MTO Overcoat from a Savile Row Tailor?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Does anyone have experience with the MTO offerings of the major SR houses? I have some old overcoating lying around that I'd like to have made up. I don't care enough for the cloth to get it made bespoke, but figure that an MTO offering w/ a fitting from a SR house may work well (straight seams, not much styling required etc.).

Am I on to something, or are most of these just an MTM product coming out of some random factory in China?

2. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Who are the tailors you hope to speak with and have either one of them make you an overcoat (MTM)?

IMHO, it's not so much the coming out of Asia (Chan's stuff come out of China and HK) but the limitations of the MTM service whereby not all the quirks of your body are accounted for, though admittedly, with a heavy cloth, it ought to drape right over.

4. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Why not get it made bespoke from other tailors. Cad & dandy, graham brown, or one of the tailors on and around lamb conduit street. You get bespoke but no sr bespoke

In this way, you can get a fitting as well

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

5. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I have seen some nice overcoat from Hayward, might be a good choice if you want something slightly trendy

6. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Thanks - I'm considering either KH&L or Steed's MTO program.

Macallan - I have seen some of the stuff from C&D, and have been unimpressed (I live in NYC, and Graham Browne doesn't travel here frequently.) If Jon DeBoise would conduct the C&D fittings in NY, I would certainly be interested but sadly, that is not the case.

Btw, both Steed and KH&L offer a fitting as well. I'm an existing bespoke customer of KH&L's, so I'm certain I may even get an extra fitting if need be.

7. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior member

doesn't len logsdail offer an mtm service? that might be an option.

8. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Well, in your case, there is little argument against KH&L, clearly they will know your measurements well and the garment will be likely come out close to bespoke.

The London C&D garments with Mr Brown are pretty impressive. It certainly does look nice to me but lack of a iconic cut.