• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Muay Thai

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just started doing Muay Thai and it's an amazing workout! I'm having difficulty finding the equipment I want from someone in America. Everything is in Thailand (obviously) and can take a month or two to get here.

Anybody know of any good companies that have stock in the U.S.?

I am looking for gloves, shin guards, shorts... Any recommendations on good names? I really like fairtex but not sure what else is good.

Thanks in advance.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy most of my MA supplies from e-bogu

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I just started doing Muay Thai and it's an amazing workout! I'm having difficulty finding the equipment I want from someone in America. Everything is in Thailand (obviously) and can take a month or two to get here.

Anybody know of any good companies that have stock in the U.S.?

I am looking for gloves, shin guards, shorts... Any recommendations on good names? I really like fairtex but not sure what else is good.

Thanks in advance.

ok, if you want the best, get it from fairtex:

http://www.fairtexgear.com/

another good thai brand that is available in the u.s. is windy which is sold by ringside:

http://www.ringside.com/SearchResult...ategoryID=2353

that's it.

don't buy from an all-in-one discount martial arts place, because they won't carry the stuff you need for muay thai. good luck!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
don't buy from an all-in-one discount martial arts place, because they won't carry the stuff you need for muay thai. good luck!

Can't chintz on this stuff. Had a guy break my rib through a practice pad once. Managed to hit my kidney with the same blow, and it dropped me to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I blacked out for a couple of seconds, but the guy, my instructor, grabbed me up and I came to standing on my feet. Really weird.

Thinking about it now, I'd be hard pressed to explain how he managed to do both with a single knee, but I'm pretty sure he did, unless I broke the rib separately and didn't realize it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Can't chintz on this stuff. Had a guy break my rib through a practice pad once. Managed to hit my kidney with the same blow, and it dropped me to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I blacked out for a couple of seconds, but the guy, my instructor, grabbed me up and I came to standing on my feet. Really weird. Thinking about it now, I'd be hard pressed to explain how he managed to do both with a single knee, but I'm pretty sure he did, unless I broke the rib separately and didn't realize it.
Wuss... you gotta pull a Jean Claude Van Damme and taunt your opponent by slapping your side, inviting him to kick you in the torso as hard as he can, then sit there and trade rib kicks over and over for three or four minutes. Then you have two options, either stand back and flick him two or three times in the face with your leg (without lowering your leg of course) or perform multiple spinning reverse jump kicks to your opponents head until he drops. DUH. Don't forget to stretch beforehand by doing the splits while your legs are tied to two trees. Also, dropping coconuts or bowling balls or something out of a tree onto your abs is a really good way to build up tolerance to being hit in the gut. Either that or it will kill you.
block.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Can't chintz on this stuff. Had a guy break my rib through a practice pad once. Managed to hit my kidney with the same blow, and it dropped me to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I blacked out for a couple of seconds, but the guy, my instructor, grabbed me up and I came to standing on my feet. Really weird.

Thinking about it now, I'd be hard pressed to explain how he managed to do both with a single knee, but I'm pretty sure he did, unless I broke the rib separately and didn't realize it.

I'm hurting to think of it.

I was injured in Tae Kwon Do by a relentless kick to the shin, rather it was my kick and the shin hit the other guy's elbow.

That hurt. A lot. I was wearing some cheapass shinguards.

As of now I have not injured myself doing Muay Thai yet, aside from splitting my feet open a little from badly-aimed bag kicks. Thats my fault.

Ramses

Reaction score
I mimic Sagat's moves from Street Fight Alpha 3 as well as various Sammo Hung moves.

sagat-super2.gif

sagat-ttigergenocide.gif

Tiger Genocide!

mizanation

Reaction score
here's what you need and what i personally use:

a few pairs of fairtex extra-long handwraps.
a pair of fairtex 16 oz training gloves that you can use for bag work and sparring.
fairtex headgear that protects the chin and cheek bones.
a pair of lightweight fairtex shinguards.

oh, and make sure you get a good mouthpiece. any of the cheap ones will do the job. however, i had my dentist make one from a cast of my teeth. the best fitting mouthpiece i ever owned! plus, she threw it in for free when i bought my nightguard (which i never use...)

and get a steel thai cup. also from fairtex.

and while you're at it, you might as well get some cool looking MT trunks.
wink.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's what you need and what i personally use:

a few pairs of fairtex extra-long handwraps.
a pair of fairtex 16 oz training gloves that you can use for bag work and sparring.
fairtex headgear that protects the chin and cheek bones.
a pair of lightweight fairtex shinguards.

oh, and make sure you get a good mouthpiece. any of the cheap ones will do the job. however, i had my dentist make one from a cast of my teeth. the best fitting mouthpiece i ever owned! plus, she threw it in for free when i bought my nightguard (which i never use...)

and get a steel thai cup. also from fairtex.

and while you're at it, you might as well get some cool looking MT trunks.
wink.gif

All of things you mentioned are what I need to get. Although, I don't need the headgear yet. Thanks for the link. I was on their website and I couldn't find the gear for some reason. I also signed up for their forum but the administrater hasn't emailed me back so I haven't been able to sign on?

I went to a gym to try BJJ and they had boxing there also. I was more excited about the boxing so I found a gym closer to me that had boxing, took a free class (I boxed for a little bit years ago) and saw people in another class doing boxing but they were also kicking, elbowing and such. THAT looked even better than boxing so I signed up. I think I found the perfect sport! I loved boxing but the gym I went to before pushed me too far too fast and I quit. I didn't think I'd find a better workout than boxing but I guess I was wrong!

Edit: Is there a difference between the "professional" shin guards or the regular? The pro ones just look like they are smaller. I'd rather get those as I hate any extra weight.

I was going to get the ankle wraps also.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, fairtex has two separate sites, one for their schools and fight team and one for their online store.

go here:

http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_docu...gear_index.asp

when you get a good base in muay thai, _definitely_ try BJJ, you'll find that it's a lot more cerebral, and a different type of workout.

That's what I was thinking. I want to get in shape first and get some experience and then try BJJ to round out my experience. For now, I just need to learn to kick with my shins and stop making my feet black and blue.
sarcasm.gif

mizanation

Reaction score
good luck, tck13.

all this gear talk makes me wanna get some new stuff
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads