style. http://www.duckerandson.co.uk/ http://www.tusting.co.uk/1_lev2_Leather_Briefcases.asp Bespoke is tricky. There are various makers on the web. I considered making one myself - master the saddle stitch and you are there. You can buy patterns, brass locks, buckles and fittings fairly easily. However, tis' expensive to do.
    Ducker and Son look fantastic! Considering one of their bags. As an aside, who makes their shoes? OP, I must reiterate, please do not waste your money with Mulberry.

13. Avebury

Avebury Senior member

Ducker and Son look fantastic! Considering one of their bags. As an aside, who makes their shoes?

OP, I must reiterate, please do not waste your money with Mulberry.

Ithe word on the SF is Grenson.

I get quite OCD when looking for desirable items! I looked at Hardy, Barbour, you name it but Ducker stood head and shoulders above everything else. Barbour do a leather briefcase, called strangely enough 'leather briefcase', but if you examine it closely the leather buckle straps are made of two pieces of thin leather sewn together. The buckles are also 'antiqued' to appear old - some sort of nasty coating. In contrast, the Ducker bag is handmade, the buckle straps are solid leather in a chestnut colour, the fittings solid brass. They now have a nice genuine patina.

By the way, Hardy bags are now made in China. I believe it kicked off a s***storm last year - I was one of many people who complained. Didn't notice the small 'Made in China' tag hidden at the bottom of the bag when I bought it. Hardy replaced it for a British made one which was good of them. A different bag completely. If you consider Hardy, contact their factory shop or the company - they may have some British made ones left in stock. I use mine for fishing.

My Ducker bag is the 'large' version in olive, actually a pale moss green. You can also get khaki.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Ive decided to get a bespoke bag from chapman. They don't have off the shelf ones I particularly like nore do they have the colour I want for the ordinary ones so I think bespoke is the best option. Does anyone here own one? I live quite near their factory so I can go to see what they are like.