• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Muay Thai/ Thai Boxing

Nicogs1

New Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have been super health conscious all throughout high school. I took all kinds of supplements, lifted weights, and ran a lot to keep in shape. But then winter break or summer break would come along and I would see my body loosing muscle tonality and I would gain a little fat because I got lazy and just wanted to have fun. Aout a year and a half ago I got into this Martial Art called Muay Thai, also known as Thai Boxing. The workouts were super hard, but eventually my body got use to it. The thing about Muay Thai is that I no longer have to take supplements to stay in shape, I still run often, but I also eat whatever I want and I never really see the consiquences and I feel a lot stronger than when I lifted weights. I lifted about 5 times a week, but now I just do 3 days a week of Muay Thai training and I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life.
 

mkerr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
probably didn't need supplements before it either.
 

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
8,739
Reaction score
43
I've lost 40 lbs since starting Muay Thai back in June.
 

mkerr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by bkstone
Supplements is only suppose to help provide extra nutrients and vitamins often needed for heavy weight lifting.


thanks, i didn't know.
 

lizmasc

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
You were probably overtraining if you were lifting 5 times a week, meaning the body wasn't resting enough to show any real strength. Now doing some of the bodyweight exercices in class (less taxing) for 3 days a week seems to be the amount of effort your body can cope with
 

Nomad_K

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by lizmasc
You were probably overtraining if you were lifting 5 times a week, meaning the body wasn't resting enough to show any real strength. Now doing some of the bodyweight exercices in class (less taxing) for 3 days a week seems to be the amount of effort your body can cope with


You found what works for you - if you enjoy it and feel great you can ask for little more. My only caveat with Muay Thai in the west is the variable quality of trainers - you see this in Thailand as well but the easy access to gyms and quality trainers makes it easier to compare. With a great instructor though Muay Thai is an exceptional art.
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
I'm off to Thailand on Thursday night actually. Woohoo...Lumpini
 

Nomad_K

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I'm off to Thailand on Thursday night actually. Woohoo...Lumpini

You will have a great time in Thailand! Are you going specifically to train? If so let me know where you are headed.

Also, have you read up on farang visits to Lumpini? You will find mixed reactions but I'd say it is worth a visit - once.
 

Largo

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Yeah, same deal as before? Don't go for the training fights, don't neccesarily get conned into the ringside (and overpriced at that) seats.
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
Ive been there maybe 7 or 8 times...and no, not a training trip. Fell for the ringside thing once, other times, in the back with the screaming and the gambling.

I wish I knew some place a little more 'underground' to go watch the fights....me and Bangkok have reached an impasse like that. All the stuff I know, Ive done to death...don't really have any friends there to take me to the next level.

Anyhow, a week in Thailand, trip with the boys. First three days in BKK, next three in Hua Hin. May do the last night in Pattaya.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
I am very jealous, but even if I was there I wouldn't be able to have all the "guy" fun with you.

have a blast.

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Ive been there maybe 7 or 8 times...and no, not a training trip. Fell for the ringside thing once, other times, in the back with the screaming and the gambling.

I wish I knew some place a little more 'underground' to go watch the fights....me and Bangkok have reached an impasse like that. All the stuff I know, Ive done to death...don't really have any friends there to take me to the next level.

Anyhow, a week in Thailand, trip with the boys. First three days in BKK, next three in Hua Hin. May do the last night in Pattaya.
 

Nomad_K

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Ive been there maybe 7 or 8 times...and no, not a training trip. Fell for the ringside thing once, other times, in the back with the screaming and the gambling.

I wish I knew some place a little more 'underground' to go watch the fights....me and Bangkok have reached an impasse like that. All the stuff I know, Ive done to death...don't really have any friends there to take me to the next level.

Anyhow, a week in Thailand, trip with the boys. First three days in BKK, next three in Hua Hin. May do the last night in Pattaya.


Being in the back is more fun, but the special foreign pricing regardless of the location gets old after you live there.

As for more 'underground' - there isn't that much 'beautiful Muay Thai' as one trainer called it nowadays in general. For more atmosphere your best bet is to head up to smaller cities in Isaan. I'm not in Thailand at the moment, otherwise I could show you around Bangkok a bit but to be bluntly honest, most of my time away from work is spent at the gym, working on what is left of my golf game, or catching up with friends. Both expat and Thai alike they tend to gravitate to the same places along Sukhumvit. There are a few nice out of the way restaraunts to hit, the odd bar open past the standard closing time etc but nothing that you would write home about after being to Thailand half a dozen times.

If you haven't been down to some of the smaller islands in the south, along the western border with Myanmar, or up to Chiang Rai those would be my recomendations for a future trip to see some of the nicer parts of Thailand.

EDIT - you live in Saigon? If you have been around Vietnam a bit then aside from good Thai food, you have probably had some more enjoyable SE Asian experiences than most foreigners living in Thailand.
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
Originally Posted by Nomad_K
EDIT - you live in Saigon? If you have been around Vietnam a bit then aside from good Thai food, you have probably had some more enjoyable SE Asian experiences than most foreigners living in Thailand.
Oh my gallivanting has been well documented


Thanks for the pointers though. Ill be staying in an apt on Soi 4, pretty decent proximity to the sort of nights out that my friends have in mind.
 

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
14,670
Reaction score
1,905
I had the best 2 hour workout last night, I love my MT gym. I used to do MMA and lifting, then just lifting, and now just Muay Thai (with a little 20 minute circuit before I start training). I feel great, and I'm much leaner and less bulky than I was before. Fitting in clothes instead of busting through them is great.
 

West24

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
3,959
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by Eason
I had the best 2 hour workout last night, I love my MT gym. I used to do MMA and lifting, then just lifting, and now just Muay Thai (with a little 20 minute circuit before I start training). I feel great, and I'm much leaner and less bulky than I was before. Fitting in clothes instead of busting through them is great.

dont do it youre a bitch.


 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 69 8.8%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 2.9%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.2%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 50 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,808
Messages
9,224,471
Members
193,630
Latest member
j-fashionfan
Top