• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTV: Harmless Diversion or Social Cancer?

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Now I'm all about freedoms, so I'm not calling for more regulation or anything, but just watching MTV for the first time in months, interesting show on True Life, about young people trying to raise their brothers, sisters, etc, but watching some of these commercials is making my head feel like its going to explode...

Paris Hilton's reality show...

The Hills trailers...

Some show about Twins" with some steroid-ed out guy with barb wire tattoos around his neck/clavicle areas...

Oh man, kids are watching this ****? Lord help us...

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say somewhere in between.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1.
But closer to cancer IMHO.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Social cancer, no question. Everytime some person bitches about BET ruining young black kids, I think MTV is just as bad.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Social cancer, no question. Everytime some person bitches about BET ruining young black kids, I think MTV is just as bad.

It's like a choice between prostate cancer and testicular cancer.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at least some cancers can be treated. mtv is worse.

PolePosition

Reaction score
MTV used to be about MUSIC....now its full of horrid reality shows glorifying people that waste their lives. I'm glad my only exposure to TV now is when visiting friends.

MTV = social cancer

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTV is abhorrent, in every way.
From the perspective of a parent of 2 girls (young 5 and 3), I am mortified.
From the perspective of an aging man, it is boring and I dont understand half of the words or social ques, but what I do understand is horrifying.
The general "goals and aspirations to shoot for" are rotten to the core.

CANCER

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't watched it in 10 years so I wouldn't know, but my guess would be social cancer, right up there with Sex and the City.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily lump SATC into the same category as MTV. Granted, they both promote excessive spending and emphasis on materialism, but at least SATC is targeted to a more mature female demographic. In any case, MTV is more of a free-for-all.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolute social cancer. Seriously, they are pandering to the lowest f-cking denominator and kids can't get enough.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I have kids they will not be allowed to watch it.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you the last time I watched MTV aside from the odd stop while channell surfing. Some seriously crappy stuff.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cancer in the end stage, man!

But believe it or not, even more vile TV exists. Women's Entertainment Channel runs a marathon every Sunday on wedding-related shows. To watch this programming straight through is to view a microcosm of everything that is wrong with women, the suburbs, America and the middle class. It all builds up to a show in the final hour called "Bridezillas." Words cannot even describe the horror...

My otherwise wonderful and loving girlfriend actually enjoys watching this...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Cancer in the end stage, man!

But believe it or not, even more vile TV exists. Women's Entertainment Channel runs a marathon every Sunday on wedding-related shows. To watch this programming straight through is to view a microcosm of everything that is wrong with women, the suburbs, America and the middle class. It all builds up to a show in the final hour called "Bridezillas." Words cannot even describe the horror...

My otherwise wonderful and loving girlfriend actually enjoys watching this...

Did she turn into an idiot? Wouldn't that show it is meaningless low-brow entertainment and not the end of western civilization?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics