Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MTO Alfred Sargent burgundy shell monks review

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ncdobson, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior Member

I'd like to share my great experiences ordering shoes from Alfred Sargent. After asking for shell cordovan sources here and on AAAC, I emailed Chay Cooper @ AS and received an astonishingly fast reply. We emailed back & forth, & I finally decided to go for Edens, an older model single-strap monk on the 87 last, in burgundy shell to AS Exclusive standards. My real problem was the size, since I couldn't make it to any of the US trunk shows and had no experience (as it turned out) with English shoe sizes. Based on a red herring pair of 10-year-old Cheaneys bought in the US @ a Church's retail store that must've been labeled in US sizes, we decided initially to go with 10.5. Fortunately I had input from Sarah Nelson @ A Fine Pair of Shoes and soon changed the size to 9.5. I paid my deposit and waited for almost exactly 2 months til my shoes were ready.

The 9.5 turns out to be just right. The 87 last has a nicely spacious toe box and vamp, while still giving a sleek profile. [​IMG]

The heels are the only unlined part of the interior of the shoes (for whatever it's worth), & they have a small springy insert that I really like. [​IMG]

The shell is nice and thick, & I find the burgundy much subtler and more interesting than Alden's #8. One thing that should be mentioned is that there's is a tangible seam in the insteps where the vamp material meets 1 of the 2 pieces that form the back of the shoe. The seam in noticeable for about a minute when I put the shoes on, but then I get used to it & forget all about it.
    [​IMG]

The fiddleback soles are a nice subtle touch.
    [​IMG]

The price of the shoes included shipping to the US, as well as the AS dust bags & felt cloth. I can't recommend Sargent's service highly enough & am very disappointed that I won't be able to make it for a factory tour next month when I'm in England. I've already ordered another pair: whiskey shell saddle derbies w/ a black shell apron saddle. I can't hardly wait.

Sorry for the mediocre pics.

Nick D.

2. Sleats

Sleats Senior Member

They are fantastic shoes and Chay is I agree a pleasure to work with.!

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Distinguished Member

I'm very please with the AS shoes that I own, but I must say, that last doesn't look very attractive based on those pics.

4. Sleats

Sleats Senior Member

I think thats more of a reflection of the photography than the last perhaps

5. Patek

Patek Distinguished Member

What, I pray is "AS Exclusive standards"?

6. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior Member

Quote:
    They're not done to handmade standards, but they're supposed to be higher quality than benchgrade. Semi-handgrade?

7. comrade

comrade Distinguished Member

Those are beautiful shoes. More my style than the models shown at the trunk show in
    San Francisco in September.

8. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

The heels are lined,

Throughout the shoe the lining leather is used grain- (hair-) side out. But for the heel section, the leather is used in reverse (flesh-side out).
    This gives more friction and prevents heel slippage.

9. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior Member

^Thanks for setting me straight. That makes more sense than lining everything but the heel.

Nick

10. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Senior Member

Just recently, I wrote a Sargent review as well that may be helpful to some here.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

11. kev777

kev777 Distinguished Member

Nice review thanks !